Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

Camera Assistant
Post 16 of 52

Re: Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

@Jayboy1990 wrote:

@weller74 wrote:

When you go with a mobile network like sky that piggybacks off o2. O2 CUSTOMERS are priority with data speeds sky customers are  put on a different frequency where the speed will always be slower. Also your calls and txt may be affected when in a busy area this is also due to O2 customers being priority. There is an old saying. (you only get what you pay for) that's way when you go with someone who piggybacks off another network it's always cheaper.

This should be included in Sky's fine print!

Yes it should, of course it's not actually true but why let facts get in the way of a good rant Smiley Wink

Boom Operator
Post 17 of 52

It is slower so we getting a crap service. How do we explain it??

Runner
Post 18 of 52

I have the same issue too and have had for months so I decided to keep on at Sky and they have investigated and discovered that I am stuck on a 2mbps speed profile and will have to escalate to O2 to investigate further but it won't be resolved until the new year but don't have a time frame yet, sounds like a cop out.  Sky cannot provide 4g speeds to any of the four Sims I have with them so I am on hold to get my pac codes.  How disappointing...  

Boom Operator
Post 19 of 52

@Rory8413 wrote:

I have the same issue too and have had for months so I decided to keep on at Sky and they have investigated and discovered that I am stuck on a 2mbps speed profile and will have to escalate to O2 to investigate further but it won't be resolved until the new year but don't have a time frame yet, sounds like a cop out.  Sky cannot provide 4g speeds to any of the four Sims I have with them so I am on hold to get my pac codes.  How disappointing...  

Sounds like you're in the same situation as me. I also got told my issue was to do with being stuck on the wrong download profile and that it was a Telefonica issue... Out of interest what phone do you have?

Runner
Post 20 of 52

Hi 

OnePlus 6T, dual SIM... Both sim slots giving max of 2 meg...  Kids have Samsung J5 and A5 and other half has S8 plus and they all have the same issue.

Worth mentioning that Sky explained on the call that it is unlikely to change, basically it's what is provided to them by O2... Gave PAC's on all numbers and won't be charging early termination... Off to Argos to pick up an EE Flex SIM which I know gives me 85mbps 😊

Boom Operator
Post 21 of 52

Fair enough. Probably worth having a different network in at least one of the SIM slots anyway.

Have you tried switching airplane mode on for a few minutes? Sometimes this seems to cause the connection to reset for me. I have seen as high as 45mbps on sky although I still get 2 or less a lot of the time.

Camera Assistant
Post 22 of 52

I've been running Speedtest for awhile on and off and had a gradually degrading service since 07/12/18 where I hit 30.7 DL, & 3.80 UL(at work, no idea why that was low, it's usually 9 to 11 UL) down to 2 runs today at home of just over 2 DL & 2 UL.

I popped it on to airplane mode and back off and am back to 21.7 DL & 20.3 UL, this is at home and the DL speeds are normal for here, the UL speeds are the highest I've ever had.

So using airplane mode works for sure.

Boom Operator
Post 23 of 52

@Colin0000 wrote:

I've been running Speedtest for awhile on and off and had a gradually degrading service since 07/12/18 where I hit 30.7 DL, & 3.80 UL(at work, no idea why that was low, it's usually 9 to 11 UL) down to 2 runs today at home of just over 2 DL & 2 UL.

I popped it on to airplane mode and back off and am back to 21.7 DL & 20.3 UL, this is at home and the DL speeds are normal for here, the UL speeds are the highest I've ever had.

So using airplane mode works for sure.

Looks like you have the same problem as me then. Weirdly today it has been fine though! Have been getting more than 10mbps without needing to use airplane mode. Not sure if it has been fixed for me or just a one off fluke. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Glad the airplane trick is working for you though! The other option is leaving it on 3G all the time which is often faster than 4G.

Runner
Post 24 of 52

I’ve been having issues since day 1. 

My wife and I were previously with EE and enjoyed 100dl / 20ul from our address. 

After movingnover to SKY and receiving two new iPhone XS Max phones it was very clear there were problems. 

Months have passed, many hours on the phone, with many departments and still no solution. 

I have gone over and beyond what a customer should do . At one point ‘mapping’ all masts in the area and walking a 8+ mile loop taking Speedtests every half mile. This showed that the 4G / 3G signal was terrible / non-existent. 

I’m now left waiting for an update, despite chasing, chasing, chasing. 

I’ve gone from using my phone to stream music (all over Cumbria and Northumberland, working away from home (I’m a CTO so being connected is important) to no longer leaving the house to work unless I can find WiFi and having to download music / podcasts / audio books before I leave. 

Like you all, I am paying to take advantage of the piggy bank, but I’m banking 90% + each month across two profiles. 

I’ve cancelled my Spotify account as I can not listen on the go and my Amazon music account only gets used in the house.... 

All of the VIP bonuses (unlimited data etc) and compensation when O2 went down is a joke when we’re unable to use the basic (expected) features of our contracts. 

Camera Assistant
Post 25 of 52

You are aware that Sky uses the O2 infrastructure and not your previous EE network? How is O2 (not just Sky) reception in your usual haunts? Have you tried turning airplane mode on and off again?

Runner
Post 26 of 52

@Colin0000 wrote:

You are aware that Sky uses the O2 infrastructure and not your previous EE network? How is O2 (not just Sky) reception in your usual haunts? Have you tried turning airplane mode on and off again?

Yes. More than aware. I looked at coverage and discussed this before moving. 

At home I get somewhere round 0.8dl / sometimes refuses to complete upload. It appears my address is a black spot (not confirmed by SKY or 02 coverage map) which suggest excellent performance expected. 

The ‘airplane fix’ does nothing for me. 

I understand EE are best for 4G and I’d be happy with 1/4 of what I was getting. 

I’ve run tests locally, Edinburgh, Manchester Newcastle and at the top of mountains. All rubbish 😂

Runner
Post 27 of 52

@Colin0000 - Update: I was able to take the opportunity of being a passenger while my wife drive through the city today and I tried multiple speed tests, then tried the ‘airplane fix’ 

This allowed me to go from 2.4dl / 2.3ul to 32dl / 34ul

So clearly, I’m also suffering from being artificially profiled at a much lower speed (or one with a low limit) 

I’ll be calling up once again to report my findings. 

It it appears my own address still gives me sub 1mb speed, regardless of applying the airplane fix 

Boom Operator
Post 28 of 52

@B16+S7U wrote:

@Colin0000 - Update: I was able to take the opportunity of being a passenger while my wife drive through the city today and I tried multiple speed tests, then tried the ‘airplane fix’ 

This allowed me to go from 2.4dl / 2.3ul to 32dl / 34ul

So clearly, I’m also suffering from being artificially profiled at a much lower speed (or one with a low limit) 

I’ll be calling up once again to report my findings. 

It it appears my own address still gives me sub 1mb speed, regardless of applying the airplane fix 

Yep looks like you've got the same issue as me. Just tested again and still happening.

At my home address the airplane fix has allowed me to go from 2dl to 9.5dl just now. Out and about I've had it go as high as 45dl after doing this.

Weirdly though, I'm sure I've had it go a few days before without seeing the slowdown, and then all of a sudden it's back again. Very odd.

Runner
Post 29 of 52

Can also confirm that this does help with mine too. In Dungannon a few days ago I was getting 2.5mbit down and 3mbit up. after an airplane mode pause I then got 107mbit down and 35mbit up. Seemed to stay working until my signal dropped to H+ on my travels. Have had to do it a few times since.

Runner
Post 30 of 52

I suggest it would be worth creating a thread for the ‘Airplane Fix’ simply to collate and calculate the impact this is having. 

The handful of cases that we have here would be enough to cause concern, but I know of others who have simply given up on the data part of their account. 

I’d be happy to do this along side this thread? 

I already have a long and protracted history with support, so can carry forward. 

Let me me know what you think. 👍