Discussion topic: Sky Mobile Data Running Out Ridiculously Quickly

This message was authored by Belwill This message was authored by: Belwill

Sky Mobile Data Running Out Ridiculously Quickly

Has anyone else noticed their mobile data is running out stupidly quickly all of a sudden? 

For the last few months my data has been running out after a day or two. Before I would rarely reach my limit in a month. 

I used to have over 50gb in my piggy bank and this has now gone down to 5gb after having to top up so much. 

Yesterday I was told I had run out of data so I topped up with 2gb. I've just had another message to say I have run out again. 

I've already checked all my apps using data and reduced them so I know that isn't the issue. I'm on the verge of leaving Sky Mobile

because of this. 

All Replies

This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Re: Sky Mobile Data Running Out Ridiculously Quickly

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Belwill  so what does your phone say is using the data ? No difference with data use on my devices. 

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
Belwill
Topic Author
This message was authored by Belwill This message was authored by: Belwill

@63johnw it is saying the usual apps but nothing has changed in terms of my usage over the last month. In fact I have uninstalled many apps to not use data. 

This message was authored by ana3 This message was authored by: ana3

Hi

I do have exactly the same problem! 

Not on my all cards, but one of three I have is eating all of the data. The usual usage from 25-30gb went up to 65-70gb! 

Why is that happening? 

Thanks! 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@ana3 

So what does the apps show that using this data as looking at them will be the only way to see what is happening.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by 63johnw This message was authored by: 63johnw

Hi @ana3  what does your phone data monitor say is using the data ?

If someone has helped give them a thumbs up.

If their answer solved your issue mark it as the correct answer.

I won’t respond to direct messages so please post any problems on the forum.
This message was authored by mikeyboyhilts77 This message was authored by: mikeyboyhilts77

I'm having exactly the same problem. Switched from a 12GB plan to a 4GB plan with an extra 4GB sim for my daughter as Sky advised me that I rarely hit 2GB usage for the month. All of a sudden these past couple of months I'm having to dip into my piggy bank all the time as I've used nearly 13GB this month! I haven't changed how I use my phone and always use WiFi anyway at home. Noticed Instagram and Flipboard were using a massive chunk all of a sudden (they've never been a problem before) so I've disabled mobile data from them but now it's system services and safari that are using up a load. After looking at my data usage with sky it all coincides with when I dropped to a lower plan and got an extra sim. Never had this issue with EE so thinking of going back to them once I've used all my piggy bank up. 

This message was authored by AndySkyUser This message was authored by: AndySkyUser

I have exactly the same problem. Almost always in WiFi area but returned from abroad at end of last month and now get 'out of data' messages every few days. It has not happened before. How do I monitor what is using. The app data usage I can see doesn't seem to show any problem. Sky have been useless but I have an outstanding complaint.

@AndySkyUser 

You need to look at the devices own monitor via data settings as it will show what apps and services are using what data so any apps you don't use you can disable them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by AndySkyUser This message was authored by: AndySkyUser

Thanks, yes I can see the data used by the apps but it seems to be for all time but I need to know how much for this month. Is there any way I can reset it so I can monitor it?

@AndySkyUser wrote:

Is there any way I can reset it so I can monitor it?

Have a look to see what the settings are, usually at the bottom as you might be able to reset it.

This message was authored by Charlotte22 This message was authored by: Charlotte22

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I've suddenly seen my data disappear (needing to roll data multiple times a day!!) but Sky are refusing to help at all! 

Hi Charlotte, no it's still ongoing. I have an outstanding complaint with Sky but they claim it's nothing to do with them. I've gradually changed all the settings I can find to not use mobile data where possible and not do any background updates but it's still happening. It seems to be used mostly by what is described as Documents & Sync but there are no document downloads and I can't yet find what is Syncing.

This message was authored by webfluid This message was authored by: webfluid

.... as usual sky are pretty much useless with anything to do with service or technical and are completely reliant on volunteers 

This message was authored by Harrydcarr This message was authored by: Harrydcarr

No answers here but just to say I'm having exactly the same problem, and in the same context someone mentioned above - I have a load of data in my piggy bank and reduced my plan to 2GB minimum to deliberately start using it, had no problem for a year or so until the last couple of months where I've been haemorrhaging data despite no change in my usage

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion