Sky hard credit checking model customers.

Researcher
Post 1 of 49

Sky hard credit checking model customers.

I am a sky customer of all there services I tried to take out the Xperia xz today online and was refused by a hard credit check. Ive nether missed a payment to sky and have had no problems upgrading any other services. Im on the sim only deal as I was under the impression I would be able to take a phone once sky had them. I called sky and sat on hold for a hour for them to tell me there is nothing that can be done. Other mobile providers can do stuff to help you out in a situation like this but sky didnt even ask for my account number to see who I was and look at the problem I have. They just said sorry goodbye to me. I understand there just going through the process they need to with a credit check. But on model customers who have always paid on time is a bit excessive to say the least. If I dont get this resolved or given a good reason why I am unable to have a human look at my history with sky and make a decision based on my custom already existing with them I will cancel all my services with them. Other providers are able to make these types of decisions based on previous custom with them it all feels a bit unfair to those of us who have stuck with sky to be hit like this over something silly, if a human looked at my account with them I can see no reason why I would be told no. I can also add over a hundred pounds of upgrades each month to my sky package no questions asked but if I want a £19 a month phone all I get is a big fat NO! If anyone has any serious suggestions about how I could resolve this with sky I would be grateful. Many thanks Matt.

All Replies
Camera Operator
Post 2 of 49

Re: Sky hard credit checking model customers.

Sky TV, phone and broadband isn't credit checked.

I was initially told that Sky Mobile (SIMO) is credit checked. However, I have three SIMO's on my Sky account and there wasn't one search on my credit file. This leads me to believe that if you are already a Sky TV customer and have a good payment history, getting SIMO is OK - and believe this is more of an affordability check.

Sky may see being easy on obtaining SIMO as a good thing as it encourages people to stay with them because of the free calls and texts for Sky TV customers.

Like you said, they certainly do credit check mobile handset contracts and I failed the credit check - but my credit is (sadly) bad at the moment Smiley Sad

It's unlikely Sky (at the moment) will make handset credit checks any easier when they're not credit checking for their main TV and broadband services.

Researcher
Post 3 of 49

I understand and accept everything your saying but my point is although I do have poor credit right now ive always been a good customer to sky for as long as ive had there services and when told that I cannot take out a phone contract with them via the automated process they did nothing to try and come to a compromise when I phoned them they didnt care who I was let alone what services I have with them . Im a bit sour right now about it but I feel like they do not value my custom at all. Ive been rejected a couple times in the past via the automated credit check service and always the company try there hardest to find a solution that works for me. Ive nether been unhappy with the service I get from sky but in this case they certainly could of done more to at the very least of treated me like they want my custom. I see now why everyone I know has cancelled sky.

Camera Operator
Post 4 of 49

I know it's frustrating and I felt the same as you. It's not nice getting a declined message Smiley Sad

Many networks let you take out a SIMO only plan, then uprade to a handset if you pay on time. BT Mobile do this after 6 months, Vodafone after 3 etc. Maybe Sky will introduce this feature at some point in the future, though I've seen no mention of it.

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 49

Cavematt did you order over the phone or from website ?

Researcher
Post 6 of 49

From website.

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 49

The reason i asked is I ordered mine on sky website went through all the choice of phone etc got order accepted then realised I had chose S8+ black but wanted Orchid grey so I phoned next day to change black to Orchid  grey he cancelled order then ask me address details etc how long I'd lived there then he said sorry he couldn't go no further with order as I failed credit check so I  I  say ok. Went back online ordered S8+ Orchid grey no prob's at all. 

Runner
Post 8 of 49

hey a I'm trying to pre order the s8+ but it's saying I need to pay £180 upfront. Will I definitely be accepted if I pay this and will I receive the money back after the first 3-4 months like other company's do? I've been with sky for over 10 yrs

Camera Assistant
Post 9 of 49

Why would you get your 'upfront' money back? I'd assume, if anything your monthly charge would be reduced to take into account you've paid £180 upfront.

Runner
Post 10 of 49

that's why im asking. But if I pay it will I definitely be accepted??

Camera Assistant
Post 11 of 49

I would assume you 'have already' been accepted due to the fact they've said you'd need to pay 'x amount' upfront. The only way to find out for sure is to carry on with your 'purchase'

Researcher
Post 12 of 49

I agree same situation been a sky customer for 13 years never missed a payment got sky q  first day of release got the sim only on release as well go to get the iPhone 7 guess what told no I think I will do the same after all sky will lose £200.00 per month no difference to me I'll go with another provider I agree should be based on your custom not a computer giving answers 

Boom Operator
Post 13 of 49

It does seem a strange business practice for current customers. 

If i had a customer on my books for 13 years and hadn't caused any problems, i wouldn't dare turn around and ask them for money upfront for wanting to buy more things from me.

Not only would i not get that sale, i may also lose all the sales that customer was currently giving me.

Samsung 973006
Viewer
Post 14 of 49

Hi, I have been a sky customer for nearly 10 years and during that time I have never missed a payment. I have always had their full package of movies and sports and i have five sky boxes. My monthly bill is £123.00.. and as i said i have never missed a payment (or paid late). Additionally I have only ever had one free sky box from them and ALL the sky boxes I have installed myself.

Recently Sky have been bombarding me with phone calls and in "My offers" and my online sky account, to try to get me to take a sky mobile. Today I decided to go to my online sky account and browse the mobile offers sent to me. I chose a mobile phone and plan totaling £31 per month. After submitting I received a reply saying that I had failed their credit check!... This is telling me that sky consider that I am not a good enough customer to them!

I called sky and basically was told that they could not do anything about it and said that the mobile was a different product. I asked who carried out the credit check.. and I was told "SKY" had! so i said "same company then!.. To add insult the guy said he could offer me a £21 discount on my current sky package if I didnt leave sky!

My broadband and phone line are with BT (and has been for many years)... I asked "What if I wanted to take out skys's Broadband and phone package".... the guy said yes that would be no problem!

Sky are about to lose another customer!

Rem57
Production Supervisor
Post 15 of 49

@Rem57 wrote:

Hi, I have been a sky customer for nearly 10 years and during that time I have never missed a payment. I have always had their full package of movies and sports and i have five sky boxes. My monthly bill is £123.00.. and as i said i have never missed a payment (or paid late). Additionally I have only ever had one free sky box from them and ALL the sky boxes I have installed myself.

Recently Sky have been bombarding me with phone calls and in "My offers" and my online sky account, to try to get me to take a sky mobile. Today I decided to go to my online sky account and browse the mobile offers sent to me. I chose a mobile phone and plan totaling £31 per month. After submitting I received a reply saying that I had failed their credit check!... This is telling me that sky consider that I am not a good enough customer to them!

I called sky and basically was told that they could not do anything about it and said that the mobile was a different product. I asked who carried out the credit check.. and I was told "SKY" had! so i said "same company then!.. To add insult the guy said he could offer me a £21 discount on my current sky package if I didnt leave sky!

My broadband and phone line are with BT (and has been for many years)... I asked "What if I wanted to take out skys's Broadband and phone package".... the guy said yes that would be no problem!

Sky are about to lose another customer!

It doesn't matter how long you have been a customer with Sky for their other services,  they,  like all telecoms providers will credit check you, if you fail then you will need to check your credit file to see what is causing that.

You could chuck your toys out of your pram over not getting a mobile phone from sky, that is your choice, but you cannot blame sky for credit checking people for mobile phones that they are in effect loaning to you on a credit agreement.  In that respect they are doing excatly what EE, O2, 3 etc will do.

You can still get their sim only plans from as little a £5 per month and use your exisiting handset. You could probably get a new handset from other retailer at a lower price if you really need a new phone.

Recommended Threads
20 minutes ago 10:50 PM
Courtxo 21 minutes ago 10:48 PM
33 minutes ago 10:37 PM
Oracle 42 minutes ago 10:28 PM
47 minutes ago 10:23 PM