Disable Parental Controls

Researcher
Post 1 of 18

Earlier today I tried to access the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) website and it came up that’s Sky had blocked it as it looked like an adult website and I needed to disable parental controls if I wanted to visit it.

I logged in to MySky and found that my Controls were already disabled, so went back to the website and refreshed but no, still blocked.

Foolishly, I then went back to my Sky settings and planned to turn them on and off again, to see if that did anything, but then, when I went to turn them off, I was told I needed to enter credit card details to prove I was over 18.

I am fortunate enough to not need a credit card so therefore I don’t have one. I tried using my debit card but I knew and declined it.

I phoned the Sky Help Team and was told.. “Could you use someone else’s credit card and give them the £1 refunded verification fee?”

I am 29 in a few weeks, but because I don’t have a credit card and Sky don’t allow any other way of proving my age, theyre now going to block content thinking I’m under 18. It’s ridiculous!

All Replies
Runner
Post 2 of 18

Re: Disable Parental Controls

Hi @andy12340,

• To turn off Parental Controls, you’ll need to verify that you're over 18 using a Credit card payment. Your card will be charged £1 which will be credited back to your Sky Mobile account.

• Parental Controls settings can be changed at any time, sign in to Manage.

• If you have more than one SIM on your account, you can set different Parental Controls settings for each SIM.

• If you’re using Wi-Fi then Parental Controls won’t apply (your broadband provider or public Wi-Fi provider may have other settings or filters).

Thanks,

Italo.

Researcher
Post 3 of 18

Hi Italo,

As I said in my original message, I do not have a credit card.

I wasnt aware that it was a rite of passage to get one the second you turn 18...

Runner
Post 4 of 18

Hi @andy12340,

You can contact Sky to validate other options.

Thanks,

Italo.

Researcher
Post 5 of 18

Again, as I said in my original post, the advisor on the phone said credit card validation was the only option..

Runner
Post 6 of 18

If it is the only option, it only remains to do it that way.

Thanks,

Italo.

Community Manager
Post 7 of 18

Hi @andy12340

I take it you were not on WiFi when this happened? 

It looks to me like IMDB might be wrongly classified. You can email crsupport@sky.uk to say you think that it is. 

If you're on WiFi and this is happening and you're on Sky Broadband you may need to adjust settings here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-explained

As for the credit card, it looks as if this is the only way to do it but I am asking the question to see if there is another way. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Community Manager
Post 8 of 18

It seems that regarding the credit card. This is the only way we can do things for now. 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 9 of 18

That is totally disrespectfull 

Loads of customers have debit cards and NOT credit cards. (through affordability or any other issues).

That reeks of discrimination and cannot be lawfull? 

Oracle
Post 10 of 18

@frustratedskyqcus Its not discrimination and it is 100% legal, Sky have to make sure that anyone trying to remove the adult restrictions is 18 or over. You don't have to be 18 to have a debit card and anyone under 16 can have one as long as the bank has the permission of the parent/parents to issue one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracles are not Sky employees, we are just customers and will not be able to assist with account or billing issues.

imagebam.com
Researcher
Post 11 of 18

No doubt you dont have this problem with owning a credit card!

It is elegal that SKY have chosen that the ONLY mechanism to amend the parental controll is via a credit card!

Thats discrimination agains all its customers that do not have a credit card!!!!!!!

With todays tech available it would be simple to offer an alternative mechanism if the montiation was there.

If their revenue stream was threatened somehow, undoubtly they would immediately find a remedy pretty quickly!!

The OMBUTSMAN may have the power to force them into behaving responsibily to ALL their paying customers, who afterall pay their salaries!

Oracle
Post 12 of 18

@frustratedskyqcus Actually I don't own a credit card  so your assumption is wrong.

Sky are not doing anything illegal by choosing to only accept a credit card for age verification, it is the easiest solution for them due to a person only being able to get one when 18 or over.

The ombudsman wouldn't force Sky to change their policy as it is perfectly fair and it no way is it against any rules or regulations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracles are not Sky employees, we are just customers and will not be able to assist with account or billing issues.

imagebam.com
Researcher
Post 13 of 18

You possibly should understand what the OMBUTSMAN can or cant do before making such a declaration. 

I have made contact with them,  and without dismissing my inquiry I believe they will look into it!

Oracle
Post 14 of 18

@frustratedskyqcus I can make the declaration with 100% certainty as i know the OMBUDSMAN will not take any action over your complaint, firstly you would need to have followed Sky's complaints procedure in full (im guessing you haven't) and secondly Sky are not breaking any rules or regulations by insisting on a credit card for age verification(i know this as i used to do the same for my business) for the removal of age related restriction(debit card is not an option for the reasons i specified earlier in the thread).

imagebam.com
Viewer
Post 15 of 18

I am in the same position... here is my issues with it:

1) I am the contract holder of the phone, if i'm not mistaken you must be 18 years of age to have a phone contract? Did they ask for verification of age via credit card then? 

2) If i'm paying for the phone i want full acess to everything and anything without difficulty (after all that is what i am paying for)

3) I also hold a tv account with sky... was there age verification via credit card for it? NO.

4) They should have an alternative way of verifying age... O2 do and make it much easier to change settings.