Discussion topic: Sky Mobile reveals the lengths fans go to never miss a sporting moment

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR

Sky Mobile reveals the lengths fans go to never miss a sporting moment

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

76A0BA8B-42C5-498C-A483-D66F2E556C41.jpeg

• Viewing confessions: New research from Sky Mobile reveals 37% of Brits will use their smartphones to watch their favourite sports at work, with 27% sneakily viewing on the toilet
  • Extreme viewing: Some hardcore fans will slip out of work to watch a match (16%) or even excuse themselves from a family dinner (14%) so they never have to miss a moment this Euros tournament
  • Data boost: Sky Mobile is rewarding customers with 1GB of data each time England, Scotland and Wales score a goal in the upcoming football tournament
  • Watching on the go: More sports fans are opting to watch sport on the go with football (74%) the most popular followed by tennis (33%), Formula One (28%) and cricket (28%)

New research from Sky Mobile, voted Best Pay Monthly and Best Value Pay Monthly network by Uswitch, reveals more than a third of Brits (37%) watch their favourite sports via their smartphone at work, with over a quarter (27%) viewing on the toilet or in a restaurant (26%).

The study of 2,000 sport fans found 16% will slip out of work, use their annual leave (16%) or excuse themselves from a family dinner (14%) to make sure they catch every match moment of the Euros tournament.

The research comes as Sky Mobile launches #SkyMobileGoals1, rewarding customers with free data each time England, Scotland and Wales score a goal throughout the football tournament.

To raise awareness of the initiative, Sky Mobile is working with former England goalkeeper, David Seaman.

“The Euros holds a special place in my heart, and I’ll never forget the save that sent England into the semi-finals in ’96,’’ says Seaman. ‘’As a spectator this time round, I know I’ll be glued to my phone and what better way to celebrate a goal than with a free data boost thanks to Sky Mobile!’’

Watching on the go

The study also found that three fifths of Brits are watching more sport via their mobile phone than they were 12 months ago (61%), with football (74%) the most popular sport to watch via mobile apps, followed by tennis (33%), Formula One (28%) and cricket (28%) respectively.

Meanwhile, with the summer of sport now upon us, the upcoming Euros tournament (55%) is set to be the most watched sports event via our mobile phones, followed by the return of the football this August (43%), the British Grand Slam (32%) and the upcoming Summer Games (31%).

However, one in five have said they’ve often missed a key sporting event as they didn’t have enough data on their mobile phone, with almost half (49%) relying on a family member or friend to watch sport on their device because they didn’t have enough data in their current mobile plan.

Data Boost

With watching live sports virtually (37%) and going to a live sporting event (31%) amongst the things Brits are most looking forward to this summer, Sky Mobile is getting in on the sporting action via a special data boost for Sky Mobile customers.

To join in the celebrations and receive free data each time there’s a goal for England, Scotland and Wales, customers can simply register by visiting https://www.sky.com/shop/pre-reg/back-of-the-net.

Sky Mobile will add the relevant 1GB data boosts to their Sky Piggybank subject to the number of goals scored by the home teams.

“After waiting for an entire year for this tournament to take place, we hope our free data boost for Sky Mobile customers can go some way in bringing fans together to cheer on football finally coming home,’’ said Paul Sweeney, Managing Director of Sky Mobile.

Customers are encouraged to follow @Anonymous for the latest news on the #SkyMobileGoals data giveaway.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion