WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Sound Designer
Post 46 of 290

Re: WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

I am realy disappointed to hear that Sky's mobile network dosnt support Wifi calling. We were about to swap all our mobiles to Sky as they are offering a great deal but reading through this thread it sounds as though it could be very risky. I guess we will have to wait until Sky provide Wifi calling whenever that may be.

Sound Designer
Post 47 of 290

It will be sometime this year according to SKY Mobile - no firm date indicated as yet.

Researcher
Post 48 of 290

New to the forum and signed up just to say that it needs to be soon from my point of view as I have a new iPhone X contract with sky that I didn’t realise wouldn’t have WiFi calling enabled....it’s as much use as a brick while I’m at home!

i had thought WiFi calling was just a feature on the phone and didn’t realise it was a provider thing...my own stupid fault for not checking prior to ordering it, but unless it’s introduced soon, I shall not be staying with Sky after my contract ends

Boom Operator
Post 49 of 290

I was told that I could use TuGo for WiFi calling. Bought the phone and then 2 weeks later see that O2 have cancelled TuGo! I also have a very expensive iPhone X brick when I’m at home now, like the post above. 

Wifi calling soon please!!

Boom Operator
Post 50 of 290

Can't you send it back in the first 2 weeks and go with a real provider?

Electronic Engineer by day, geek by night.
Avid collector of tech.

Current - Sky Q 2TB + 2 miniboxes, BT Infinity 2 with HH6. Many shiny things.
Current mobile Note 9 Dual Sim on EE.
Sound Designer
Post 51 of 290

I don't think that you could have reasonably been expected to know that the Sky mobile network was unable to support WiFi calling when you purchased your mobile phone making the phone unusable.

It seems that there are a number of Sky customers who are in an area where the Sky mobile network cover is marginal these customer would have been using the WiFi option which is a standard option with the 4 level 1 mobile network operators.

As I understand it Sky have made what can only be described as a vague statement suggesting that the Wifi calling option will be available sometime this year.

This means that a number of Sky customers have effectively been sold Mobile phones that cannot be used on the Sky network.

We would expect that these customers should be able to return their Mobile phones and cancel their contract within the 30 day period.

We would also expect given the circumstances that Sky would also be prepared to allow the affected customers to return their Mobile phones and cancel the contract even if they are outside the 30 day period. This of course would be at the discretion of Sky.

Now that Sky are aware of this issue they should ensure that their Sales & Marketing staff make it clear to potential customers that the Wifi calling option is not available on the Sky mobile network.

We cannot think for one moment that Sky would deliberately missell a product

but failure to warn positional customers of this issue could be construed as Misselling I.E the deliberate, reckless, selling of a product or service that is unsuitable for the customer's needs.

Researcher
Post 52 of 290

Absolutely, if I’d realised within that time period that it was unusable at home for anything other than iMessage and surfing the internet then yes.

Unfortunately, it was a present to myself that I didn’t actually begin to try to use properly until a month had passed, as I had a company mobile. This phone was due to replace that.

Now, I still have my company mobile (as I’m uncontactable outside the office without it) and the iPhone X sits on my sofa absolutely useless for anything other than the above when I’m at home until they introduce WiFi calling

Sound Designer
Post 53 of 290

I am ssuming that your are prepared to wait for Sky to introduce Wifi calling on their mobile network?

As I have stated Sky might also be prepared to allow the affected customers to return their Mobile phones and cancel the contract even if they are outside the 30 day period. This of course would be at the discretion of Sky.

Camera Assistant
Post 54 of 290

@Sam-R - Could you clarify once and for all on what is happening? (CS state they have no answers)

This thread could just start getting out of control.

I also agree that Sky didnt make it clear when selling the Contract that i wouldnt benefit from full O2 network and services including no WiFi calling...

Thanks

Jay

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Just helping where i can. Or adding my 2 pence worth!
Community Manager
Post 55 of 290

Hi there, 

I don't think mainstream customer service would be told anything until we have a concrete date. So maybe a matter of weeks before launch, sometimes less. 

I have been told that we aim to add support for this alongside visual voicemail around summertime this year though. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Sound Designer
Post 56 of 290

Yes its good to point out that apart from Wifi calling it seems from what we know just a subset of the O2 network is being provided I.E the use of masts etc.  What level of mobile reception is available compared to O2 is unclear.

Sound Designer
Post 57 of 290

This makes  sense it would not be wise to publish a firm date untill the team working on the Sky mobile network have fully tested the new features and are happy to provide a go live date.

Boom Operator
Post 58 of 290

wrote:

Yes its good to point out that apart from Wifi calling it seems from what we know just a subset of the O2 network is being provided I.E the use of masts etc.  What level of mobile reception is available compared to O2 is unclear.

After 3 weeks of very patchy mobile service at home and Sky support not being able to tell me anything beyond what's available on the O2 website, plus a local 2G signal that works fine for O2 & Tesco but not Sky I'd say that Sky's level of reception when compared to O2, Tesco & GiffGaff etc  is very poor at best.  Sky have not used any of the O2 backend services such as WiFi calling. Now I know why it was such a competitive price! 

Sound Designer
Post 59 of 290

The details of the very poor Sky Mobile reception compared to 02 is very useful feedback.

As a very long term and happy user of Sky services it just seems to me to be very sad that Sky could make such a mess of introducing a mobile network.

I am glad that I checked the feedback on the Sky community before ordering the service. We can only hope that other potential Sky mobile customers do the same.

Boom Operator
Post 60 of 290

wrote:

The details of the very poor Sky Mobile reception compared to 02 is very useful feedback.

As a very long term and happy user of Sky services it just seems to me to be very sad that Sky could make such a mess of introducing a mobile network.

I am glad that I checked the feedback on the Sky community before ordering the service. We can only hope that other potential Sky mobile customers do the same.

I've also been a happy Sky Bunny up to now with excellent Broadband support. In fact it was the level of support I got that persuaded me to take Mobile services when my old mobile contract was up last Sept. At this rate, I'll be asking to be released from my mobile contract as it's simply unusable at the moment.

The lack of replies from Sky staff speaks volumes. 

Recommended Threads
27-10-2018 07:00 PM
15-08-2018 09:17 PM
11-07-2018 08:13 PM
10-08-2018 09:20 AM
09-09-2018 03:15 PM