Discussion topic: SKY squeezed by O2?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Marcelli This message was authored by: Marcelli

Re: SKY squeezed by O2?

RScott,

Thank you for your post.

I have been around everywhere with a friend of mine who is on O2 and the difference between my Sky reception and his is phenomenal.

2 or 5 mbps against 28 or 30.

Anyway, i have left Sky now.

Tv phone broaband mobile, the lot 

I am a happy man.

No more of Sky advisers asking me to stand out of the window to see if I get a better signal.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

For those complaining of slow downloads try popping it on to airplane mode and then back off (shut down speedtest fully beforehand). There'll be a noticeable difference.

This message was authored by Marcelli This message was authored by: Marcelli

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your reply.

I am a happy man and my dl speed two minutes ago was 28bps.

And that is because i canceĺled Sky mobile and joined O2.

Incidentally Sky offered me 12 months mobile for £2 a month.

I refused it. And this afternoon i will be cancelling my Sky broadband Tv and telephone. As i said earlier on, i am a happy man.

This message was authored by whiteonline This message was authored by: whiteonline

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It will be so sad not to see you on this forum anymore @Marcelli!! 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sky Community Superuser

My set up;
Sky Q - full package with 2TB HDR box & 4 mini boxes, all hardwired by ethernet.
Sky Superfast Broadband.
Panasonic 50" 4K TV.
Panasonic 4k Bluray Player.
Sonos 5.1 Surround Sound System.
This message was authored by Southon This message was authored by: Southon

Hi every one on here.

I got nothing bad to ssy about Sky mobile network at all.

All i am saying is..

Its a shame Sky Mobile uses O2.

I think O2 has had its day now.

When BT had O2 it was Top Notch.

Now Teleponica owns it now.

Its gone in The Bin with Rest of the Trash.

I just Wish Sky Mobile runs through Vodafone or at least with EE.

Or They Have Their Own Full Network like Vodafone and EE has.

Then Sky Mobile will Be Amazing.

Its Not Sky fault they chose o2 to be there network provider.

SKY Please change your network over to Vodafone or even EE.

Sorry.. i do forgive Sky. Just Not Telephica O2.

@rscott wrote:

Marcelli, I spend a lot of time in two of the towns you mentioned and have appalling problems with my mobile speeds sometimes. Although the phone can be showing 4G /4G+, it still can fail to even complete a speedtest.

However, I'm with O2, not Sky, which suggests a problem with the O2 core network.

dodgydentist
Topic Author
This message was authored by dodgydentist This message was authored by: dodgydentist

Just relighting this thread after 4 months and helpful comments and detailed technical information for which thank you

I continue to observe that on the move I more commonly get 3G only at best, and 4G is  commonly intermittent and poor . No signal is surprisingly common.

I have a separate EE WiFi device and it is rocket fast.  I am told that EEs coverage also knocks spots off the rest due to their supply to the emergency services. 

Despite Sams reassurance it remains clear that Sky have a poor  technical delivery on the back of O2.   I am contracted so rather stuck but it feels like a very expensive but poor service 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@dodgydentist wrote:

Just relighting this thread after 4 months and helpful comments and detailed technical information for which thank you

I continue to observe that on the move I more commonly get 3G only at best, and 4G is  commonly intermittent and poor . No signal is surprisingly common.

I have a separate EE WiFi device and it is rocket fast.  I am told that EEs coverage also knocks spots off the rest due to their supply to the emergency services. 

Despite Sams reassurance it remains clear that Sky have a poor  technical delivery on the back of O2.   I am contracted so rather stuck but it feels like a very expensive but poor service 

Comparing EE with Sky doesn't tell us anything about the technical delivery via O2.

I've got a dual SIM phone with an O2 and a Sky SIM in. I see very similar performance in both 

This message was authored by Curr946. This message was authored by: Curr946.

@rscott wrote:

@dodgydentist wrote:

Comparing EE with Sky doesn't tell us anything about the technical delivery via O2.

I've got a dual SIM phone with an O2 and a Sky SIM in. I see very similar performance in both 

I've got to say I get very similar service on sky as I did when I was on O2. In fact, I am now getting 4G in the house, which I didn't get before. But as the phone still connects to my wifi I've continued to use wifi calling so that signal is irrelevant. Outside the speeds are much of a muchness, but I am happy with the lower prices and find sky always happy to offer discounts or deals to keep you sweet. I've five connections now. I've gone from paying over 130 a month down to 60 for very similar service and packages. 

----------------------------------
Sky Personal & Business Customer
This message was authored by DMcK23 This message was authored by: DMcK23

nothing but problems with 2 new phones, since we got them a fortnight ago.  Mutiple locations, indoors and out, around Tyneside/Wearside/Durham.

In Durham City right now, no local mast problems logged on the web site, "strong" 4 bar 4G signal here in the office.   speed test app gives 0.19 upload and ZERO download... when it connects to the servers at all.

Tried to dowload an audio book earlier - too 20 mins to download 12MB.  I gave up.

I've requested and installed a data profile, whch made no difference

very VERY unhappy with this

To be honest,O2 are bettervthan crap 02.

I get better reception on Sky mobile than o2 mobile and the customers service on sky mobile is better than o2.

I know sky mobile runs off o2.

For some reason o2 is rubbish where i love,

But sky mobile runs much better.

No idea why?

Unless sky uses the better bandwidth and siginals from o2 than o2 use them selfs.

This message was authored by TrevorA This message was authored by: TrevorA

So I just went to the O2 shop and they advised me that Sky rent their service and get nowhere near the signal they give to their own clients.

I referred to Sams post and told the O2 rep that O2 have to give Sky customers the same service they give to there own and he said that is not the case

He explained it to me as if it was the shops in Liverpool Street station and they owned all the shops, they rent the rubbish ones in the corner out to the likes of sky and keep all the premium ones for themselves.

I was looking to switch but where Sky come through is on the pricing which makes it difficult. I get next to no 4g indoors and solely rely on WIFI.

Is there anyway of boosting my signal?

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@TrevorA wrote:

So I just went to the O2 shop and they advised me that Sky rent their service and get nowhere near the signal they give to their own clients.

I referred to Sams post and told the O2 rep that O2 have to give Sky customers the same service they give to there own and he said that is not the case

He explained it to me as if it was the shops in Liverpool Street station and they owned all the shops, they rent the rubbish ones in the corner out to the likes of sky and keep all the premium ones for themselves.

I was looking to switch but where Sky come through is on the pricing which makes it difficult. I get next to no 4g indoors and solely rely on WIFI.

Is there anyway of boosting my signal?

Unfortunately, I think you've been told a complete load of nonsense by that person.  Shop staff won't know any details of the wholesale agreements between Sky and o2.

This message was authored by TrevorA This message was authored by: TrevorA

But the guy from the shop seems to echo the what the majority of people on this thread are saying 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@TrevorA All I can report is my own findings. I have a friend who works for O2 (on corporate client accounts, so not entirely technical) and he always told me that it's not even possible for O2 to limit the service that Sky customers get. So I switched to Sky and, if anything, I get a better signal with Sky in some places than I did with O2 on the same handset. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Its strange O2 have Better reception than O2.

Sky mobile uses 02.. strange!

Unless o2 sells  the good stuff to sky?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion