Are Sky Q Boxes AirPlay 2 compatible?

Researcher
Post 1 of 19

Are Sky Q Boxes AirPlay 2 compatible?

I know that AirPlay has been available on Sky Q since it's inception, but now that AirPlay 2 is a thing, does anyone know if the Sky Q boxes have this compatibility? 

I suspect the answer is no, as Google isn't bringing up anything to suggest otherwise, but hopefully somebody might know for sure.

The reason for my question is that I've just bought an Apple HomePod, and I see it can be used for multi-room audio when connecting to other devices in different rooms using AirPlay 2, and if Sky Q boxes are compatible then it'd be a great way to get the same music playing in various rooms around the house at the same time

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 19

Re: Are Sky Q Boxes AirPlay 2 compatible?

@Diego+Tristan

I think that's very unlikely.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Oracle
Post 3 of 19

Unfortunately, the licensing fee from Apple for Airplay 2 is believed to be fairly substantial.

Almost as though they were trying to prevent devices being able to compete with the Apple Tv..

Researcher
Post 4 of 19

@rscott wrote:

Almost as though they were trying to prevent devices being able to compete with the Apple Tv..

Yeah, that's quite a likely situation I guess.

Sound Designer
Post 5 of 19

Now that a substantial number of tv vendors are going to offer airplay 2 to new or recently manufactured TVs I think it’s time for Sky Q boxes to offer the facility. 

Oracle
Post 6 of 19

@Stniuk wrote:

Now that a substantial number of tv vendors are going to offer airplay 2 to new or recently manufacturedTVs I think it’s time for Sky Q boxes to offer the facility. 

But the millions of Q boxes currently in service (and hundreds of thousands in storage waiting to be deployed) are not "new or recently manufactured": that would require another Q hardware revision.  

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Oracle
Post 7 of 19

I'd have thought Chromecast support would have been a better option - it's got cross platform support, for one..

Sound Designer
Post 8 of 19

If airplay 2 needs new hardware I agree it’s a much more difficult upgrade, perhaps for a future version of the sky q box but it may only require a software update. 

Yes chromecast would be a nice addition too. 

You can already cast from the YouTube app on iPhones etc. 

Director of Photography
Post 9 of 19

AirPlay 2 does not need new hardware as such, it just depends on the existing hardware and if there is enough processing power and memory.

The last and discontinued Apple Airport Express was updated to support AirPlay 2 and it was released in 2012.

Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 was updated to support, released in 2015.

so new hardware is not necessarily required, just depends if it has enough oomph.

you would think Sky Q would have enough power.

Oracle
Post 10 of 19

To quote What HiFi magazine:

"With specific hardware and software needed to support AirPlay 2, it's looking more likely older AirPlay products won't be able to automatically upgrade to AirPlay 2.

Sonos, for example, is restricting its AirPlay 2 capability to its newer products (Play:5 onwards) and promises it will be available in future Sonos products. Similarly, Libratone's current Zipp speakers received the streaming update, but it won't come to its AirPlay-connected Diva soundbar or other older products.

B&W has confirmed that none of its existing wireless AirPlay speakers - Zeppelin WirelessA5A7 - will be updated to AirPlay 2. Instead, the company is focusing on brand new products that will have AirPlay 2 on its list of features."

Director of Photography
Post 11 of 19

@TimmyBGood wrote:

To quote What HiFi magazine:

"With specific hardware and software needed to support AirPlay 2, it's looking more likely older AirPlay products won't be able to automatically upgrade to AirPlay 2.

Sonos, for example, is restricting its AirPlay 2 capability to its newer products (Play:5 onwards) and promises it will be available in future Sonos products. Similarly, Libratone's current Zipp speakers received the streaming update, but it won't come to its AirPlay-connected Diva soundbar or other older products.

B&W has confirmed that none of its existing wireless AirPlay speakers - Zeppelin WirelessA5A7 - will be updated to AirPlay 2. Instead, the company is focusing on brand new products that will have AirPlay 2 on its list of features."

I have to disagree with the comment “Specific hardware and software”.... it implies the wrong thing.

The “Software” part is easy enough to get.... from Apple.

The hardware would need to be performant enough to run the newer software, which it might not be.

but they are implying you need new “chip X”, which is not correct.

also there is the “Business Sense” element too....If the platform could support it, what effort would it require to update support for AirPlay 2... would we get more return on investment by selling new speakers?

It is a more complex situation than WhatHiFi are implying.....IMHO.

Producer
Post 12 of 19

One thing nobody has mentioned is that Apple would have to apgree to allow AirPlay 2 to be put on Sky Q boxes (if they could handle it).

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 13 of 19

@JonW42 wrote:

One thing nobody has mentioned is that Apple would have to apgree to allow AirPlay 2 to be put on Sky Q boxes (if they could handle it).

@JonW42 As Airplay is already a feature on SKYQ then I would have thought Apple would have no problem agreeing to Airplay 2 if it was compatable on SKYQ?

Oracle
Post 14 of 19

@Quoman7 wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@JonW42 As Airplay is already a feature on SKYQ then I would have thought Apple would have no problem agreeing to Airplay 2 if it was compatable on SKYQ?

I'm sure if Sky agreed to pay the license fee, Apple would be more than happy to let them include it. That's probably the biggest factor in Sky deciding whether to implement it or not..

Sound Designer
Post 15 of 19

You’re assuming there’s a license fee or even a high license fee. 

Apple May have changed its terms. There was talk on some sites of Apple paying to have iTunes on these new TVs. Remember Apple are trying to start a tv streaming service. Airplay 2 is another way of accessing that service on a tv via your mobile device when there’s no iTunes app available. 

Recommended Threads
21 minutes ago 12:53 AM
21 minutes ago 12:53 AM
Oracle 26 minutes ago 12:48 AM
Oracle 33 minutes ago 12:41 AM
36 minutes ago 12:38 AM