Sky Mobile Abroad

Researcher
Post 1 of 49

Sky Mobile Abroad

I have just moved to Sky Mobile from Virgin.. Aside from having problems setting up internet (I will give Sky the benefit of doubt here as I have a Samasung J5 which is not exactly a popular handset) I now have no service since I have arrived in Spain for work last Monday pm. The SIM simply will not register to local network including Movistar (Telefonica owns Movistar along with O2). It is now the 4th day without being able to receive or make calls on my UK number and despite numerous conversation with Sky via MyAPP and directly via their call centre the problem still persists. Has anyone else had similar problems?

All Replies
Runner
Post 2 of 49

Re: Sky Mobile Abroad

Hey Jcurve

Had the same problem when I went to Prague. Didn't manage to sort it. Happened again when I went to Cuba recently. I'm using an iPhone 7 and I was able to fix via the SIM Menu (Settings, Phone, SIM Applications, Sky Menu Roaming) but obviously this will be different on your handset. I set it to Abroad and it started working and then I changed it to Automatic when I retuned home. Not sure if there is an issue with the Automatic setting when Abroad or not.

Hope this is still of some sort of help.

Chris
Sky Q Enthusiast
2TB, 3 Minis, BT Infinity using ASUS AC DSL-AC68U
iPhone 7 128GB on Sky Mobile
Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 49

this site may be of help to you .... https://www.frequenc...

Runner
Post 4 of 49

Hi

I had the same problem in Italy. After 20 mins on phone toSky call centre don't think they really had a clue. Didn't work for the whole week away. Not happy. I have iphone7. Anyone else managed to sort this?

Researcher
Post 5 of 49

I don't have iPhone 7 but I believe is the fix is via the SIM Menu (Settings, Phone, SIM Applications, Sky Menu Roaming) 

Runner
Post 6 of 49

I am having the same issue with my Samsung A3.  No connection to any network in France.  I have been onto Sky numerous times and 4 times they have promised to discuss with their backroom technical team and call me back in UK and they never have! 

Researcher
Post 7 of 49

Try the sky Sim app on phone and switch on Roaming. I had the same problem and after several days discovered app on phone which was downloaded during set up. Hope this works.. 

Runner
Post 8 of 49

thanks.  I had never even noticed that app and when I go in the roaming setting is 'Home'.  So may be it is as easy as setting this to automatic or abroad.  Need to wait until I go abroad again to find out!

Researcher
Post 9 of 49

Same here and I mentioned this to support team. I would have thought this would now be a known issue and support teams should be in a position to communicate this first time. 

Runner
Post 10 of 49

Yes had similar problems and had very frustrating text chat with 4 different support people over 2 days. Could receive calls and send texts but could not dial out. We moved from EE 2 weeks before heading to Sweden. 

Never had a problem using the exact 2 phones we moved over. Neither now work dialing out. Service support has been hopeless. Repeated suggestions we call the support number!! Then they suggested they would send us 2 new SIM cards. They will send them to our home address in the U.K.!  You couldn't make it up. So we are stuck out here on business. Will have to buy two local SIM cards but then that means we can't receive calls on the numbers our customers know. This move has cost us business and lost customers. I am so annoyed I intend posting this experience every where I can and look out for me in BBC watch dog.

Researcher
Post 11 of 49

Thanks Jcurve, you saved us the hastle of calling sky from France. 

Found the "sky sim" app and set it to abroad.

2 mins layer we had two text telling us the usual.

Calls are working, but thete is no data signal... but that looks like a location issue.

Runner
Post 12 of 49

I switched to sky from EE and was assured my phone would work abroad thanks for the info re settings.  We are near St.Tropez does anyone know what the coverage is like here?  Fortunately have two pay as you go EE phones!

@SmithRC wrote:

Thanks Jcurve, you saved us the hastle of calling sky from France. 

Found the "sky sim" app and set it to abroad.

2 mins layer we had two text telling us the usual.

Calls are working, but thete is no data signal... but that looks like a location issue.

Researcher
Post 13 of 49

Yet another problem with Sky Mobile.

I also cannot make calls to any country while abroad.  However I can receive calls and send texts.

I read the forum and changed the Sky SIM roaming setting to abroad.  No difference.  Still no outgoing calls connect.

Furthermore it is impossible to contact Sky at all.  The online chat function has been disabled, and I am unable to download the app which s "not available in your country"

This adds to the problems of being lied to, appalling customer service and rudeness on SMS chat, lack of service in UK, being charged for "free" texts and calls, and a new handset which is faulty. 
The Sky team has been excellent so far in TV, broadband and customer service, but Sky Mobile is atrocious

Researcher
Post 14 of 49

Hi all,

just back to the uk.

I got my phone working a treat while away in the end. To get data working I had to add a new APN once it was on a network.

I put the setting in based on the options I had and the settings from here..

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Mobile/Sky-mobile-APN-MMS-settings-Android-7/td-p/2683347

Runner
Post 15 of 49

Hi

i have been in Europe for 2 weeks now with no data coverage and not being able to make calls. Had numerous text conversations with Sky, but still no further. Have looked for the Sky's sim app on my phone but can't seem to find it (on an iPhone 7). Any help would be great. Thanks. 

Recommended Threads
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
Zoeelouisee 23-07-2018 03:34 PM
Friday 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM
2 weeks ago 09:29 AM