Discussion topic: Can't log into Netflix via Sky

This message was authored by Maslen71Jue This message was authored by: Maslen71Jue

Can't log into Netflix via Sky

I know there are a few threads on here but I got a Netflix subscription with my Sky package but Netflix says there's no account registered when I use my Sky email address to try logging in. I wanted to ask a human at Sky - I found that impossible to do - so I'm stuck.

I'm using my SkyQ box to attempt logging into Netflix.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley Answer

Re: Can't log into Netflix via Sky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Shouldn't have created an account.

Did you do this process originally?

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Maslen71Jue wrote:

I know there are a few threads on here but I got a Netflix subscription with my Sky package but Netflix says there's no account registered when I use my Sky email address to try logging in. I wanted to ask a human at Sky - I found that impossible to do - so I'm stuck.

I'm using my SkyQ box to attempt logging into Netflix.

You don't use your sky ID password

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author
This message was authored by Maslen71Jue This message was authored by: Maslen71Jue

... ok, thanks, so how does Netflix know that I have a Sky / Netflix subscription?

When you registered with netflix (and your sky ID email), it should have asked you to create a new password. Netflix can't know what your sky password is and I'm 99% sure they don't handoff the login authentication to sky although that is technically possible.

have you tried doing a password reset on the netflix website?

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author

My email address isn't recognised on Netflix - so I created an account but it wants me to pay...

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley Answer

Shouldn't have created an account.

Did you do this process originally?

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/apps-on-sky-q-and-glass-using-netflix

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author

It says "If you don't have an existing Netflix account: You must create a new Netflix account and use a unique email address (you can do this on the Netflix app on your Sky Glass or Sky Stream)".

I don't have a unique email address, can I not use my regular email address?

They mean unique on netflix - i.e. not one attached to an existing account. Which was true of yours until you created an account earlier. Perhaps if you didn't pay then the account never got created properly and the process will work.

if it won't let you I would call netflix and ask them to delete it so you can start again via the Sky process.

or use a disposable / masking address which redirects to your real one, if your email provider allows it. gmail do. https://youtu.be/cYrx2ziA_k8?si=H44-omDYEDFazRaz

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author

Ok so this is now complete. But it was complicated. Because they used to let another family member use one account, I used my sisters login. But my Sky account was linked to theirs so Netflix changed email addresses around.

Unfortunately this meant that my sisters' account was now linked to my Sky account so I had to call them back and get it all changed. All in all, an hour and a half on the phone being very frustrated.

Anyway, it works now for both of us.

That's the kind of complication you get when using other people's IDs 😁

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author

It wasn't an issue until they changed the rules. 

Maslen71Jue
Topic Author

And this will be good learning for others. 

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Chodley wrote:

That's the kind of complication you get when using other people's IDs 😁

Switching home locations was something Netflix introduced when they added the Extra Member option. It happens if you don't use the "I'm travelling" option on the shared account which gives you 2 weeks use of the account.

Hi

I'm facing this exact issue and I didn't have an account with Netflix until Sky told me to make one to see if that was the reason for the error. Sky tech team says they've exhausted all their angles even after speaking with management and to speak to Netflix. They've basically said there's nothing they can do and the only option is to cancel Netflix through Sky and go directly through them 😆

Just wondering if you've managed to sort the issue as I'm stuck in a catch 22 also 😕

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion