Discussion topic: Can’t download or watch on demand

This message was authored by Terri268 This message was authored by: Terri268

Can’t download or watch on demand

Good evening,

I have just rejoined Sky and have the the same subscription I had before which is Sky Q and HD.

I have it all set up and ready to watch but I cannot download programs that I missed earlier or watch anything on demand. When I try a message pops up saying ‘To use this service you need to upgrade your subscription’

I’ve tried turning the box on and off again but no change, and also checked I’m in HD and not SD.

Is there something else I’m missing?

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Can’t download or watch on demand

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Terri268 wrote:

Good evening,

I have just rejoined Sky and have the the same subscription I had before which is Sky Q and HD.

I have it all set up and ready to watch but I cannot download programs that I missed earlier or watch anything on demand. When I try a message pops up saying ‘To use this service you need to upgrade your subscription’

I’ve tried turning the box on and off again but no change, and also checked I’m in HD and not SD.

Is there something else I’m missing?

Hi @Terri268 

You need to be in SD not HD

First check that you are not trying to Download or view HD or UHD content without the Q HD or UHD Subscription pack.
The Sky Q Sports pack and BT Sport if you subscribe through Sky are in HD as Standard.
Sky Cinema if you subscribe is also in HD.
Sky Signature includes BoxSets and Entertainment channels only in SD as standard.
Only free to air channels such as BBC, ITV etc are in HD. The Q HD pack is required for all other Sky Signature HD content, including Catch Up in HD, On Demand in HD and BoxSets in HD
If you do not have the Optional HD pack you need to change the Download to SD in All Formats (as HD is the default setting).
So that you do not need to do this every time it’s best to change your Download preference to SD in Home - Settings - Setup - Preferences.
This needs to be done on the main Q box.
Then if you want to download any HD content from free to air channels (BBCHD ,ITVHD etc) you can select HD in the All formats tab of the content . This will change the format for that particular download only but still leave your format to SD in preferences.

Terri268
Topic Author

@oldfella thanks for your reply. I've already tried changing the HD back to SD but the same message pops up so changed it back to HD. 
I do have the HD package added onto my sky Q package so I assumed it should be in HD not SD? 

@Terri268 wrote:

@oldfella thanks for your reply. I've already tried changing the HD back to SD but the same message pops up so changed it back to HD. 
I do have the HD package added onto my sky Q package so I assumed it should be in HD not SD? 

Hi @Terri268 

Check your package in your Q box .

Scroll down to the bottom of the home menu to My Sky.

Here you can check that the HD Add on is included in your subscription.

If it is,   Post back and I will Escalate your post to Sky

Terri268
Topic Author

Hi @oldfella thank you.
Just checked and  yes it says I have Sky signature and HD

@Terri268 wrote:

Hi @oldfella thank you.
Just checked and  yes it says I have Sky signature and HD

Hi @Terri268 

I have escalated your post to Sky.
You may receive an email or a private message inviting you to have a private conversation on the Community with a Sky Expert.

Look out for a chat bubble at the bottom of your screen inviting you to a chat
The link below explains how the escalation process works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Terri268
Topic Author

@oldfella Thanks so much for your help! 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

A small aside - while I'm not sure why anyone would want to, you can download in SD if you have the HD pack (and both SD and HD if you have UHD) - it's the other way round it doesn't allow.

Terri268
Topic Author

Thanks @Chodley for your message but I have tried downloading in both SD and HD and the same message pops up. I'm now wondering if I may have a problem with my viewing card? I will call Sky when their lines reopen this morning.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Terri268 wrote:

I will call Sky when their lines reopen this morning.

No need to. @oldfella escalated your issue to Sky. They should contact you here later. 

You need to watch out for a post from one of the team inviting you to a private chat and then you should see a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. You’ll have 48 hours to click on it and start the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to a chat reply within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky aren’t instant so you’ll need to check the chat thread fairly regularly.

This link explains what happens.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Terri268
Topic Author

Thanks @Daniel0210 😊 

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to @Terri268 to chat.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Terri268 wrote:

Thanks @Chodley for your message but I have tried downloading in both SD and HD and the same message pops up.

Yes I know, I was just clarifying that you don't have to choose HD over SD if you have the HD pack.

Hopefully the online chat here will resolve!

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating, we have had a chat and the customer explains everything is working fine now 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion