Discussion topic: WiFi Calling query

This message was authored by Mikeyboy67 This message was authored by: Mikeyboy67

WiFi Calling query

Hi. I have 2 mobiles, namely, a Samsung S9+ and a Samsung S22 Ultra.

The S22 Ultra is on a new contract with Sky where as the S9+ is a Sky SIM contract only.

The S9+ was originally bought from EE and as I intend giving it to my daughter, I wanted to use WiFi Calling as my home has thick walls and this feature is enabled on the S22 Ultra and works brilliantly.

I have enabled it on my S9+ but it doesn't work and the icon with a handset and WiFi icon is missing at the top of my screen where as it is visible on the S22 Ultra.

This feature has never worked since switching from EE to Sky 2 years ago so I can only assume that EE have some how 'locked' this feature to the EE network?

If this is the case does anyone know if there is a way around it?

Cheers 🍻 

Best Answers
This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw Answer

Re: WiFi Calling query

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Mikeyboy67  sky will not guarantee WiFi calling works on any phone not purchased from them. The firmware requires a carrier update but it's not easy to get it from sky. Sometimes phones not from them work but you have one that won't. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw Answer

Hi @Mikeyboy67  sky will not guarantee WiFi calling works on any phone not purchased from them. The firmware requires a carrier update but it's not easy to get it from sky. Sometimes phones not from them work but you have one that won't. 

Mikeyboy67
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mikeyboy67 This message was authored by: Mikeyboy67

Thanks for replying.

At least now I know why it doesn't work!

On the S9+ I sometimes get the error message ' Not registered on network' and I have to reboot the phone and then it usually works again.

Also I sometimes experience 'crackling' even when outside (where the signal is stronger) and again a reboot usually works.

I have tried taking the SIM out and reinserted it.

I wonder if my Sky SIM is faulty?

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

You could try a replacement to see if it helps @Mikeyboy67 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/replacement-sim

Mikeyboy67
Topic Author

@63johnw - yes I will try a replacement SIM.

Cheers 🍻 

This message was authored by Cleanboots This message was authored by: Cleanboots

I have bt broadband and sky mobile on an iPhone. Does that mean I can't get wifi calling? Can't seem to get it working 

This message was authored by Hogshawrabbit This message was authored by: Hogshawrabbit

I think SKY actively blocks WiFi calling unless you buy a phone from them. I have a Moto Edge 30 Neo from Moto direct and WiFi calling works with my Voda SIM but not my O2 SKY SIM which was working perfect on my old Samsung A40 with SKY. Its just wrong that SKY mobile does not support Wifi calling. 

At the time of wrting this our O" mast has been vandalised so we have no mobile service other than via WIFI hence we have Voda usind ASDA as it has Wifi calling for everyone ! For £1 less than SKY. 

This message was authored by PappaPete This message was authored by: PappaPete

Have now been talking to Sky for over 2 years about WiFi calling. I have tried to be patient with the absolutely useless conversations I have had with countless people who just read complete dross from a script, the last straw and my final conversation with Sky, I was told to change this setting, turn this on and off, reboot phone. I had to explain than any of these would terminate my call and pointed out it IS NOT a problem with my phone. They do not understand that Wi Fi calling is NOT a phone problem but a Sky problem. Check your phone manufacturers websites to confirm your phone is capable of WiFi calling. Anyway I can confirm after 2 years of getting more and more frustrated with Sky I have moved to Asda mobile. Immediately on insertion of the Asda SIM all of the things that you don't get with Sky appeared in settings, 5g, and after a seven day activation gues what, WiFi calling is there. So don't listen to anymore rubbish from Sky, they will find any excuse not to send the updated carrier service settings to your phone, switch to a different supplier.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion