Reply

4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

Reply
Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 136 of 222
743 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984

Is netflix available as a trial period to check it out do you know.  And would it work better as a TV App or an app on the Amazon Fire TV.

I would like to try it and see the difference over Sky UHD broadcast prior to committing to a contract.


Netflix do offer a Trial period. Also netflix is a one month rolling contract and cancel any time you like. No 12 month period.

 

Also check if you got any offers with your TV., LG usually do some offers. Mine came with sky and I know someone who got free 6 months of netflix with their LG. find out if yours came with an offer or not.

 

OK the LG offer is up to £500 back if you PURCHASE BETWEEN 01.04.2018 - 10.07.2018.


I've had the TV for a year or more so unlikely to be any offers available now.  And to be fair I wouldn't know where to start to discover that.

Boom Operator
Posts: 54
Post 137 of 222
737 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984

Is netflix available as a trial period to check it out do you know.  And would it work better as a TV App or an app on the Amazon Fire TV.

I would like to try it and see the difference over Sky UHD broadcast prior to committing to a contract.


Netflix do offer a Trial period. Also netflix is a one month rolling contract and cancel any time you like. No 12 month period.

 

Also check if you got any offers with your TV., LG usually do some offers. Mine came with sky and I know someone who got free 6 months of netflix with their LG. find out if yours came with an offer or not.

 

OK the LG offer is up to £500 back if you PURCHASE BETWEEN 01.04.2018 - 10.07.2018.


I've had the TV for a year or more so unlikely to be any offers available now.  And to be fair I wouldn't know where to start to discover that.


A year ago is when someone I know got theirs and it would of been 6 months of free netflix. Usually they post the offers on their website. Some stores advertise it and some don't

Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 138 of 222
732 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@ianmerseyside wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@Nevlol wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@Nevlol wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

Just my 2 pennorth.

When changing from HD to UHD via the select or red button to watch football or F1 I'm not exactly blown away and barely, if at all, notice a difference.  I haven't watched UHD from other providers (not sure where to find it to be honest) so I'm unable to make that comparison. I only have Sky Sports and not BT Sport.

So I guess I fall into the 'I can't tell the difference camp'.

Sky Q 2TB Silver via LG 55" UHD TV


I just can't fathom how. F1 and Premier League football on Sky look "alright" on the HD channel, and I suspect that to be down to the source being downscaled, but it's still quite obviously compressed and when compared with the UHD channel there is a obvious (to me) step up in every which way one can define picture quality. 

 

What about other broadcasts that aren't 4K at source? Do you not see the poor HD we're all talking about?


No obvious step up to me at all.  What other broadcasts that aren't 4K at source? What do you mean?


Anything that isn't F1 or Premier League football pretty much. What I mean is that when Sky are broadcasting Premier League they are recording it at a higher resolution than it is being broadcast in on the HD channel and so at some point in the chain it is being downscaled (and compressed of course).

 

What's your overall perception of quality on the HD channels then? 


My overall perception of the quality on the HD channels is good.  My point is that when watching live football/f1 in HD, which looks good, I don’t notice any real jump in quality.  As an experiment earlier today I looked at some catch up in UHD from Discovery and Nat Geo.  Now they showed me UHD.  Quite a marked improvement of picture quality.


What Discovery/National Geographic UHD content is there?  I've had a quick browse through but can't find anything.


@ianmerseyside

I found some in the box sets.

Sky Q Menu > Sky Box Sets > Ultra HD > Nature.

Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 139 of 222
725 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984

Is netflix available as a trial period to check it out do you know.  And would it work better as a TV App or an app on the Amazon Fire TV.

I would like to try it and see the difference over Sky UHD broadcast prior to committing to a contract.


Netflix do offer a Trial period. Also netflix is a one month rolling contract and cancel any time you like. No 12 month period.

 

Also check if you got any offers with your TV., LG usually do some offers. Mine came with sky and I know someone who got free 6 months of netflix with their LG. find out if yours came with an offer or not.

 

OK the LG offer is up to £500 back if you PURCHASE BETWEEN 01.04.2018 - 10.07.2018.


I've had the TV for a year or more so unlikely to be any offers available now.  And to be fair I wouldn't know where to start to discover that.


A year ago is when someone I know got theirs and it would of been 6 months of free netflix. Usually they post the offers on their website. Some stores advertise it and some don't


Unlikely for me I reckon. I shall give Netflix a coat of looking at and do some research.  Would you recommend doing it via the LG TV App or via my Amazon Fire TV box?  Which would work better?

Actually now as I think about it the LG 55UH850V that I have has only one HDMI slot for UHD and my Q Box is plugged into that one.

Boom Operator
Posts: 54
Post 140 of 222
717 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

Unlikely for me I reckon. I shall give Netflix a coat of looking at and do some research.  Would you recommend doing it via the LG TV App or via my Amazon Fire TV box?  Which would work better?

Actually now as I think about it the LG 55UH850V that I have has only one HDMI slot for UHD and my Q Box is plugged into that one.


Go with the App on your TV. I looked up your model. The App will support 4K Dolby Vision HDR. The amazon box will only offer HDR10 and i doubt it offer Dolby Vision and Sky we don't know what it will offer when it comes.

Sound Designer
Posts: 98
Post 141 of 222
675 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

Beware when using the Amazon app on your TV of dropped frames or judder. I have to utilise the motion smoothing when using the apps on Amazon and Netflix to ensure smooth movement. I had this on both my Samsung and Sony TVs. With the Fire 4K TV you should not have that issue.  I am quite sensitive to it so perhaps it won't bother you...

First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,005
Post 142 of 222
654 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984

Is netflix available as a trial period to check it out do you know.  And would it work better as a TV App or an app on the Amazon Fire TV.

I would like to try it and see the difference over Sky UHD broadcast prior to committing to a contract.


Netflix do offer a Trial period. Also netflix is a one month rolling contract and cancel any time you like. No 12 month period.

 

Also check if you got any offers with your TV., LG usually do some offers. Mine came with sky and I know someone who got free 6 months of netflix with their LG. find out if yours came with an offer or not.

 

OK the LG offer is up to £500 back if you PURCHASE BETWEEN 01.04.2018 - 10.07.2018.


I've had the TV for a year or more so unlikely to be any offers available now.  And to be fair I wouldn't know where to start to discover that.


A year ago is when someone I know got theirs and it would of been 6 months of free netflix. Usually they post the offers on their website. Some stores advertise it and some don't


Unlikely for me I reckon. I shall give Netflix a coat of looking at and do some research.  Would you recommend doing it via the LG TV App or via my Amazon Fire TV box?  Which would work better?

Actually now as I think about it the LG 55UH850V that I have has only one HDMI slot for UHD and my Q Box is plugged into that one.


I have the same TV and all three HDMI ports support UHD. I have my Q box, via my video processor, connected to HDMI 1 and my UHD bluray player connected to HDMI 3.

_____________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 + 2x Mini, LG 55UH850V, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242,
Yamaha RX-A2040 (7.1.2)
Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 143 of 222
643 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@simon194 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@StargazerUK1984

Is netflix available as a trial period to check it out do you know.  And would it work better as a TV App or an app on the Amazon Fire TV.

I would like to try it and see the difference over Sky UHD broadcast prior to committing to a contract.


Netflix do offer a Trial period. Also netflix is a one month rolling contract and cancel any time you like. No 12 month period.

 

Also check if you got any offers with your TV., LG usually do some offers. Mine came with sky and I know someone who got free 6 months of netflix with their LG. find out if yours came with an offer or not.

 

OK the LG offer is up to £500 back if you PURCHASE BETWEEN 01.04.2018 - 10.07.2018.


I've had the TV for a year or more so unlikely to be any offers available now.  And to be fair I wouldn't know where to start to discover that.


A year ago is when someone I know got theirs and it would of been 6 months of free netflix. Usually they post the offers on their website. Some stores advertise it and some don't


Unlikely for me I reckon. I shall give Netflix a coat of looking at and do some research.  Would you recommend doing it via the LG TV App or via my Amazon Fire TV box?  Which would work better?

Actually now as I think about it the LG 55UH850V that I have has only one HDMI slot for UHD and my Q Box is plugged into that one.


I have the same TV and all three HDMI ports support UHD. I have my Q box, via my video processor, connected to HDMI 1 and my UHD bluray player connected to HDMI 3.


@simon194

Must be my memory. I have mine set up in a similar fashion but I seem to recall the Sky Q had to be in HDMI 2 as that was the only one that did UHD.  There was definitely a reason for it being plugged into HDMI 2 as opposed to the more obvious HDMI 1

First Assistant Director
Posts: 2,005
Post 144 of 222
620 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Nevlol wrote:

Beware when using the Amazon app on your TV of dropped frames or judder. I have to utilise the motion smoothing when using the apps on Amazon and Netflix to ensure smooth movement. I had this on both my Samsung and Sony TVs. With the Fire 4K TV you should not have that issue.  I am quite sensitive to it so perhaps it won't bother you...


Most Netflix and Amazon content is 24 fps and some 30 fps which is why you get the judder.

_____________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 + 2x Mini, LG 55UH850V, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242,
Yamaha RX-A2040 (7.1.2)
Director of Photography
Posts: 2,020
Post 145 of 222
603 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

@Morgan+McDonnell

 

I have seen sky q with uhd on the LG 55UH850V a few times taht a friend has.

The difference between UHD and HD is very noticeable.

The pq on that TV in my view is very good.

Not sure why you are saying it is not, unless I'm reading yopur posts wrong.

Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 146 of 222
600 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@lettice wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell

 

I have seen sky q with uhd on the LG 55UH850V a few times taht a friend has.

The difference between UHD and HD is very noticeable.

The pq on that TV in my view is very good.

Not sure why you are saying it is not, unless I'm reading yopur posts wrong.


I'm referring to the difference between HD and UHD, particularly in live sport (Football and F1) which is what I mostly watch, NOT being highly noticeable.  Not to go as far as to say I'm very disappointed but neither am I blown away by the UHD experience.  So no you aren't misreading my posts at all.  PQ?? Whats that?

Director of Photography
Posts: 2,020
Post 147 of 222
582 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

ng it is not, unless I'm reading yopur posts wrong.

I'm referring to the difference between HD and UHD, particularly in live sport (Football and F1) which is what I mostly watch, NOT being highly noticeable.  Not to go as far as to say I'm very disappointed but neither am I blown away by the UHD experience.  So no you aren't misreading my posts at all.  PQ?? Whats that?


Ok,  well I have seen the footie and F1 in uhd on that TV, as my friend like me watches that all the time on Sky.

PQ is picture quality.

I would not say its the greatets picture Ive seen, but not sure that was a high end TV when it was new a few years ago. But you can certainly see the difference. My friend did have his TV calibrated by John Lewis when he bought it a few years ago, if my memory serves me right.

Production Supervisor
Posts: 1,377
Post 148 of 222
574 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@lettice wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

ng it is not, unless I'm reading yopur posts wrong.

I'm referring to the difference between HD and UHD, particularly in live sport (Football and F1) which is what I mostly watch, NOT being highly noticeable.  Not to go as far as to say I'm very disappointed but neither am I blown away by the UHD experience.  So no you aren't misreading my posts at all.  PQ?? Whats that?


Ok,  well I have seen the footie and F1 in uhd on that TV, as my friend like me watches that all the time on Sky.

PQ is picture quality.

I would not say its the greatets picture Ive seen, but not sure that was a high end TV when it was new a few years ago. But you can certainly see the difference. My friend did have his TV calibrated by John Lewis when he bought it a few years ago, if my memory serves me right.


@lettice

Calibrating might be the difference then but as far as I'm aware it's an expensive option.  Expensive enough that I would need convincing the difference would be a LOT more than marginal.

Director of Photography
Posts: 2,020
Post 149 of 222
534 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.


@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:


Calibrating might be the difference then but as far as I'm aware it's an expensive option.  Expensive enough that I would need convincing the difference would be a LOT more than marginal.


Yes probably not worth the cost now. It is normally around £250 to £300.

But Im sure if you spent a little time with Google there must be some other users that have tweaked the settings.

That TV certainly need some changes rather than the out of the box settings.

Our John Lewis do calibration with a well known uk firm for a no cost option as part of the delivery when you buy a TV, if its £1500 +

Camera Operator
Posts: 282
Post 150 of 222
527 Views

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

It is possible I am wrong, but based on my prior understanding and a quick check on the John Lewis web site I don't believe the service they offer can be classed "calibration". Instead it is TV Installation and Setup.

 

Calibration takes several hours and involves placing a high quality camera and sensor in front of the TV and using calibration software such as Calman to test the TVs response. Then, using indepth knowledge of the TVs advanced calibration tools (not the normal brightness/contrast/colour settings) they will alter the Tvs response iteratively until they get as close as possible to the "ideal" response on a number of metrics.

 

If John Lewis do offer this service for free on TVs over £1500 I would be very interested, but I fear it is a much more basic setup service.

______________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB + Mini, LG OLED65E6, Yamaha RX-A3060
Reply