Discussion topic: Connect Q box to TV or Soundbar

This message was authored by Nick+the+Stick This message was authored by: Nick+the+Stick

Connect Q box to TV or Soundbar

Good morning. Having recently purchased a JBL Bar 1000, I want to know what is best, connecting Sky Q (plus PS4 and blu ray) to the soundbar (there are enough inputs) and then eArc from the soundbar to the tv, or plug the lot into the TV and eArc from the soundbar.

I have been told, definitively, the they must go into the soundbar. I have also been told, definitively, that they must go into the tv!

So does anyone know which it is? Or does it even matter?

Thanks

Nick

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Connect Q box to TV or Soundbar

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Can't see any reason why you wouldn't put them into the soundbar

I guess if the TV was doing a load of image processing then having them plugged into that would allow it to correct lipsync

but you don't want your TV doing loads of image processing.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Nick+the+Stick wrote:

Good morning. Having recently purchased a JBL Bar 1000, I want to know what is best, connecting Sky Q (plus PS4 and blu ray) to the soundbar (there are enough inputs) and then eArc from the soundbar to the tv, or plug the lot into the TV and eArc from the soundbar.

I have been told, definitively, the they must go into the soundbar. I have also been told, definitively, that they must go into the tv!

So does anyone know which it is? Or does it even matter?

Thanks

Nick

HI @Nick+the+Stick 

I haven't done any research on your specific Sound bar.

In theory it shouldn't make a difference.

Older  Sound bars/ AV Amps couldn't pass through the full 4K/HDR signal which meant  people would need to route via the TV.

Some TVs can cause audio delays resulting in Lip Synch issues so in this case better via the Av equipment

If neither of these affect your set up then it is a matter of how you want to connect.

Personally I route everything through my AV Amp - that way I can get on screen info about the audio signal from my AV Amp if I want which I can't see if I rely one the ARC connection from my TV.

Also I have more inputs on my AV Amp than on my TV  & I have more equipment than my TV could support & my TV Amp are only ARC not eRC - see next para.,

BTW The older ARC connection has a max 1Mbps bandwth (I think) which is not enough for the uncompressed audio from blu-rays (often the DTS Master or Dolby TrueHD signals average around 3-4 Mbps with peaks on some of my Atmos blu-rays around 8-9 Mbps) so these needed to be connected directly but now eARC can pass this through 

Nick+the+Stick
Topic Author
This message was authored by Nick+the+Stick This message was authored by: Nick+the+Stick

Thank you. That was my thinking, but I'm still getting to grips with it.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

"Older  Sound bars/ AV Amps couldn't pass through the full 4K/HDR signal which meant  people would need to route via the TV."

I'd forgotten all about that which is ironic as it's the reason I bought my current amp!

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Chodley wrote:

"Older  Sound bars/ AV Amps couldn't pass through the full 4K/HDR signal which meant  people would need to route via the TV."

I'd forgotten all about that which is ironic as it's the reason I bought my current amp!

I was using my Firestick 4K for watching Prime 4K for around a year  before I found out that they often use HDR10+ and  that  my amp can't pass HDR10+ through even though it can pass full Dolby Vision 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion