iPhone locked to sky

Answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 1 of 21

iPhone locked to sky

Can someone help I purchased an iPhone from sky molbile sky told me the iPhone is unlocked I put the sky sim in worked fine but I did want to use my o2 sim preferably but it's constantly saying no service

I have reset the phone to factory settings same with network settings nothing I spoke to sky who are adamant the phone is unlocked then spoke to Apple who cannot understand why there is no service then spoke to o2 who said basically sky are lying the phone is locked I want to be able to use my sim but sky said they cannot do anything.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Camera Assistant
Post 6 of 21

Re: iPhone locked to sky

@michaella1990 wrote:

Can someone help I purchased an iPhone from sky molbile sky told me the iPhone is unlocked I put the sky sim in worked fine but I did want to use my o2 sim preferably but it's constantly saying no service

I have reset the phone to factory settings same with network settings nothing I spoke to sky who are adamant the phone is unlocked then spoke to Apple who cannot understand why there is no service then spoke to o2 who said basically sky are lying the phone is locked I want to be able to use my sim but sky said they cannot do anything.

Assuming you have moved from O2 to Sky (and ported your number across)  your O2 SIM card will no longer work.

Also, assuming your O2 sim was PAYG and depending when you last used it, you may find it has already been cancelled by O2.

The fact some people are claiming their phones appear to be 'locked' to Sky through the sim I'd be mighty peed off if I found my old bought and paid for unlocked iPhone I gave to my wife (along with a new Sky sim) has ended up 'sim locked' to Sky and I'd be pushing for any charges I ended up incurring trying to get it re unlocked!

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 21

All phones that are supplied by Sky are unlocked but what might have happened is when you put your 02 sim in the phone would then lock to 02. To unlock it all you should need to do is to reset the network settings:

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 3 of 21

I have done that but still no service 

Oracle
Post 4 of 21

I think you will have to contact Sky for further help, they can be contacted via the MySky app:

https://www.sky.com/newmyskyapp

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 5 of 21

I really don't. O what else to do and the sky advisors just won't help me 

Answer
Camera Assistant
Post 6 of 21

@michaella1990 wrote:

Assuming you have moved from O2 to Sky (and ported your number across)  your O2 SIM card will no longer work.

Also, assuming your O2 sim was PAYG and depending when you last used it, you may find it has already been cancelled by O2.

The fact some people are claiming their phones appear to be 'locked' to Sky through the sim I'd be mighty peed off if I found my old bought and paid for unlocked iPhone I gave to my wife (along with a new Sky sim) has ended up 'sim locked' to Sky and I'd be pushing for any charges I ended up incurring trying to get it re unlocked!

Researcher
Post 7 of 21

The phone I purchased on sky mobile I was told by Sky the iPhone come unlocked but I have no service in any sim at all I tried my o2 pay as you go sim as that is the sim I have used for years that had no service either after speaking to Apple who told me it is an unlocked iPhones I contacted o2 to sim if there was a problem with my sim card they checked the imei number and came back as a blacklisted phone I have told this to sky and now I have to wait until an investigation is undergone by the sky mobile risk team as to what has happened as this is a brand new iPhone 

Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 21

What Sky told you is true, ANY iphone from ANY provider has been unlocked for the last few years now and they 'may' become sim locked when you insert the first sim card. I believe if you can see your network settings (which you can on sky iPhones) then you can use any sim card in the phone, even swapping between sims!

Runner
Post 9 of 21

All iphones ive had in the past including the last one i owned will be locked to the first sim you put in it, so if you put your sky sim in, it will be locked to sky, thus any other sim will not work unless you purchase a sim free version. 

Oracle
Post 10 of 21

That might be the case with your previous phones @rustgunns but with all Sky supplied phones they are all supplied unlocked so while the phone might sim lock to Sky when inserting the sim it can be unlocked by resetting the network settings.

I do not work for Sky.
Community Manager
Post 11 of 21

@rustgunns

For our phones, you may need to reset network settings to switch SIM in an iPhone but you won't need to pay anything to get it unlocked or buy an unlocked version. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 12 of 21

I am having this exact issue. The Sky sim works, my EE sim works but I get 4G but no data or internet services with the EE sim. 

I spoke to someone on the phone at Sky who said the phone was unlocked. He wasn't wrong. It is unlocked but not completely. Some menu items disappear when my EE sim is in the phone. I believe the issue is something to do with the APN settings that will not allow other sims to use the phone fully. It's frustrating. 

I saw someone mention that once a sim had been put into the device, it becomes sim-locked. That sounds about right and would make sense with the issues I have been having. I want to use both sims in the phone but if I have to go through all of this each time, I may have to send the phone back to Sky and get an EE one.

Does anyone know of a legal work around the sim lock issue?

Researcher
Post 13 of 21

Actually, please ignore that message. The reset did not work but I just erased all content and settings in a final ditch attempt to resolve the issue and it finally worked! I can now access the internet and FaceTime with my EE sim.

How annoying!

I will now put my Sky sim back in the phone to make sure I can use both. If it doesn't allow me to, I'll erase everything and start once more. As it's the first day of having the phone, I am not losing much in the erase. Would have been hopping mad if I had found this out much later.

Good luck, everybody.

S

Oracle
Post 14 of 21

Im not sure what you did @Shaeccspeare but did you reset the network settings ?

I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 15 of 21

Hey,

No, I tried it 3 times and that didn't work for me. I basically restored the phone to factory settings (it's not called that anymore though). I had to restart everything with my EE sim already in the phone. 

I have since been able to access the internet with both my EE and Sky sims cards in the iPhone X.

S

Recommended Threads