Discussion topic: I have been using the roaming £2 per day while being abroad, but been charged 178

This message was authored by Jason108 This message was authored by: Jason108

I have been using the roaming £2 per day while being abroad, but been charged 178

I have been using my roaming data for the past 2 weeks but couldn't use it in Monaco yesterday I have just looked at my next bill and it says I have been charged £178 for data. I wasn't told about this and couldn't even get online

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: I have been using the roaming £2 per day while being abroad, but been charged 178

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jason108 

The Principality of Monaco is outside the EU (although it participates in some EU agreements) and so the £2 roaming payment to access a UK bundle doesn't apply.  If your device made even a background connection to a network there then unfortunately the extremely high cost per megabyte is charged.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: I have been using the roaming £2 per day while being abroad, but been charged 178

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Jason108 

The Principality of Monaco is outside the EU (although it participates in some EU agreements) and so the £2 roaming payment to access a UK bundle doesn't apply.  If your device made even a background connection to a network there then unfortunately the extremely high cost per megabyte is charged.

Monaco is one of the more reasonable RoW locations - 'only' 36p per MEG.

So that's around 0.5 Gb - not an insignificant amount.  Worth contacting Sky (on 150) to challenge if a service didn't seem to be provided.

However, if your device did connect to a local cellular service and transmit the data they may not be sympathetic.  Didn't you have a spend cap set?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion