New sim

Runner
Post 1 of 4

New sim

Hi just received my  sim , unfortunately I'm not convinced my phone is unlocked , I'm on Talkmobile on Vodafone at present , ive put the sim in  , checked the list of available operators , sky doesn't appear , there's one called 23410 . 

Will I have to activate sim to try and test further , and if I do activate , but find the phones locked , what are my options will I be charged and locked into a contract by activating...

All Replies
Managing Editor
Post 2 of 4

Re: New sim

@A+J+Hat wrote:

Hi just received my  sim , unfortunately I'm not convinced my phone is unlocked , I'm on Talkmobile on Vodafone at present , ive put the sim in  , checked the list of available operators , sky doesn't appear , there's one called 23410 . 

Will I have to activate sim to try and test further , and if I do activate , but find the phones locked , what are my options will I be charged and locked into a contract by activating...

You need to activate your Sim 1st otherwise it can't work.  Once you activate the sim you are agreeing to the contract, if your phobne is locked there is no reason why you can't get it unlocked by your current provider.

Runner
Post 3 of 4

@GD1 wrote:

@A+J+Hat wrote:

You need to activate your Sim 1st otherwise it can't work.  Once you activate the sim you are agreeing to the contract, if your phobne is locked there is no reason why you can't get it unlocked by your current provider.

unfortunatly i've spent months , and months , and months attempting to get my phone unlocked , an old huawei , to eventually be told by Talk and Huawei themselves they were unable to help re unlocking , it was either unlocked already and had been for a while without my realising it (?) , or , there was no code , either way neither could help. 

The only way i can see to test it is to borrow a sim from someone and try it in the phone.

But i've also tried a network search on the phone , 3, voda , and a couple of others are shown , but no Sky....

Sound Designer
Post 4 of 4

Sky is a VMN virtual mobile network. It's runs ok O2, like Tesco so won't show up on the network list. Also, doing a network search doesn't confirm your handset is unlocked. It will always pick up other networks in search, as it would do when outside the UK roaming. But it's the boot up that checks in the handset can use all network sims or just one. Your best poping into car phone warehouse or somewhere and asking to try another SIM as your thinking of changing. They will try it and after say thank you and walk away. They will help if they think they will get a sale. Or ask a friend to try thier SIM, you have friends right? 

Samsung S9
Recommended Threads
16-10-2018 09:22 PM
4 weeks ago 02:46 PM
28-09-2018 12:02 PM
23-10-2018 04:49 PM
22-10-2018 08:19 PM