Sky Mobile Abroad

Boom Operator
Post 16 of 35

Re: Sky Mobile Abroad

Just sorted this as had same problem yesterday.  Fortunately, in Lanzarote, Spain had iphone 7 plus which worked and Nokia 650 windows which did not!  I was l;aready aware that Sky work with 02Telefonica//Movistar in Spaing which my iphone showed.  The Nokia showed Orange.  Yesterday I turned roaming on which made no difference.  Today I went into settings and chose the carrier manually to Movistar.  Still no joy!  Then I switched roaming back off and bingo!!

Hope this helps you.

Mike.

Researcher
Post 17 of 35

We went to Holland and Belgium last week. I could not use my new Galaxy S8 because it could not register with the networks. My wife's IPhone on O2 worked fine as my IPhone on O2 used to. Called Sky customer services, there was over an hour wait predicted. Gave up and used my wife's phone.

Came home, contacted Sky by phone because we are going to Spain. I was initially advised to go to Spain and if the phone did not work to get in touch and they would try to troubleshoot the phone whilst I was there. This is ridiculous, I've always had automatic connection when travelling abroad. Worked my way through the online advice and finally used the texting service to get the problem sorted. This process started on Fri evening and finished around 2 on Sat afternoon with 3 different experts. It involved swapping sims between my phone and my wife's phone ,rubbing the gold contacts etc and finally Sky deciding to send out a new sim. On Wed I texted Sky to see where the sim was. There's a delay in this service so I phoned Sky mobile ignored all the recorded message a finally got to speak to someone and relayed all this. He checked my account and found that the sim had not been sent out but said he would send one. I then got a text from and on line expert asking if I still needed help. At this point I gave up. Incidentally whilst speaking to the advisor he repeated the advice that if the phone did not work they would attempt to troubleshoot when  I was abroad! So on this experience, I'm expected to spend at least a day trying to contact Sky and get my phone to work. If my phone does not work automatically when I get to spain It's going to go. 

Runner
Post 18 of 35

My iphone5 worked perfectly in France.  I did turn on roaming and personal hotspot when I needed to use it.  I bought a £3 add on for the month which meant I could call wherever I wanted without any extra charges.

so no problems at all

Researcher
Post 19 of 35

Fine but my phone is supposed to work without add on in Europe and being expected to see if it will when I get there again is out of order when the problem is apparent now

Runner
Post 20 of 35

Mine worked perfectly only bought the add on as I was making a lot of calls to France in France and that costs as your uk mobile goes back through uk when you dial.  It was perfect for me calling friends in France and campsites for four weeks that only cost me three pounds.  Calling Uk on its own was perfect also.   Rey impressed in previous years had many problems with EE.  iPhone worked as soon as I turned on roaming and I could use my data once the personal hotspot turned on.  I turned off roaming and personal hotspot when not using.

Camera Assistant
Post 21 of 35

Did you switch ‘roaming’ on?

Researcher
Post 22 of 35

Yes any other suggestions?

Runner
Post 23 of 35

I had the same problem. Lost my purse in Italy last week. Couldn’t call bank to let them know. Could get mins on instant chat with Sky, still couldn’t dial out. Just kept getting engaged tone. Really frustrating and disappointing. Like other Sky users say. Sky couldn’t resolve the matter. I’ve got iPhone 5s, my husband an iPhone SE. Could dial out earlier this year and all other times been abroad when I was with O2, not any problems. Sky need to sort this out, or think I’ll be jumping ship.

Viewer
Post 24 of 35

yes, i have.

i have tried to use my mobile (3 different handsets) in Portugal. the 1st time july 2017 i couldnt make or receive calls at all for 3 weeks. texts were actually ok, but data also didnt work.

texting skys help squad was a complete nightmare, their experts were worse than useless. 

I have complained 3 times now when back in uk, but to no avail. no one within the sky technical has any idea why it doesnt work.

also, when you try to register a new handset in uk, you get a text telling you all is setup and workin, but it doesnt work. data is very hard to get working even in uk. impossible in Portugal.

amazingly before i moved to sky, i was with giffgaff (also using o2) and never had any issues. other friends who use other networks (not sky) also had no issues. 

i will be switching back to giffgaff as soon a my contract ends. Oh btw, i also transferred my wifes contract to sky, different handset and she had exactly same issues as me. at one point the sky technition told me my handset had been water damaged and that he was unable to offer me any help.

strangely when i fitted a giffgaff sim back in that handset it worked perfectly.

giffgaff 10, sky -1.

sorry sky but you are your own worst enemy

Viewer
Post 25 of 35

Ok. So i am in italy. i'm connected to a network. I CAN'T make outgoing phonecalls but can recieve. I can sent messages and i also have data. 

Just been trying to work out whats wrong.. 

I turned OFF "DIAL ASSIST" in the Phone settings menu on the iphone 8 plus i have. I can now make phone calls. 

Hope that works and helps others.

Oracle
Post 26 of 35

I don't know what phone you have but try working through this:

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/sky-mobile-roaming/roaming-problems

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Sound Designer
Post 27 of 35

We're going away in a few weeks, I need to look in to this before we go as we need to keep in touch with a family member while away, thanks for the heads up. 

New Viewer
Post 28 of 35

This is a ridiculous problem. On my wife’s Phone (iPhone 8, Sky Mobile, Roaming and all EU allowances activated) we had to manually select the carrier to enable voice calls. 

Man easy fix after going through 45 mins of other potential issues, and one that in my opinion should not be necessary - Sky should sort this though automatic carrier selection. 

In an emergency my wife would have had no communications (I am working in Europe); granted that the data was working so she could work around it but absolutely not the level of service expected when so many other providers can get it right without having to mess abou with various sim settings. Imagine if data was not available and she was stuck with two toddlers in an emergency!

Runner
Post 29 of 35

Had absolutely no. Problems in France selected automatic carrier

Runner
Post 30 of 35

I am in Germany  and cannot make calls

I need to.contact my 95 year old grandad who is not online

This is a disgrace.

My phone has a German voice felling me I cannot call the uk

Recommended Threads