Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

Boom Operator
Post 31 of 52

Re: Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

@B16+S7U wrote:

I suggest it would be worth creating a thread for the ‘Airplane Fix’ simply to collate and calculate the impact this is having. 

The handful of cases that we have here would be enough to cause concern, but I know of others who have simply given up on the data part of their account. 

I’d be happy to do this along side this thread? 

I already have a long and protracted history with support, so can carry forward. 

Let me me know what you think. 👍

Go for it Smiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 32 of 52

@Pedro202 wrote:

Can also confirm that this does help with mine too. In Dungannon a few days ago I was getting 2.5mbit down and 3mbit up. after an airplane mode pause I then got 107mbit down and 35mbit up. Seemed to stay working until my signal dropped to H+ on my travels. Have had to do it a few times since.

107??? Wow, didn't even know that was possible.

I'm at home so just tried again and got:-

11.5 & 10.9, 4G

After airplane mode, 13.69 & 21.22, 4G

Airplane mode again and switched to 3G (H+) 23.99 & 5.08 (very consistent looking at previous readings on 3G)

Back to 4G (airplane mode again) 14.9 & 21.79

The relatively slow 4G at home may be due to my position of course, I'm not back at work until the weekend where I usually get a better signal so I'll try from there.

Boom Operator
Post 33 of 52

@Colin0000 wrote:

@Pedro202 wrote:

Can also confirm that this does help with mine too. In Dungannon a few days ago I was getting 2.5mbit down and 3mbit up. after an airplane mode pause I then got 107mbit down and 35mbit up. Seemed to stay working until my signal dropped to H+ on my travels. Have had to do it a few times since.

107??? Wow, didn't even know that was possible.

I'm at home so just tried again and got:-

11.5 & 10.9, 4G

After airplane mode, 13.69 & 21.22, 4G

Airplane mode again and switched to 3G (H+) 23.99 & 5.08 (very consistent looking at previous readings on 3G)

Back to 4G (airplane mode again) 14.9 & 21.79

The relatively slow 4G at home may be due to my position of course, I'm not back at work until the weekend where I usually get a better signal so I'll try from there.

Yep 107 is very high, the most I have seen after airplane mode is around 45. Impressive though!

Runner
Post 34 of 52

I had my wife try the airplane fix while we were drive just East of the very tip of the Lake District. Fair to say I was expecting much, however it did improve her DL / UL by 10X  

does everyone one else see a massive spike during the upload test ( 40/50/60+ mbps) and then level out higher that DL? 

Runner
Post 35 of 52

Screenshot_20190101-092550_Speedtest.jpg

I stand corrected it was 104mbit lol. Either way it was significantly faster after an airplane mode fix.

Researcher
Post 36 of 52

I tried the airplane mode fix on my phone but it didn't make any difference. Whenever I go near to Swansea city centre, my phone is almost unusable. I did a speed test a couple of days ago and I was getting 0.34Mbps down and 0.07Mbps up.

Runner
Post 37 of 52

Yea I get similar behaviour in Belfast. Busy places the speed is crap regardless

Boom Operator
Post 38 of 52

FYI all who are having this problem.

I have been told by my contact at Sky that some of their technical guys are having a meeting with Telefonica in the coming days and this issue is on the agenda.

I mentioned other people on here were having the same issues and he's said that a few more people have reported the issue now hence the meeting. He did also say the more people that report it the higher the priority it will be for them, so advised everyone who hasn't done so already to contact Sky and make some noise about it!

Researcher
Post 39 of 52

I hope they get it sorted soon. I wish I hadn't moved to Sky mobile, if they don't sort it then I will move when the contract is up. Tesco doesn't have the same problem so it is something between Sky and O2.

Boom Operator
Post 40 of 52

@Snake78 wrote:

I hope they get it sorted soon. I wish I hadn't moved to Sky mobile, if they don't sort it then I will move when the contract is up. Tesco doesn't have the same problem so it is something between Sky and O2.

Make sure you call up to complain if you haven't already.

Camera Assistant
Post 41 of 52

@jamesm182 wrote:

I have been told by my contact at Sky that some of their technical guys are having a meeting with Telefonica in the coming days and this issue is on the agenda.

I mentioned other people on here were having the same issues and he's said that a few more people have reported the issue now hence the meeting. He did also say the more people that report it the higher the priority it will be for them, so advised everyone who hasn't done so already to contact Sky and make some noise about it!

Any update on this that you can share?

Boom Operator
Post 42 of 52

@Colin0000 wrote:

@jamesm182 wrote:

Any update on this that you can share?

Yes, thanks for the prompt.

A few days ago I had a call from my contact at Sky who tells me that the technical team have confirmed the issue is now resolved.

Personally, I seem to have noticed some improvement - I haven't needed to use the airplane mode "fix" to access higher speeeds at least in some places that I was having to do it before. There are still areas where speeds are frustratingly slow though, and the airplane mode fix doesn't work in those places, so I assume that's just the network being poor in those areas?

For example, there's one location I can go to that's fairly local to me where I can access 40+ mbps without the airplane mode fix, whereas there's another location locally that I only get around 2mbps and the airplane mode doesn't improve this. Both showing full/decent 4G signal.

Have you noticed any difference in the last week or two?

Runner
Post 43 of 52

Hi, 

I have to say, nothing has improved for me 😩 and I’d love to leave. More on that..... 

I recently got got to the end of my 5 month ‘discussion’ with SKY on the slow / nonexistent 4G /3G speed and was basically told that my issue would not be looked at again as they feel there’s nothing more they could do, put the blame on Apple (iPhone XS Max) and finally said that I would have to go to ‘deadlock if I wanted to go any further. 

For or anyone who’s not aware, Deadlock is SKY’s final position when a resolution can not be reached. You’re then sent a letter and have to go to an OFCOM regulated body called CISAS.... it basically a like it or lump it option with no guarantee of a resolution.... or £30 M&S voucher which you basically accept as ‘compensation’. SKY then have done their job .... hmmmmm. 

In my case, I reported the issue immediately after joining SKY Mobile and leaving EE (wife and I). I spent endless hours on the phone, talking to almost every member of the support team. I was told I’d be called back... it didn’t happen. I had to keep re-opening the ticket. 

I had had to unlock my old EE phone to prove it wasn’t device related... that was an interesting call to EE.

I was was given all sorts of promises of a resolution.... and finally, after 5 months, told that they wouldn’t do any more. 

I’m meant to live in an area with excellent 4G coverage, but find myself getting less than 0.8mbps down and 0.2mbps up say at home.... where I previously achieved 90mbps down / 25mbps up with EE. 

I then hen go to middle of the lakes and get ‘usable’ service levels.... but they’re still all over the place and certainly not reliable. 

I’ve had to give up now. I was basically told I could leave, but I’d have to pay a lot of money to terminate early or hand the phones back and lose all the money paid (2 x iPhone XS Max). I just can’t be bothered now.... 

I have to say the last guy I spoke to was very helpful and as frustrated as I, as he could see how many calls and for how long the issue had been going on. 

If anyone comes across this post and needs advice... just let me know. I could posssibly save you the hassle of being delayed and expectations completely ignored. 

Stu 

Camera Assistant
Post 44 of 52

"Have you noticed any difference in the last week or two?"

Not been testing up until I came back to this thread today. I got 10UL & 17DL this morning before doing the airplane trick,  17UL & 12DL after which is pretty much the same inconsistency to what I was getting previously.

I'm currently charging it but I've restarted the phone and will try it again from here (home) and outside over the next day or two.

Runner
Post 45 of 52

Hi Stu,

I don't know if you have read my previous posts but i have had an unpleasant time with Sky.

Their advisers lie through their teeth when they insist that they have never heard of the word "throttling".

Luckily i was able to get out and decided to pay the early termination fee which was only £12.50.

I joined O2 this morning anf i am getting a solid 30mbps.

In your case, make a copy of all the complaints from various blogs and take them to the small claims court.

In my opinion you stand a good chance of winning.