WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Sound Designer
Post 76 of 290

Re: WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Absolute correct adding WiFi calling to an MVNO supplied service is expensive and difficult to implement its what will call in the trade "a non trivial task".

Community Manager
Post 77 of 290

wrote:

I think the main reason we're waiting so long is that it will require something specific to be created, packaged  & tested which will cost money. Sky bought a bargain basement MVNO package from O2, based on a reverse auction (cheapest offer) which came with no back end systems so it'll take some effort to enhance the service. 

To be fair - and I'm not an expert here - but most MVNOs don't have WiFi calling I thought. Not true WiFi calling anyway.

You can switch tariff at any time. Keep your data, we have our own SIMs, negotiate our own handset deals (pricing is competitive - latest models), there's sync to watch recordings on the go etc.

The two obvious holes in the proposition are WiFi calling, Visual Voicemail and, IMO, a power user data bracket. 

If there was a league table of MVNO by features I don't think we'd be at the bottom!

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Sound Designer
Post 78 of 290

I think that you have summed up the situation very well Sam. It just worries me that new subscribers to the Sky Mobile network do not appear to be warned that WiFi calling is not available at the moment as option and if they live in an area of weak mobile reception they may not be able to use the Sky network. Surely they should be warned?

Sound Designer
Post 79 of 290

When, I was with "Three" they had an "app" for WiFi calling.

They upgraded their system last summer 2017 (if I remember correctly) and then it became fully intergrated so the phone would automatically switch-over to "WiFi calling" if the signal was low.

Hope Sky Mobile do the same set-up.

Community Manager
Post 80 of 290

wrote:

I think that you have summed up the situation very well Sam. It just worries me that new subscribers to the Sky Mobile network do not appear to be warned that WiFi calling is not available at the moment as option and if they live in an area of weak mobile reception they may not be able to use the Sky network. Surely they should be warned?

I absolutely agree. I've been feeding this back whenever I can. Just saying "we use the O2 network so all the features copy over" makes for a better conversation at the time but it's not accurate. 

Sam
Community Manager

Community Manager
Post 81 of 290

wrote:

When, I was with "Three" they had an "app" for WiFi calling.

They upgraded their system last summer 2017 (if I remember correctly) and then it became fully intergrated so the phone would automatically switch-over to "WiFi calling" if the signal was low.

Hope Sky Mobile do the same set-up.

I'm hoping it's a "proper" WiFi calling solution straight off the bat and not an app sort of setup but I don't know the details yet. 

Sam
Community Manager

Sound Designer
Post 82 of 290

Yes three are one of the 4 top level mobile network operators and they introduced WiFi calling a while ago on their network.

Our mobiles are provided by ID which is part of The Carphone Warehouse and they are an MVNO of the Three Network. The reception in our house was weak and in January of this year we received a message soon after we updated to IOS 10 on our IPhone 6s mobiles that there was "a carrier update" and a downloaded occurred. ID then informed us that WiFi calling was enabled and it seems with IOS 10 Wifi calling is now enabled our IPhone 6s.

and will automatically switch over to WiFi when the signal is low. ID is a low cost MVNO.

I found a list of the Mobile Network providers and MVNO's detailing if WiFi calling is possible on their network without an external App. I cannot be sure that this list is exhaustive or is 100% accurate.

NETWORK       WiFi CALLING

Asda                             NO

BT Mobile                   YES

EE Mobile                    YES

Freedom Pop            YES MVNO of three

GiffGaff                       NO

ID                                   YES MVNO of three

Lycamobile                NO

02 Mobile                   YES

Plusnet                        NO

Smarty                         NO

SKY                                NO

Tesco                            NO

The people Op          NO

Three  Mobile            YES

Virgin                           NO

Vodafone Mobile   YES

Voxi                             NO

Viewer
Post 83 of 290

Very much needed n rural areas

Researcher
Post 84 of 290

Thanks for sharing this list - I understand it may not be in

tablets of stone but I am sure it qill

help others.. 

We don't utilise WiFi calling, but this thread has been very useful, we have learnt from others experiences.. 

Having considered Sky Mobile we have decided to stay with our current provider - who uncudently don't appear to support WiFi calling but we are happy with there service and have taken on enhanced services for slightly less money - thanks for the help!

Sound Designer
Post 85 of 290

Yes its a poor reflection on this country of around 65 million people  that so many rural areas are unable to get a reasonable mobile connection.

Sound Designer
Post 86 of 290

Thank you, it seems that you like myself have been lucky enough to read this thread and have not singed up to the inferior Mobile Network that Sky are selling at the moment.

Boom Operator
Post 87 of 290

I'm currently trying out 'Three in Touch' which is the 3 WiFi calling app. According to 3, the app will swicth from WiFi to Mobile without dropping calls, that's part of my testing. It's not essential but is nice to have. Three have been very helpful so far.

I was a bit surprised to read above that ID Mobile are offering WiFi calling, but surprised in a nice way as that's an MVNO with WiFi calling.

For those that are interested, most if not all integrated (without a separate app) WiFi calling will require a recent / new phone purchased via the respective Mobile operator as it will need to be running that Mobile operator's firmware. So for example,  AFAIK if you want WiFi calling on O2, you need a phone from O2 or a phone with O2 firmware. I think this is true not only of O2 but all others too.

3 have both integrated &  app based options which on the face of it gives more flexibility on the choice of handsets. On Android I think it runs on most phones at Android 4 or above. I have it running on my S3 Mini. O2 used to have the TuGo app but stopped it last year in favour of integrated WiFi calling.  The cynic in me wonders if that was to encourage people to buy new phones.

Let's see what & when Sky come up with something.

I disagree that WiFi calling is a 'niche' or 'power' user feature, for many of us it's essential.

Community Manager
Post 88 of 290

Great post. @cancunia 

When you mention niche, was that in relation to my comment on being unable to force switch to 2G on the nearest mast.?

Just to be clear I don't think WiFi calling is a niche feature!

I had to use it occasionally when I was on EE.

Sam
Community Manager

Sound Designer
Post 89 of 290

It seems that from this press release Three introduced native Wifi calling on Iphones back in January 2017. It also seems that if you dont have an Iphone of the correct spec I think 5s 6s + then you will still need the Three in touch app. Our 4 IPhone 6s work fine. Not sure what other phones may also have native calling. 

Three UK Now Supports Native Wi-Fi Calling on iPhone

Sunday January 29, 2017 11:48 AM PST by Joe Rossgn

British carrier Three has seeded a carrier settings update—version 27.1—that enables native Wi-Fi calling on iPhones.

Three previously required iPhone customers to use its free Three in-Touch app
 for Wi-Fi calling, but the carrier settings update released on Friday introduces system-level support for Wi-Fi calls and texts under Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.

We know that sometimes you can't get signal when you're indoors, but that shouldn't mean that you have to go off the grid. With Three inTouch Wi-Fi Calling, you can call and text whenever you're on Wi-Fi in the UK, even if there’s no mobile signal.

Boom Operator
Post 90 of 290

There are several phone brands that will work natively on Three WiFi calling with out the need for an additional app, but still relatively high end models. 

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

It's slightly confusing that Three decided to bundle both flavours of WiFi calling under the name 'Three in Touch'

Recommended Threads
27-10-2018 07:00 PM
11-07-2018 08:13 PM
10-08-2018 09:20 AM
09-09-2018 03:15 PM
03-08-2018 11:54 PM