Discussion topic: Connecting Sky Q box and mini box via hardwire to router, third party broadband.

This message was authored by RicMetty This message was authored by: RicMetty

Connecting Sky Q box and mini box via hardwire to router, third party broadband.

Do both the main sky q box and mini need to go into the router, or can the main box be hardwired to the router and the mini box be connected to the ethernet ports in the back of the sky Q box instead?

The reason I ask is it saves the need to buy a switch due to only having 1 X spare port in my Zen Fritz!box router due to CCTV and hardwiring my work laptop.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Connecting Sky Q box and mini box via hardwire to router, third party broadband.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RicMetty wrote:

Do both the main sky q box and mini need to go into the router, or can the main box be hardwired to the router and the mini box be connected to the ethernet ports in the back of the sky Q box instead?

The reason I ask is it saves the need to buy a switch due to only having 1 X spare port in my Zen Fritz!box router due to CCTV and hardwiring my work laptop.

hi @RicMetty 

You are OK to connect the mini direct to the SKY Q main box but you would need an unmanaged  Switch if you want to connect your main box to  your Router via ethernet also, as the Main box does not have 2 connections 

RicMetty
Topic Author

Re: Connecting Sky Q box and mini box via hardwire to router, third party broadband.

@nigea99 that's a development I hadn't considered, thanks. I assumed it had multiple ports on the back of the Q box.

Would something like this suffice from Amazon? Netgear 5 port gigabit network switch (GS305) Plug & Play. And if so, would you just then connect the switch into the last spare port and add Sky Q & mini into the switch itself?

Thanks for the help.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RicMetty wrote:

@nigea99 that's a development I hadn't considered, thanks. I assumed it had multiple ports on the back of the Q box.

Would something like this suffice from Amazon? Netgear 5 port gigabit network switch (GS305) Plug & Play. And if so, would you just then connect the switch into the last spare port and add Sky Q & mini into the switch itself?

Thanks for the help.

I should state I am not a network expert but that one seems fine - I have a TP Link SG1005D which I think is cheaper than the Netgear.

You just plug a lead from the each SKY Q box into it & then a lead from it into your router - where you physically place it doesn't matter.  I use mine at by my main box  at the back of my TV and connect to the TV as well. with a long lead from it to my router 

RicMetty
Topic Author

@nigea99 Yeah, makes perfect sense, thank you for everything. Getting one of those now as it is cheaper �

Thank you again mate.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion