Discussion topic: Changed sky Q resolution to UHD now the sky menu is blurred

This message was authored by Jem-99 This message was authored by: Jem-99

Changed sky Q resolution to UHD now the sky menu is blurred

Upgraded tv to LG OLED and purchased UHD sky subscription. 

To watch UHD you need to change skybox resolution to UHD 10/8 bit from 1080p.

Has anyone found that once the sky q box is set to UHD resolution the sky menu is now blurred?!?  Changing the resolution back to 1080p fixes the blurred menu but your not able to watch a UHD movie in that setting. 
any help would be greatly appreciated! 

All Replies

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Changed sky Q resolution to UHD now the sky menu is blurred

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jem-99can you set it to 10 bit rather than 8 bit and does that make any difference.

Jem-99
Topic Author

@bob1234 Unfortunately whether the 10 or 8 bit setting is selected the resulting blurred menu is still the same. 

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Jem-99Somewhere buried in additional settings is "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" if this is not on it is worth trying. On the LG each HDMI input has its own settings.

Jem-99
Topic Author

@bob1234 I'll give it a try, and let you know. Many thanks for your help so far. 

Jem-99
Topic Author

@bob1234 Unfortunately that hasn't worked either. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @Jem-99 

Have you tried using a different HDMI port on the TV ?

Also if you haven't already done so can you try a power down restart of your SKY Q box

Use the remote to place it into standby mode

Then remove the power to it (either switch off at mains or remove the power plug)

Wait at least 30s

Then re-apply the power & wait for it to fully restart - this may take a few minutes.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

I've always found the Sky menu looks slightly blurred in UHD compared to HD. Turning up your TV's sharpness slightly may help. 

Personally I tend to watch Sky in 1080 mode unless I specifically want to watch something in UHD then manually switch to 2160p.

Jem-99
Topic Author

@nigea99i have just gone through all the HDMI sockets and reset the sky box,  all produce the same slightly  blurred result. 
Any other ideas? 
thanks for your help 🙂

hi @Jem-99 

Not really sure what the problem is - whether it might be  a box issue. 

I have escalated your post to SKY who, hopefully, will be in touch in case they have any other ideas as to what to try and/or might consider switching the box

Please see this link re the escalation and what you might see:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

If you are using Safari I believe you must make sure that 'Hide IP adress' is not checked in settings to be able to see it - if you have difficulty finding that setting then may be try accessing here with another browser

I think it's just normal and not a fault. Perhaps those who stick to 2160p mode don't notice as it's not extremely blurry, just less sharp than 1080p, probably due to the poor upscaling capabilities of the Sky Q box, compared to the TV's upscaling when using 1080p mode. Turning up the sharpness makes it look better.

@xenon81 wrote:

I think it's just normal and not a fault. Perhaps those who stick to 2160p mode don't notice as it's not extremely blurry, just less sharp than 1080p, probably due to the poor upscaling capabilities of the Sky Q box, compared to the TV's upscaling when using 1080p mode. Turning up the sharpness makes it look better.

Both my previous V1 box & current V2 box have been as good at upscaling as my OLED Tv.

I have never had problems with blurred or unsharp menus

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating. We've sent an invite to Jem-99.

Thanks
Tom

@nigea99 wrote:

@xenon81 wrote:

Both my previous V1 box & current V2 box have been as good at upscaling as my OLED Tv.

I have never had problems with blurred or unsharp menus

I'm on a V2 box and have always found the picture quality to be less sharp in 2160p mode, requring the sharpness to be turned up slightly (about 5 points on my LG TV).

I've seen people on this and other forums like AVForums and Digitalspy suggest watching HD content with Sky set to 1080i/p as the TV does a much better job of upscaling than the Sky box and I would fully agree.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for chatting to us @Jem-99 . Unfortunately, there was no further response on the chat in 48 hours, we are still waiting to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your chat has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion