Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

Camera Assistant
Post 1 of 52

Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

Hey all,

As many others would have done over the weekend, i had been enjoying the weather in 3 different locations. (Wales,Somerset and Shropshire)

All three locations i had '4G/3G' displayed on my screen iPhone X, latest version IOS.

In each location me, mum and dad all on Sky mobile couldnt get anything to load as it either just gave up or refused to load. Id like to say it was better in one place over another but it was cosistanlty SLOW or NON EXISTENT but still showed 4G/3G

What is happening? Either we were being managed (queued) when accessing the mast or tethered (slowed down). This is such a frustration as none of us could rely on or use our Data. Calls and texts no problems.

I consider myself tech savvy and so far iv tried Soft reset of the device then a Network settings reset. All to no avail. Smiley Frustrated

Anybody else had this issue? Im not getting anywhere with CS.

This again raises the question on how the infrastructure is all setup and how Sky mobile customers are prioritised when accessing the network. This was never an issue when on EE or directly with O2 etc.

Thanks

Jay 

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Just helping where i can. Or adding my 2 pence worth!
All Replies
Boom Operator
Post 2 of 52

Re: Extremely slow/non existent Data speeds

This also happened to me over the weekend in two locations on the east coast. I have two phones with sky & the rest of my family are on O2. Now I know that at busy times when there's too many people in one location that service is going to struggle  bit (which is fire enough). But it's not acceptable not to be able to get online altogeather. Yet my brother had no proplem with this data speeds all weekend. It's the same  for me when ever I goto a popular visitor location. But if I go midweek when there is not too mant people there then the internet speeds are fine.. Think the mast can't handle the amount of people logging onto one mast, so it shows you have 4g/3g  but you don't..

Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 52

@Hansol2005 wrote:

This also happened to me over the weekend in two locations on the east coast. I have two phones with sky & the rest of my family are on O2. Now I know that at busy times when there's too many people in one location that service is going to struggle  bit (which is fire enough). But it's not acceptable not to be able to get online altogeather. Yet my brother had no proplem with this data speeds all weekend. It's the same  for me when ever I goto a popular visitor location. But if I go midweek when there is not too mant people there then the internet speeds are fine.. Think the mast can't handle the amount of people logging onto one mast, so it shows you have 4g/3g  but you don't..

Still doesnt make the situation any better, why cant i rely on my Data to be there and accessible when i want it most!!!

Sky CS have been no use. @Sam-R Please can you ask some internal questions as to why this is happening, and what is being done to fix it?

Cheers

Jay

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*

Runner
Post 4 of 52

When you go with a mobile network like sky that piggybacks off o2. O2 CUSTOMERS are priority with data speeds sky customers are  put on a different frequency where the speed will always be slower. Also your calls and txt may be affected when in a busy area this is also due to O2 customers being priority. There is an old saying. (you only get what you pay for) that's way when you go with someone who piggybacks off another network it's always cheaper.

Camera Assistant
Post 5 of 52

100% correct, I’ve proved this theory.

I’m on Sky Mobile and my wife is on O2. We both have identical phones (iPhone X A1901, both with the Intel modem) so internally they are identical. 

While in Cardiff 2 weeks ago we both had 4G displayed with full service of 4 bars of signal. Yet a speed test done by me shown just over 3.1megs download, yet wife was enjoying 38.6megs download. Basically I was getting less than a tenth of her service with an identical device and same signal level, the only differing factor was the network. 

To to be honest it’s wrong on so many levels but unfortunately it happens and OFCOM allow it to happen without any impunity.

Runner
Post 6 of 52

Just to share my experience i have taken out 2 new phones with Sky and have found the 4G speed to be non existent. Ive been troubleshooting this for a while with Sky to so far no avail. 2 things ive found that can help.

1) Switch your APN settings from Sky to O2's settings. This worked for me for a while and provided unrestricted speeds that sky seems to get.

2) This is my permanent "fix" so far. I have set my phones to use 3g only. Without 4g my speeds are exceptional, zero throttling so i get 15-20mbit all the time. Not really a fix but it gives me no restriction on my speeds whilst Sky do their "troubleshooting".

Hope that helps someone Smiley Happy

Peter

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 52

Do they tell us that in the terms and conditions?

even in the centre of Leeds my new phone with sky mobile is pig slow.

ridiculous.

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 52

@Pedro202 wrote:

Just to share my experience i have taken out 2 new phones with Sky and have found the 4G speed to be non existent. Ive been troubleshooting this for a while with Sky to so far no avail. 2 things ive found that can help.

1) Switch your APN settings from Sky to O2's settings. This worked for me for a while and provided unrestricted speeds that sky seems to get.

2) This is my permanent "fix" so far. I have set my phones to use 3g only. Without 4g my speeds are exceptional, zero throttling so i get 15-20mbit all the time. Not really a fix but it gives me no restriction on my speeds whilst Sky do their "troubleshooting".

Hope that helps someone Smiley Happy

Peter

Hi Peter,

Any update on this?

I've just switched to sky mobile and appear to be having the same issue. 4G speeds are shockingly bad, usually less than 2mbps, whereas 3G seems reasonably decent. Very disappointing so far!

Thanks, 

James

Runner
Post 9 of 52

Unfortunately no fix. Sky finished their investigation and concluded that it was a capacity issue. I found from troubleshooting that certain masts in certain places do work okay. But high capacity areas suck. I was near the sse arena in belfast on Sunday when a gig was on and even 3g wouldn't work at all. I've come to terms with just using 3g now. They told me to get in touch again in December. Incidentally they told me to tell everyone to complain if they have this problem and reference my name (Peter Smith) They are taking it to o2 to investigate further.

Edited for horrendous auto correct

Boom Operator
Post 10 of 52

@Pedro202 wrote:

Unfortunately no fix. Sky finished their investigation and concluded that it was a capacity issue. I found from troubleshooting that certain mats in certain places do work okay. But high capacity areas stuck. I was bar the sse arena in belay on Sunday when a gig was on and even 3g wouldn't work at all. I've cone to terms with just using 3g now. They told me to get in touch again in remember. Incidentally they told me to tell everyone to complain if they have this problem and reference my name. They are talking it to o2 to investigate further

Thanks for the update, I thought you might say that!

I've tried speaking to customer service but they're no help and don't really understand! 

I'm considering emailing a complaint to the CEO or something and highlighting these threads as their seems to be a few of us with issues. I suspect evryoeve has the issue but light users don't realise.

I have very occasionally managed a decent speed on 4G but 90% of the time it sucks. I have thought about switching to 3G only but it just seems a real shame to have to do that!

Viewer
Post 11 of 52

I have four 4G Sims and the best I get is 2-3mbs. My friend on O2 gets 20mbs sitting next to me and my friend on EE gets over 100mbs all the while the sky sim shows that I'm receiving 4G+. That's just shoddy service. Sky sent me a new replacement sim, but hadhas solved the data stored problem. Their technical team are not very good either, as they read off scripts. I've made my mind up, I'm going to write to the CEO and ask to be released from my contacts.

Runner
Post 12 of 52

@AminaG wrote:

I have four 4G Sims and the best I get is 2-3mbs. My friend on O2 gets 20mbs sitting next to me and my friend on EE gets over 100mbs all the while the sky sim shows that I'm receiving 4G+. That's just shoddy service. Sky sent me a new replacement sim, but hadhas solved the data stored problem. Their technical team are not very good either, as they read off scripts. I've made my mind up, I'm going to write to the CEO and ask to be released from my contacts.

Sky told me to get back in touch in December so im planning to get in touch with them over this weekend. Behaviour of my data is still exactly the same. In Belfast on 4G+ it sucks even worse, when i was on EE i would gett 100mbit+ in Belfast. i get 4-5mbit on Sky. Ive been to a couple of gigs at the SSE arena in belfast the last few months and in a busy place like that my data actually stops working completely.

Boom Operator
Post 13 of 52

As a bit of an update I'm not in touch with the priority/executive help team. They have been reasonably helpful so far.

They did a bit of technical digging, and supposedly although my phone is showing full 4G, it's actually stuck on a 2G download profile. A temporary fix is sometimes enabling airplane mode for a few seconds and then switching it off again. Tried this morning with full 4G -  was getting circa 1.6mbps, after the airplane mode trick I got 45mbps.... quite a difference!

Apparently they're working on a fix for this issue, but it has been going on since before the O2 blackout so probably going to call in today for an update.

Speaking to standard customer services isn't helpful as they just read off a script and ask you to replace your sim etc. which does  not solve the problem. I'm lead to believe the problem is only on certain devices, hence why I guess we're not seeing hundreds of people complain about this.

I'm using a Pixel 2 XL and my wife is using a Pixel XL for reference.

Camera Assistant
Post 14 of 52

@weller74 wrote:

When you go with a mobile network like sky that piggybacks off o2. O2 CUSTOMERS are priority with data speeds sky customers are  put on a different frequency where the speed will always be slower. Also your calls and txt may be affected when in a busy area this is also due to O2 customers being priority. There is an old saying. (you only get what you pay for) that's way when you go with someone who piggybacks off another network it's always cheaper.

This should be included in Sky's fine print!

Boom Operator
Post 15 of 52

@Jayboy1990 wrote:

@weller74 wrote:

This should be included in Sky's fine print!

This is what I thought was happening but Sky are adamant this is not the case. They have told me there is a technical fault.