Disable Parental Controls

Runner
Post 16 of 37

Re: Disable Parental Controls

As an update, I have just taken out a Sky Mobile account and encountered the same problems. I too do not have a credit card and, as a paying customer, I am absolutely entitled to use the full functionalty of my phone.  I do agree in restrictions being in place as default, to keep children safe, however this is a definite grey area which I'm told is being looked into and rectified in the next few months. 

All phone networks require a credit card to confirm age. However, most of these have stores which you can visit to show identification. Sky do not have these stores so can only accept the credit card procedure. As I do not have a credit card I would be aggrieved to be forced into signing up for one just to confirm my age.

However.. after speaking to them I was told they do accept someone else's credit card!! Which I duly did. And now my restrictions are lifted. I'm completely bamboozled!!, surely anyone under 18 can just use someone else's credit card to gain access, therefore making absolutely no sense. 

This is definitely an oversight in their admin process, but I was told that every issue raised by customers raises more attention so would suggest everyone speak to Sky and mention the issue so they can resolve it quicker.

Runner
Post 17 of 37

I have just encountered the same issue with Sky. I do not have a credit card and cannot lift parental controls. I’ve had a Sky Talk, TV and Broadband account for 6 years in my current home for which I have a mortgage. I am 38. This is totally absurd and am seriously regretting my move to Sky Mobile from O2 as I’ve encountered nothing but poor services and poor service since doing so. 

Researcher
Post 18 of 37

I have just encountered the same problem. I have held a sky account for nearly 20 years.. For some reasons my credit card declined although funds were there. I called Sky VIP number and went through DPA checks then was told I must use a card. I asked why do you need to do this when you have verified who I am. I was told by Jordan this is in case you have handed the phone to an under 18, although they could see I was calling from my mobile. I asked to speak to a manger and was told no....I have now emailed the CEO over this ludicrous  behaviour and varying lies I am being told. Will keep you all updated.

New Viewer
Post 19 of 37

Hi if you go to sky broadband shield you can change your settings for watershed.. so you can access 18+ all day whilst using your broadband. For sky mobile data roaming you still have to use a credit card unfortunately I had to borrow a friends

Researcher
Post 20 of 37

I to have a very similar issue, I but with a twist. Having tried both online and with a human, 3 to be exact. To enter my card details it is rejected by the Sky system. I've tried my wifes card still no joy and then the same request to use someone elses card which as mentioned defeats the object. Sky dont have an alternative and say they have never heard of this problem. 3 weeks ago I was told they would look into still no joy. This is so fustratring I  know my card is good as i use it when travelling. 

Researcher
Post 21 of 37

Hi Sunny I feel your frustration,

I have now tried two different credit card(not visa) still not working - I am getting a oops something went wrong not to do with the credit card iisuers as they suggested. I emailed the CEO and had an immediate response from the executive customer care team. They said they would look into this and call me back.........unfortunately I am still awaiting a call as promised from nearly three weeks ago. I spoke about the frustration that they go through GDPR checks and  therefore they know I am the account holder or they could not continue the call but there system is not working on there end. Also if i wanted to switch enything else on that required verification I can do this with a call to customer service or via my mobile app. Sky should have the same policy accross all the platforms they deliver so it is a seamless customer journey and stop making their problems ours! I will email the CEO again and update you. 

Community Manager
Post 22 of 37

@bilzor - what type of card are you trying to use, is it Mastercard or different?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by GDPR in your post below. Are you unable to pass security checks in order to talk to an agent? 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Runner
Post 23 of 37

Surely that is irrelevant? The point is the checks in place are inadequate. Shouldn’t matter which credit card we are using if we have one. Point is there should be an alternative to credit cards in the first day place. 

Should be made clear when you take out a contract that you won’t get full access to services without a credit card. Since that isn’t stated, that to me is a misselling of services. 

The fact you go through a credit check to get a contract is proof of age so I don’t get why it’s disable when you give us a contract in the first place where you must be 18 years of age. You have already verified the contract holders age for that? 

Community Manager
Post 24 of 37

Hi @DanE1411 - I can't fault your logic there regarding the wider process. I'm just trying to ascertain why someone who is happy to go through the verification via credit card isn't having any luck. 

I have passed on my thoughts (as well as your post) regarding requiring a credit card to lift parental controls and my thoughts are there should be alternative ways. 

Sam
Community Manager

Researcher
Post 25 of 37

This is my problem too. And I am 50. I don’t have and don’t want to have a credit card. I was hoping there would be another way as I already have Sky TV so they should bloody know my age already 

Researcher
Post 26 of 37

Hi Sam,

I tried a mastercard and a visa.....and still waiting for my return call from executive customer support!

Runner
Post 27 of 37

i totally agree mate

Researcher
Post 28 of 37

So Here we are at the end of October nearly and still no responce from Sky. I did have cause to contact Sky Mobile on another issue recently and asked if they would give me an update. I was told the that person could not comment and they would contact the last person whom I contacted regards the Parental controls and get them to call me and give me an update, well that was last month.

So Sky Sam-R community manager can I ask you, do you have Sky Mobile  and have you managed to remove your parental controls? As a 58 years young chap this is no joke anymore, there is nothing worse then been told we will get back to you and nothing happens. Please get you company to get thier heads out of the sand and deal with this issue your a manager, Manage.

Researcher
Post 29 of 37

Sky Sam-R

That is such a load of .......

<removed>

We all believe its an inditement on your integrity and ability, even if you believe it isnt.

Moderator note: removed unnecessary personal attacks

Community Manager
Post 30 of 37

Hi @sunnybee - yep I have 5 SIMs and one device via Sky Mobile. I actually haven't had the need to remove parental controls myself. 

I just manage the Sky Community, I don't have direct authority to fix this. I have passed on concerns from this thread for now. 

@frustratedskyqcus - I'm not sure what you mean and there's no need for that really. Have you contacted us to make a formal complaint? The need for a credit card is our policy for now.

Sam
Community Manager