Old Nokia 1600 compatible with Sky Mobile service?

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Researcher
Post 1 of 8

Old Nokia 1600 compatible with Sky Mobile service?

Been trying to get set up with Sky Mobile for 2 days now. Original Sim came up 'Sim not valid' because I'd foolishly assumed that telling my old provider I wanted to retain my number when I moved to Sky would alert them to the obvious fact that my phone would need to be unlocked from their service. No such joined up thinking occurred. Eventually realising I'd nobbled the original Sim through this omission, I requested a replacement Sim which arrived this am! This time I carefully followed the instructions and once the new Sim is in my phone and the phone switches on, the 'Sim not valid' message comes up again. 

This leads me to worry that my old Nokia 1600 might simply be too old if the Sims come with bells and whistles as standard that didn't exist when I bought it in Woolies in 2005.  This is a worry as I still have my Nokia 1600 because, aged as it is, it does everything I want a phone to be able to do (phoning and texting. Could do without the voicemail tho'.) and does so with its original battery, and meanwhile I've actively disliked every smartphone I've ever handled! People really think standardized touchscreens are a good idea when there's no such thing as a standard finger?!? 

Does anyone know enough to set my mind at ease on whether or not a 2005-vintage Nokia can cope with modern sims? Cheers.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 8

Re: Old Nokia 1600 compatible with Sky Mobile service?

sounds like the phone is locked to another network - contact the network and request it be unlocked - if you have satisfied any contract you had with them then this should be free.

All Replies
Answer
Camera Assistant
Post 2 of 8

sounds like the phone is locked to another network - contact the network and request it be unlocked - if you have satisfied any contract you had with them then this should be free.

Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 8

@ACMcColl wrote:

Been trying to get set up with Sky Mobile for 2 days now. Original Sim came up 'Sim not valid' because I'd foolishly assumed that telling my old provider I wanted to retain my number when I moved to Sky would alert them to the obvious fact that my phone would need to be unlocked from their service. No such joined up thinking occurred. Eventually realising I'd nobbled the original Sim through this omission, I requested a replacement Sim which arrived this am! This time I carefully followed the instructions and once the new Sim is in my phone and the phone switches on, the 'Sim not valid' message comes up again. 

This leads me to worry that my old Nokia 1600 might simply be too old if the Sims come with bells and whistles as standard that didn't exist when I bought it in Woolies in 2005.  This is a worry as I still have my Nokia 1600 because, aged as it is, it does everything I want a phone to be able to do (phoning and texting. Could do without the voicemail tho'.) and does so with its original battery, and meanwhile I've actively disliked every smartphone I've ever handled! People really think standardized touchscreens are a good idea when there's no such thing as a standard finger?!? 

Does anyone know enough to set my mind at ease on whether or not a 2005-vintage Nokia can cope with modern sims? Cheers.

As said, it sounds like your phone is still locked to your old provider. The trouble now is that normally you require the old sim to be put into the phone so it can be unlocked, if you still have it then call your old provider and ask if they will unlock your phone. If you no longer have the old sim then you may need to find a ‘3rd party phone unlocker’. The phone itself will work but only on 3G, you won’t get 4G seeing as the phone is an older model.

Researcher
Post 4 of 8

Thanks for that ppl. Yeah since posting yesterday it's become clear that when they sent me the PAC code to move my number it never occurred to them that my migrating to Sky would mean that they'd have to unlock my phone from their network.  Then the agent that was supposed to unlock it and send me the unlock code seems to have deregistered my SIM before texting me the code. Smart move. Disconnect the SIM then send it a text.

So now my problem is I've no working phone to phone them with and they don't deal with this issue online (tho' I've tried to circumvent that by raising the issue through channels they do have online for other matters -technically it IS a complaint about their service after all), and meanwhile I have mobility issues so standing in a call box dealing with this without being able to check things online is a non-starter. Borrowing a phone will be difficult too.  If the barrage of emails and complaint forms doesn't get it sorted out, I may just wait till the Sky engineer comes round and sets up my broadband, TV and landline during the week...

Researcher
Post 5 of 8

Mobile now working. Like the man said; "Ecstacy, Bruce: ecstacy!" Smiley Happy

Managing Editor
Post 6 of 8

No provider will unlock their handsets unless YOU request it, so sadly the fact that you thought they would when you requested a PAC is an error on your part.   

This will be the same for anyone who wants to move their mobile service to Sky. They must ensure they get their device unlocked if it is locked to their current providers network, it will never be done automatically.

Requesting a PAC only allows the migration of your mobile number, nothing more.

Researcher
Post 7 of 8

@GD1 wrote:

No provider will unlock their handsets unless YOU request it, so sadly the fact that you thought they would when you requested a PAC is an error on your part.   

The fact that the customer needs to ask for what should be a standard part of the service -after all what do I need a PAC code for if I want my phone to remain locked to the original provider's network?- is a fault on the part of the provider.   This comment reminds me strongly of working in a PPI Complaints process where I found on Day 1 the bank's procedures had been written so that unless the customer quoted exactly the right account numbers with dates correct to within 2-3 days, agents would be required to decline the complaint even when we could see clear evidence of misselling on a variant account number (transposed digits for example) or a different date.  The middle manager who authored that original procedure -and who clearly didn't understand what was wrong with what he'd done- was gone the day after we flagged it up to senior management, but it took frenzied months for the team to undo the damage and get the bank back into compliance with the instructions of the courts.  This refusal to provide what should be a minimum level of service as standard -or to even see the refusal as a problem- appears to be a peculiarly British disease. Smiley Frustrated

Managing Editor
Post 8 of 8

But that is the point, it isn't part of the standard service & as far as I  know it was never was and has never intended to be.