WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

Sound Designer
Post 16 of 290

Re: WiFi calling on Sky Mobile

I would imagine because Sky are an Mobile Virtual Network Operator and they do not have access to the extra facilities even if they were willing to pay for them.

Maybe, somebody better qualified in this area than myself could give the definitive answer.

Boom Operator
Post 17 of 290

I was with O2 and moved to Sky Mobile because I was told I could get WiFi calling by one of their sales advisors, via TuGo.

Despite the coverage checker saying I should get good 4G coverage I actually get no mobile coverage at all in my home so rely on WiFi calling to make and take calls. 

TuGo is being discontinued in 2 weeks time so I’m now paying for a very expensive doorstop as it will be totally useless as a phone. 

what do Sky suggest?

Researcher
Post 18 of 290

Ok , I thought this was a standard feature and yes im a bit concerned , will check and see if i get good call coverage in my house now as yes i used to use EE with Wi-fi calling all the time.

Come on Sky Mobile you really do need this, please let me know your plans as i have 3 further phones with EE that I was going to switch.

Camera Assistant
Post 19 of 290

@DaveHuke wrote:

Ok , I thought this was a standard feature and yes im a bit concerned , will check and see if i get good call coverage in my house now as yes i used to use EE with Wi-fi calling all the time.

Come on Sky Mobile you really do need this, please let me know your plans as i have 3 further phones with EE that I was going to switch.

I think you will find that there are no immediate plans, I left sky mobile in the cooling of period given poor reception. The phone was useless when I was at home and they couldn’t tell me when WiFi calling would be available.

LG 55 C7 OLED, M&K 5.1, M&K V8 Sub, OPPO 103 Blu Ray player, Onkyo 646 AV receiver, VM 350Mb broadband, SkyQ silver+ 2 minis.
Community Manager
Post 20 of 290

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to clarify a few points for this discussion.

I can confirm we are looking to provide WiFi calling early to mid next year.  By summer 2018

We have also built our own network and have full control over all of our services. The only thing we rely on O2 for is the radio infrastructure. This is the differentiating factor between us and some other virtual networks like Tesco, for example. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Sound Designer
Post 21 of 290

That is good news Sam and interesting information about your network.

I know it will not appease people with immediate needs though.

Go Sky Mobile!

Researcher
Post 22 of 290

That’s really great news Sam. Please keep us posted on progress. It’s so essential for us who live in no signal areas

Runner
Post 23 of 290

This is great news!

I don’t suppose you have any news on:

- WiFi on the underground (I miss this the most since leaving O2!!!!)

- Visual Voicemail

Many thanks,

Ricky

Community Manager
Post 24 of 290

Hi @Rikachu

Yes, we're looking to add this in spring/summer next year (2018). Smiley Happy http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Mobile/Is-Visual-Voicemail-supported-on-the-iPhone/m-p/2757223#M6871...

Sam
Community Manager

Runner
Post 25 of 290

Sam please keep me in the loop on this 

I would not have moved to Sky mobile had I known Wifi assist wasn't an option as I rely on it where I live

thanks

Lee

Runner
Post 26 of 290

I would love to move to Sky mobile from EE but WiFi calling is essential for me as I have very poor signal in my appartment so it would be a good move for Sky to get WiFi calling. 

@GHOESTFACE2007 wrote:

Sky should enable us to get WiFi calling on Sky Mobile...

Who Agrees?

Sound Supervisor
Post 27 of 290

I've considered Sky mobile in the past but haven't had any reason to change from my cheap Plusnet monthly contract, WiFi calling may just tip me back to Sky's service despite the 12 month contract.

Researcher
Post 28 of 290

Sam, do you have an update on this as i have very poor signal where i live and my phone is practically useless when in my village?

I used to have wifi calling on my o2 contract and was assured by the girl i spoke to when i ordered my contract with sky i would have all the same functionality as "sky use the O2 network so you will get all of the O2 functionality".

Community Manager
Post 29 of 290

Hi @Spookiest.Crayon Unfortunately, I don't have any further updates at the minute. It's a popular misconception that all the features of the O2 network copy over to ours. The only thing we really inherit from them is the physical network infrastructure. Everything else we build ourselves. 

Sam
Community Manager

Researcher
Post 30 of 290

Wi Fi Calling! Why are sky dragging their feet over this? we need answers.

Recommended Threads
27-10-2018 07:00 PM
15-08-2018 09:17 PM
11-07-2018 08:13 PM
10-08-2018 09:20 AM
09-09-2018 03:15 PM