Discussion topic: Audio drop-outs on Discovery Channel

This message was authored by Jibopedi This message was authored by: Jibopedi

Re: Audio drop-outs on Discovery Channel

Hi  I'm having the same issue.  31.8.24  08.25 how it's made.

Sky Q discovery channel, live broadcast,  dolby digital decoder.

The audio drops out 3 to 20 times a minute.  Only on discovery HD no other channels . I have a video showing this. The issue has been happening for months. 

Sean.

This message was authored by Area255 This message was authored by: Area255

Sadly, it appears that the only remedy currently helping is the workaround of setting the Digital Audio Output HDMI to Normal. I think there's a clue on that settings page which states loss of sound may happen if you system doesn't support Dolby decoding. Annoyingly, my system used to work fine, so now I'm wondering if this due to the feed from Discovery rather than the Sky hardware.

This message was authored by dlake This message was authored by: dlake

If this weeks 'Deadliest Catch' is anything to go by, the issue is getting worse. 4 or 5 times a minute at some points!

This message was authored by amyatt61 This message was authored by: amyatt61

Audio drop outs on discovery HD. 11:55 how it's made, live feed and also on recorded. It's also dropping out on most other program s on discovery HD, expedition unknown, 12:01 sat 31st august. switched audio on HDMI to normal and it's still doing it. Tried various configurations, rest the sky box no change. It's also doing it on the adverts. It's a transmission issue at sky. Possibly the encoder. 

It's actually still there in normal, but it's hard to detect, listen carefully and you will hear it momentarily 

This message was authored by Riga This message was authored by: Riga

I had the exact same issue at the same time watching the same programme.  I think it was also during the ads.  Sky needs to fix this, it's so easy to replicate and so many people are having the same problem.

This message was authored by Kingkenny73 This message was authored by: Kingkenny73

Been having same issue on DC and Hoffman gold shows thought it was a one off but happening more regular so annoying . Is there a fix our end or is it  sky problem ? 

I'm informed it's a discovery channel encoder issue, as sky are only an on pass through channel to the uplink 

This message was authored by Antigua79 This message was authored by: Antigua79

@amyatt61 @For me it's across all channels, even the dodgy 80's music channel. Also recordings. 

This message was authored by Phil2000 This message was authored by: Phil2000

Having the same issue only when watching Discovery HD channel through Sky. Sound cuts out 3 to 4 times a minute. 

This message was authored by Anthony1405 This message was authored by: Anthony1405

Had this problem some time ago, it disappeared and past few weeks I've noticed it again, it only affects the Discovery Channel live, recorded & streamed. Just tried the solution to reset the sound to normal, it's better but not solved.

Is anyone taking any ownership to resolve this matter?

This message was authored by Logic+Lee This message was authored by: Logic+Lee

3rd September Watching Deadliest Catch, Discovery HD and the sound dropping tonight.

LG 65C2 OLED

Sky Q2TB

Denon X4800 AVR

Sky connected to TV and using eARC to receiver.

Tried with eARC on and off. Dolby and Normal

SkyQ 2TB + 2 Minis, Sky Broadband, LG 65C2 OLED, LG 65B8 OLED, Denon AVR-X4800h + Emotiva, Bowers and Wilkins Speakers in 7.2.4.
This message was authored by Daveinbolly This message was authored by: Daveinbolly

Hardware as per previous post, though I changed the audio setting as suggested in an earlier post.

Initially I can't say I noticed any real difference one way or the other, so I thought I'd leave things that way and see how it goes, given I couldn't detect any perceivable change, that was several days ago. At that point it was "mildly annoying".

However, and after last night, 4.9.24 I'll be reverting settings to see what happens...read on.

I was trying to watch Gold Rush S13 Ep8 (recorded) and......It’s got worse, noticeably so.

The audio drop outs are more pronounced and more frequent. The combined effect of adult language bleep outs and audio drops means a complete sentence is a rare thing and the constant interruptions are ruining the viewing. Oh and it’s happening during ads too. The other thing I checked, if I "rewind" a recording where it's happened, it happens again, exact same spot

How it is that nobody at Sky support can’t replicate this is beyond me. .

So for me it's moved from "mildly annoying" to damned intrusive, to the point where I'm not able to follow the gist of the content. I'm sure the likes of Tony Beets might offer a suitable suggestion here.

To replicate the issue, do this, it seems to work for many here....

Basically all you have to do is sign up to an increasingly costly cont**ct, hook your kit up, and try to wa*ch stuff. I find it highly unlik**y that the folks repor**ng the is**e, including me, have a permu***ion of setup that is impo**ible to recreate....so that sentence is just for those that don't grasp how annoying it is.

I have to question the value of this thread given I stumbled upon it, after wondering if it was "just me", to discover others experiencing the same problem going back about SIX MONTHS.

I suspect in the real world the only way this will get resolved is if people start calling Sky to discuss contract cancellation or at least rate reduction, given the quality of service has degraded, whilst the price has increased. That's likely to be my next task on this one.

As for it possibly being a Discovery channel encoder issue, surely it's up to Sky to manage that feed, just as any company should manage a contract with a 3rd party supplier. We shouldn't even need to know that, as the expectation is seamless delivery, which it isn't.

This message was authored by andyDGla76 This message was authored by: andyDGla76

I've just posted a link to this forum and thread on X and tagged in Sky cause I'm bloody fed up with no action or response from Sky

This message was authored by Dazmini1971 This message was authored by: Dazmini1971

Given up on this now, there was a Sky employee who marked this thread as answered and hasn't even had the common decency to reply to any of the replies after his comment, shows how they have no interest  So wouldn't  get any hope on this being resolved. Been going on for months. Customer support at Sky is non existent 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion