WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Researcher
Post 106 of 290

Re: WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Summer? This was promised in spring. Does that mean this will get delayed until autumn or later? Why do you have no schedule after so long?

Oracle
Post 107 of 290

@Thump wrote:

Summer? This was promised in spring. Does that mean this will get delayed until autumn or later? Why do you have no schedule after so long?

It was never promised for Spring. An approximate date of early to mid 2018.

Sky appear to be the first partner of O2 to offer WiFi calling, so it could even be that the timescales are dependent on O2 completing some upgrades.

Runner
Post 108 of 290

Is there any confidence this will be activated mid 2018?

I'm currently considering changing to Sky mobile but Wifi calling is important as I doubt we have a good signal, despite the coverage checker saying we do. I don't mind a couple of months 'making do' but if it's a year away it's not an option.

Sound Designer
Post 109 of 290

As I understand it SKY have unofficially stated that Wifi calling could be available "in the summer".

If you look through this thread you will see many very angry Sky users who have found that they are unable to get a mobile signal and without Wifi calling their mobile phones are unusable.

I have been waiting for a year for Sky to introduce Wifi calling and I am not going to sign up to their network before Wifi calling is installed and working..

Runner
Post 110 of 290

I have noted the anger and don't want to be joining the disatisfied customer list....

Just wondered if there was any update to when they say 'summer' if it's still summer 2018!

Sound Designer
Post 111 of 290

I think its risky to sign up before Sky introduce Wifi calling but if you dont mind the risk of joining the very long list of disatisfied customers then why not.

Researcher
Post 112 of 290

I don't understand why anyone is dissatisfied when even a little research before entering a long contract would show the feature isn't available yet? I'd like WiFi calling and Visual Voicemail too but I knew fine well it was a work in progress when I got my phone and sim. I even feel quite lucky to be getting them considering no other VMNO has those features so Sky Mobile will be ahead of the game there come the summer 

Sound Designer
Post 113 of 290

With all the negativity its extremely refreshing to see at least one positive comment!!

Boom Operator
Post 114 of 290

Exactly @Dov1978, it should be no suprise.

5 minutes reading would show that they don't offer any advanced features. Only enter into a year or 2 year contract if you are happy with that, which many are. 

Also Sky are known for their very loose timescales. 

Electronic Engineer by day, geek by night.
Avid collector of tech.

Current - Sky Q 2TB + 2 miniboxes, BT Infinity 2 with HH6. Many shiny things.
Current mobile Note 9 Dual Sim on EE.
Sound Designer
Post 115 of 290

Good to see that your note 8 connects to a proper network.

Sound Designer
Post 116 of 290

@Dov1978

Exactly, if only people did a little "groundwork" before joining any mobile provider.

Be grateful that  Sky Mobile are going to offer these extras in the future. 

Boom Operator
Post 117 of 290

Cheers. Very happy with EE. 

Was genuinely interested when Sky announced it was moving into the mobile arena. 

But, too expensive and lacking features that I have come to expect in 2018.

With its clout it should have been able to offer excellent deals.  I was hoping that it might have been a way to actually reward loyalty via the woeful "VIP" scheme. Rather than London centric stage shows.

Alas no, another opportunity missed.

Let's hope they change at some point. 

Electronic Engineer by day, geek by night.
Avid collector of tech.

Current - Sky Q 2TB + 2 miniboxes, BT Infinity 2 with HH6. Many shiny things.
Current mobile Note 9 Dual Sim on EE.
Researcher
Post 118 of 290

To be fair, yes we should all read the minute detail and exceptions in things befor signing up, but having had Visual Voicemail since the very first iPhone on O2 way back in 2007 (and WiFi calling for a while now) it's understandable that people, myself included (and I work in tech) would expect it to be included, since it's an integral feature of the iPhone and was one of its many original USPs, especially given Sky are using the O2 network.

In reality the bottom line is probably that Sky are not willing to pay whatever O2 are trying to charge. Having had a 'text support' discussion with Sky about this, the lady assured me they are 'working hard' to get these features available later this year. I hope so, or my tenure with Sky will be short.

Community Manager
Post 119 of 290

@hibitdat wrote:

In reality the bottom line is probably that Sky are not willing to pay whatever O2 are trying to charge. 

I don't think that this is the case. We pay O2 for the radio infrastructure but nothing else AFAIK. Doubtless, there are costs involved in enabling WiFi calling but again as far as I know they don't go to O2. Or if they do it's not that we're unwilling to pay out so the feature isn't being enabled.

It's unfortunate I can't give a reasonably accurate delivery date but I've been assured that work is underway on this. I believe there are legal shenanigans to wade through for the different manufacturers in relation to the feature as well. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Sound Designer
Post 120 of 290

Yes given the complexity of implementing Wifi calling that Sam has articulated it easy to see why the lady in your text has said later this year rather than "the summer" so later this year might be before December 31st.

Recommended Threads
27-10-2018 07:00 PM
11-07-2018 08:13 PM
10-08-2018 09:20 AM
09-09-2018 03:15 PM
03-08-2018 11:54 PM