Discussion topic: Broadband not connecting to sky Q box

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Broadband not connecting to sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GeoWolf58  Did you put a hole through that plasterboard wall?

This message was authored by GeoWolf58 This message was authored by: GeoWolf58

yes, i drill a hole through the wall, found it was plaster board and concrete! But i am ex-trades, so it was not a problem, i still have my good tools. As i said, it works perfectly now. No issues with Ethernet, i know from experience that wired is better than wi-fi by a mile and then some more.

This message was authored by nearly+retired This message was authored by: nearly+retired

same problem with only sky products not connecting. Both boxes are hard wired and everything else works on the network that is both 2.5 and 5. Everything was working fine on Friday and then suddenly stopped for no reason, it may have been an update, don't know. Connects to the network but says no internet connection;- very weird and suggests a software issue !

I even checked the settings on the router and all fine nothing has changed 

Any ideas 

@nearly+retired wrote:

same problem with only sky products not connecting. Both boxes are hard wired and everything else works on the network that is both 2.5 and 5. Everything was working fine on Friday and then suddenly stopped for no reason, it may have been an update, don't know. Connects to the network but says no internet connection;- very weird and suggests a software issue !

I even checked the settings on the router and all fine nothing has changed 

Any ideas 

Is wifi disabled on the Sky boxes?

This kind of thing is pretty common but not trivial to fix.

Worth trying turning everything off then startinh the router, waiting 5 minutes then starting the Q, waiting again followed by any minis. I know, painful but it does sometimes work.

(it's 2.4 by the way, not 2.5)

Sky Q to Sky Hub ethernet.jpg

It says you need to disable your wi-fi on your Sky Q box if you use an ethernet connection to your Hub. If you have Mini Boxes, you don't disable wi-fi on your Q box. 

@GeoWolf58 wrote:

It says you need to disable your wi-fi on your Sky Q box if you use an ethernet connection to your Hub. If you have Mini Boxes, you don't disable wi-fi on your Q box. 

I'm sure you can if you are not using wifi to connect the minis though.

This message was authored by KL23 This message was authored by: KL23

Hi, I'm having the same issue with Sky Q not connecting. I have Sky broadband and I t was working perfectly. WPS button won't reconnect and inputting manually doesn't work either. Hotspots aren't showing so can't try that fix either. Someone please help. This is driving me insane. Everything was working perfectly and all of a sudden for no reason at all, I can't access any apps 😩

Best to phone Sky and speak to someone. Sounds like you need a Sky Engineer to visit.

Phone Sky Faults , you should have the number in your documentation

@KL23 wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same issue with Sky Q not connecting. I have Sky broadband and I t was working perfectly. WPS button won't reconnect and inputting manually doesn't work either. Hotspots aren't showing so can't try that fix either. Someone please help. This is driving me insane. Everything was working perfectly and all of a sudden for no reason at all, I can't access any apps 😩

You 100% sure you're pressing the WPS button?

This message was authored by Birchy23 This message was authored by: Birchy23

A couple of years ago and completely fedup with connectivity issues, I moved everything over to Cat 5e Ethernet and turned off wifi on all the sky boxes. No more connectivity issues with mini boxes hanging every 30-60 seconds at one point. Just before Xmas,  we decided enough is enough with sky hiking up our bill from £60 to over £100 in a matter of months. We therefore decided to call it a day with sky after nearly 30 years. Now I dont want to put a commercial rant on a techy discussion thread guys so that ends here.  I decided to keep my 2 mini boxes for £15 an month as they provide a great front end for watching tv via the dish and remotely over ethernet (for the time being). Now I'm not a conspiracist but as soon as they turned off my subscription channels, my age old problem of connectivity issues miraculously returned. I checked all the settings over '001' etc and nothing appeared to have changed. So its either a complete coincidence, which i think not!!  or they've done something to our main box - maybe! I now have to reboot my miniboxes evertime I turn on my remote TV's. Thanks Sky!! Any ideas guys, without the suggestion of re-subscribing to the channel please 😉

@Birchy23 wrote:

A couple of years ago and completely fedup with connectivity issues, I moved everything over to Cat 5e Ethernet and turned off wifi on all the sky boxes. No more connectivity issues with mini boxes hanging every 30-60 seconds at one point. Just before Xmas,  we decided enough is enough with sky hiking up our bill from £60 to over £100 in a matter of months. We therefore decided to call it a day with sky after nearly 30 years. Now I dont want to put a commercial rant on a techy discussion thread guys so that ends here.  I decided to keep my 2 mini boxes for £15 an month as they provide a great front end for watching tv via the dish and remotely over ethernet (for the time being). Now I'm not a conspiracist but as soon as they turned off my subscription channels, my age old problem of connectivity issues miraculously returned. I checked all the settings over '001' etc and nothing appeared to have changed. So its either a complete coincidence, which i think not!!  or they've done something to our main box - maybe! I now have to reboot my miniboxes evertime I turn on my remote TV's. Thanks Sky!! Any ideas guys, without the suggestion of re-subscribing to the channel please 😉

Not sure what you now have for £15. Just essentials? That doesn't give you multiroom does it?

This message was authored by Birchy23 This message was authored by: Birchy23

Hi Chodley

I cancelled my sky subscrption in November and was told I have to send back the 2 mini boxes. When I queried the ownership of the miniboxes thinking i had purchased them, they said i could keep them for a subscrition of £15 per month. I bit of a con really as the deal for sky Q is that you purchase extra boxes - the emphasis on the word 'Purchase', which has confused and misled a lot of people when they think they paid £50 each for them when sky now say they are only rented and the £50 was an upfront payment or installation charge. So to answer your qusetion, yes i effectively have multiroom using the sky platform without a sky channel subscription.

Hmm I wonder what that is then. Because Essentials (which includes broadband so the pricing is obfuscated) is £33 a month and does NOT include multiroom.

https://www.sky.com/shop/choose/build/package?irct=bb-bns-deal-CTA2-qlite-sf35

Does it ever work at all? I would expect a clearer error if it was subscription related so I'm clutching at straws here.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion