Discussion topic: Connect Sky Q to ethernet but mini box to wifi

This message was authored by Ommadawn This message was authored by: Ommadawn

Connect Sky Q to ethernet but mini box to wifi

Apologies if this has already been answered but can I connect my Sky Q box to my Truespeed full fibre connection via an ethernet cable but retain the wifi connection to my mini box. 

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Connect Sky Q to ethernet but mini box to wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ommadawn wrote:

Thanks. That's probably where I'm going wrong. I can connect the Q box to the ethernet ok but that knocked out the mini box. I guess I need to activate the Q box as a wifi access point and connect the mini box to that.

Hi @Ommadawn 

Unless you have turned off the WiFi in the main Qbox hidden menu it will automatically broadcast WiFi for the mini.  Provided you haven't turned off the main Q box WiFi you need to carry out a Network reset on the mini

Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Ommadawn wrote:

Apologies if this has already been answered but can I connect my Sky Q box to my Truespeed full fibre connection via an ethernet cable but retain the wifi connection to my mini box. 

Thanks

No reason why not @Ommadawn 

Bear in mind that the mini must connect to the Q box WiFi and not your router WiFi.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Ommadawn wrote:

Thanks

hi @Ommadawn 

yes - my main box is connected to my (EE) router via ethernet and the mini connects to the main box via wifi

BTW If you are switching from SKY as your provider you need to be aware that the mini would connect via a wifi signal generated by the main box (which will already be the case if your provider is not currently SKY) 

Ommadawn
Topic Author

Thanks. That's probably where I'm going wrong. I can connect the Q box to the ethernet ok but that knocked out the mini box. I guess I need to activate the Q box as a wifi access point and connect the mini box to that.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Ommadawn wrote:

Hi @Ommadawn 

Unless you have turned off the WiFi in the main Qbox hidden menu it will automatically broadcast WiFi for the mini.  Provided you haven't turned off the main Q box WiFi you need to carry out a Network reset on the mini

Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the main Q box (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).

Ommadawn
Topic Author

Ok  - thanks for your help everyone.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion