Discussion topic: Can SkyQ box be connected to TV that does not have HDMI?

This message was authored by Judibj This message was authored by: Judibj

Can SkyQ box be connected to TV that does not have HDMI?

Hi,

I have an old, but perfectly fine Sony Bravia Tv with SCART  access connected to a Sky HD box and no HDMI port. Sky have advised me that their HD box will no longer receive software updates and are offering to replace the HD box with a SkyQ box, but as I haven't got a HDMI port, is this possible.?
I don't want to have to buy a new Tv simply because they are basically discontinuing the HD box. Can anyone advise if there is an adapter to change the scart socket on my tv, to a HDMI port that can then take the newer SkyQ box?

Best Answers
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven Answer

Re: Can SkyQ box be connected to TV that does not have HDMI?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Judibj 

You can buy an HDMI to Scart adapter from a variety of online stores or shops like Curry's, but I think the problem you might face is finding one that is HDCP compliant, which is the HDMI security used between the box and TV to protect it from being copied.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven Answer

@Judibj 

You can buy an HDMI to Scart adapter from a variety of online stores or shops like Curry's, but I think the problem you might face is finding one that is HDCP compliant, which is the HDMI security used between the box and TV to protect it from being copied.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Judibj wrote:

Sky have advised me that their HD box will no longer receive software updates and are offering to replace the HD box with a SkyQ box

Note that the absence of software updates is frankly a marketing red herring: your Sky+ HD box will continue to operate as it does now, probably until satellite television ceases to be a thing.  There are no 'updates' which will bring it additional functionality, and the operating system is mature enough to no longer require patching.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Sky+HD boxes aren't being discontinued. They'll continue to operate for the foreseeable future, though some of the more peripheral services, like the interactive service, and red button services have been withdrawn. The life of your Sky+HD box is likely to be limited only as a result of hard disk failure, so there's no immediate rush to switch to Sky Q.

All that said, there are HDMI to scart converters available, if you wish, some more successful than others. Make sure you find one the right way round, i.e. HDMI from signal source to a scart TV. They're not interchangeable,. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @Judibj 

As the others have said the lack of software upgrades will not cause your HD box to cease to function.

You may , also, wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q 

Judibj
Topic Author
This message was authored by Judibj This message was authored by: Judibj

Many thanks to all of you who took the time and trouble to respond to my questions. I remember a visit from a Sky engineer who told me a couple of years ago NOT to upgrade to SkyQ if it was offered, as my tv was unsuitable for it, so I was concerned I was going to lose my viewing capabilities. When I contacted Sky about it, they basically tried to sell me the Sky Glass tv set up, so that I wouldn't need the SkyQ upgrade at all. BUT.....as a result of your posts, I've queried Sky about needing to change the Sky+ box at all, and you are right, the box will continue as normal, until it fails at some indeterminate future date. So, on reflection, I will stay with the equipment I've got until either the Sky+ box or my trusty TV fails, at which time I can look then, at upgrading either or both. Thank you all once again for your advice.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion