Discussion topic: Broadband not connecting to sky Q box

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Broadband not connecting to sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Birchy23 wrote:

Hi Chodley

I cancelled my sky subscrption in November and was told I have to send back the 2 mini boxes. When I queried the ownership of the miniboxes thinking i had purchased them, they said i could keep them for a subscrition of £15 per month. I bit of a con really as the deal for sky Q is that you purchase extra boxes - the emphasis on the word 'Purchase', which has confused and misled a lot of people when they think they paid £50 each for them when sky now say they are only rented and the £50 was an upfront payment or installation charge. So to answer your qusetion, yes i effectively have multiroom using the sky platform without a sky channel subscription.

@Birchy23 I have never heard of Keeping mini boxes as multiroom on Sky essentials its a new one on me I wonder if it's something to do with the multiroom subscription not being active on your account as Sky Essentials is £15 but this normally only uses the main Q box 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Birchy23 This message was authored by: Birchy23

Hi, not sure what youre saying but doesnt take much to confuse me these days. Basically I had a package - not sure what they call it -entertainment or something,  but included sports and cheap netflix with UHD. I also had two miniboxes. So I cancelled everything except for keeping the boxes which they told me I could do for an onging subscrption of £15 per month. When I now look at my bill, it tells me its £20 with a £5 discount. 

just to be clear, its not multiroom. Its called multiscreen when its skyq with miniboxes - I just checked.

@Birchy23 wrote:

just to be clear, its not multiroom. Its called multiscreen when its skyq with miniboxes - I just checked.

@Birchy23 Sky keep changing the name from multiroom to multiscreen and back again they are the same thing 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Birchy23 wrote:

What else is listed on the bill/subscription?

Interesting one this. Sounds like the issue with the wifi is probably coincidental though.

@Birchy23 I have asked about this in a closed part of the forums and as per @Chodley question can you confirm what is actually showing on your sky bill 

This message was authored by GeoWolf58 This message was authored by: GeoWolf58

I went Ethernet and got connected straight away and it hasn't stopped working. Ethernet is more reliable than Wi-Fi by a mile.

Only multiscreen 

@Birchy23 wrote:

Only multiscreen 

@Birchy23 thanks for confirming that is there no mention of Sky essential at all even if it showing as a nil amount 

This message was authored by iangster This message was authored by: iangster

I have the same issue. My broadband provider is See the Light (a Sky-owned company). Sky 1st line advised me to change the box preferences to Active status. Made no difference. An engineer then visited and from the off he was **bleep**-sure changing the DNS settings on the box wifi connection to 8.8.8.8 would resolve the issue. The box then went from connecting rarely to now never connecting. Oh if only Sky had a handle on the products it sells. Will be calling them again this morning and asking for money off if they can't fix it. Really not good

@iangster wrote:

I have the same issue. My broadband provider is See the Light (a Sky-owned company). Sky 1st line advised me to change the box preferences to Active status. Made no difference. An engineer then visited and from the off he was **bleep**-sure changing the DNS settings on the box wifi connection to 8.8.8.8 would resolve the issue. The box then went from connecting rarely to now never connecting. Oh if only Sky had a handle on the products it sells. Will be calling them again this morning and asking for money off if they can't fix it. Really not good

Changing DNS won't cause that (it's not used during the physical wifi connection process) - something else must have changed too even if it was a random automated thing within the box.

This message was authored by Keeleymc This message was authored by: Keeleymc

I know I'm late to the party, but this is obviously a problem for a lot of people so I'm just commenting incase it helps anyone else. 

I've had the exact same problem as everyone else in this thread - my broadband dropped briefly last night, but everything else reconnected fine, while my SkyQ box just wouldn't. 

I tried connecting to a different wifi connection (my phone's hotspot) then resetting and trying my home wifi, as per suggestions in this thread, but that didn't work for me.

Following on from @Chemmy1987 's solution, i opened my Sky Hub settings by typing http://192.168.0.1/ into my browser, logged in using my Sky admin log-in.

My username was 'admin'. I actually can't remember what my password was - I looked it up a few months ago and saved the settings. It's either 'sky' or my router password, or my regular wifi password (sorry!)

Once I'd logged in, I went to "change wifi channel" from the quick shortcuts on the right side of the page. This opened up the Frequency options (2.4ghz or 5ghz). I opted to untick "synchronise 2.4 ad 5ghz". 

I then tried to reconnect as usual - by selecting to a sky wifi router in the SkyQ settings, pressing the WPS button on my router (in my case, i pressed it on my booster). the TV took SO long to reconnect that I assumed it hadn't worked but then it DID!

In my case, it connected to my 2.4gHz frequency!

I then went back to my Sky Hub admin settings, reselected the option to synchronise channels and it's finally sorted!

NB: At the point when you split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequency, you COULD change the name of one of the frequencies so that you can see which option is which. This isn't necessary if you're pressing the WPS button on the router though, and you'd also need to make sure you DON'T change the name of the frequency that the SkyQ hub connects to, because you'll then want to resyncronise and so you'll change the name back to your normal wifi name (so that all of your other devices can reconnect to the internet).

Good luck all! I'm frustrated that this took me all day to figure out, and I hope this helps someone else coming to this thread in the future!

Be interesting if that works longer term

This message was authored by Edge1 This message was authored by: Edge1

My router will not connect to the sky q box. This happens at least once a month. I try to connect press the ups button but it doesn't connect.

Sky router?

You sure it's the WPS button? It's well hidden.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion