WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Sound Designer
Post 61 of 290

Re: WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

It an intersting point, I wonder if anyone else has asked Sky to release them from their  mobile contract because of this issue.

Sound Designer
Post 62 of 290

wifi calling

VoLTE or WiFi calling would good we waiting too long 

ashley jones
Runner
Post 63 of 290

Hiya all....

I came across this thread while looking for something else and it's kinda confused me a bit....hey it's late and Im tired  Smiley Happy

When you say Sky doesn't allow "WiFi Calling", am I right in assuming you are not talking about the use of "Voice calling apps" like Viber, Whatsapp, Skype etc etc.

You are talking about making phonecalls over WiFi to pretty much anyone, anywhere as part of your usual braodband/mobile package???  It's the same as say Viber's "Viber Out" which you need to buy credit if you wish to call someone who doesn't have Viber installed...Yes????

Boom Operator
Post 64 of 290

WiFi calling is built in to a lot of modern mobiles.

It uses your ( or any other ) WiFi to make calls as normal as if you had a signal.  It's been a standard feature for quite a few years.

I use it every day and any normal service provider should have it these days.

Electronic Engineer by day, geek by night.
Avid collector of tech.

Current - Sky Q 2TB + 2 miniboxes, BT Infinity 2 with HH6. Many shiny things.
Current mobile Note 9 Dual Sim on EE.
Researcher
Post 65 of 290

Forgive me if this has been clarified previously and I had skipped over it however we are just about to port four family numbers over to the SKY Sim card only account.

Currently when I have Wifi I can use this to make calls via VOiP such as Whats App and Facetime, when I do not have WiFi access I am currently able to use my mobile data to make the same call over the internet, this simply eats into my data allowance..

I am reading into this that currently Sky Mobile sim card will not allow access to the internet (my data) to make these calls and I will only be able to make VOiP internet calls when I am tehtered to a WiFi?

Forgive the repeation in advance but this is important before we cross over fromour current provider - could I have it in real simple terms.. can i use Wifi spots to makes wifi calls on my old ios and if I can not tether to  wifi spot can I not use my data to make wifi call without the use of someone elses wifi?

Boom Operator
Post 66 of 290

No. It's nothing to do with apps.

WiFi calling is using your WiFi connection to make calls without the need for any apps when there is no signal.

For the end user there is no difference than using your phone normally.

Avid collector of tech.

Researcher
Post 67 of 290

Biomulv,

Thank you for the prompt response.. so if I wish to make a audio or video call over a third party app such as Whats App or facetime it IS possible, as far as you know to tether onto a local wiFi Hotspot or use my own data allowance to make an audio call or video call?

Your patience is appreciated in advance..

Boom Operator
Post 68 of 290

Yes. 

But the point is to make normal calls and texts when you have no cell signal at all.

Avid collector of tech.

Researcher
Post 69 of 290

I understand the point you are making and agree entirely.. however for my personal usage I am tying to ascertain some clarity around the point I was making about using local wifi hotspots and if not utilising my data allowance for wifi call via third part applications.. when you say 'Yes' would that be a yes to my query? 

Forgive me taking advantage of your knowledge/experience however there is an abscenec of Sky technical feedback on this particular thread..

Kind Regards and thanks in advance.

Boom Operator
Post 70 of 290

Yes, that was yes to your question. You can use WiFi with an app eg WhatsApp to make calls.

This thread however is regarding Sky's glaring ommission of turning on WiFi calling. A feature that is used by their mast provider O2.  And is a pretty standard feature these days.

It begs the question why anyone would choose them.

Unless you don't use your device at all, there are cheaper alternatives with all the features common place for the past few years.

Avid collector of tech.

Boom Operator
Post 71 of 290

wrote:

@cancunia wrote:

To make matters worse, there's a problem on the only mast near to me so the 3G signal is really patchy. There's a fair O2 2G signal, but for some reason it will not work with Sky. Sky tell me that not all O2 services are available to Sky customers... 

As per your thread on the subject. We have full access to all O2 masts. You were misinformed there, my apologies. 

As promised the other day, I said I'd report back on the above reply to my post:

Over the weekend, in response to a complaint I made on Resolver, I was informed by Sky i that it is not possible to get O2 to enable Sky 2G on the mast where I live. This is the same 2G mast & signal that works fine with O2 & Tesco.  I've challenged the reply from Sky on Resolver, and we'll see what comes of it. 

Back on topic, the response from Sky  was also very non commital about WiFi calling. 

Researcher
Post 72 of 290

Once again thank you fortaking the time to respond. I have re-read thr thread a couple of times now and as you say it is about enabling wifi calls on Sky Mobile, my ignorance led to hijacking the thread temporarily, I am now wiser though and hope that others benefit from mine and undeed your contribution..

I am more than doubtful around enlisting their Mobile services now so the forum here as proved benificisl sd it has made me reflect on swithching from Tescos

Thanks again..

Sound Designer
Post 73 of 290

If you are a tesco mobile user then you are already connected to the 02 network see below.

There are actually only four UK mobile networks – EE*, Three, O2* and Vodafone. All the other providers 'piggyback' – ie, buy space from – one of these four networks. For example, Tesco, Giffgaff and Sky are on O2, Asda is on EE and TalkMobile is on Vodafone. I assume that you are using the tesco wifi calling app.

Sky press release from 2016.

Sky (Sky Broadband) has today officially soft launched their new 4G based Sky Mobile service in the United Kingdom, which is powered by a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) agreement with O2 (Telefonica UK). 

Boom Operator
Post 74 of 290

Just been looking into this wifi calling and come across an interesting point.

Whilst wifi calling is built into the firmware by Apple and Android, on Android devices it has to be enabled as it is a hidden feature. In my experience (voda and the new O2 service), this is only enabled on carrier specific firmwares (or network branded phones) so I think, in order for Sky to offer wifi calling they would need to start making their own branded firmwares and offering branded phones. I am not sure how this applies, if at all, to Apple devices.

Maybe this explains the length of time we are waiting for this service?

Andy

Boom Operator
Post 75 of 290

Yes, I think you're probably right that it may require some kind of specific software although it may be possible via an app as well as branded firmware (ROM). Vyke & FB for instance use an app and are over WiFi, Tesco also on O2 did/do have a WiFi calling app.

I think the main reason we're waiting so long is that it will require something specific to be created, packaged  & tested which will cost money. Sky bought a bargain basement MVNO package from O2, based on a reverse auction (cheapest offer) which came with no back end systems so it'll take some effort to enhance the service. 

Recommended Threads
27-10-2018 07:00 PM
11-07-2018 08:13 PM
10-08-2018 09:20 AM
09-09-2018 03:15 PM
03-08-2018 11:54 PM