Can't receive incoming calls

Researcher
Post 1 of 23

Can't receive incoming calls

Imported my number from Vodafone 3 days ago. Can send and recieve text messages, can call other people, can use data. But can't recieve incoming calls. Have rung sky, who take you through the online help protocol on the internet. Have now got all the way through those steps, and still can't recieve calls.

Sky say to send your phone in for repair, only if you bought it from them. I didn't. Phone worked fine when on vodafone, and doesn't make sense that it is a fault with the phone when everything else works.

Anyone suffering from similar problems? 

Would like to stay with Sky, but looks like I'm going to have to activate cooling off period. Smiley Sad

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 23

Re: Can't receive incoming calls

@Jammed wrote:

Imported my number from Vodafone 3 days ago. Can send and recieve text messages, can call other people, can use data. But can't recieve incoming calls. Have rung sky, who take you through the online help protocol on the internet. Have now got all the way through those steps, and still can't recieve calls.

Sky say to send your phone in for repair, only if you bought it from them. I didn't. Phone worked fine when on vodafone, and doesn't make sense that it is a fault with the phone when everything else works.

Anyone suffering from similar problems? 

Would like to stay with Sky, but looks like I'm going to have to activate cooling off period. Smiley Sad

Hi @Jammed Try resetting your network settings, if that doesn't work then you need to call Sky back. It sounds like it hasn't quite ported over correctly.

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Researcher
Post 3 of 23

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

Researcher
Post 4 of 23

Sadly hasn't worked. Appreciate your help though.

Oracle
Post 5 of 23

@Jammed wrote:

Sadly hasn't worked. Appreciate your help though.

Hi @Jammed If you have had this problem since the transfer then it is more than likely a porting issue and you will need to speak to Sky again to sort it out for you. You could also try taking out the sim card and re-inserting it and rebooting the phone again.

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
Boom Operator
Post 6 of 23

@Dazzasky  Thanks friend for your suggestion I will try it and hope it will work for me. Smiley Happy

Sound Supervisor
Post 7 of 23

I've just noticed this problem today. Been with Sky mobile since launch and it's been fine up until the last couple of days. I have an iPhone 6s that I bought unlocked from Apple and previously used without issue on Vodafone. I ported the number to Sky and it worked fine. The last call I received was a couple of days ago. Now when people call me, (and I've tried this myself from our landline) it sounds to them like it's ringing out, then after a few seconds there's a Chinese-accented female recorded mesage saying something like 'the subscriber you require can't answer the phone right now, please try later.' It doesn't divert to my answerphone. I can still make calls and use 4G data. 

I've rebooted the phone and it worked again for about an hour. Now I can't get it to work. Sky's advice was 'clean the SIM contacts', then 'Return the phone to Vodafone for repair.' It didn't come from Vodafone.

They're sending me a new SIM card but frankly, it sounds like a problem from their end, because why else woulnd't my answerphone be working?

Researcher
Post 8 of 23

Hey @AJM1972

I have received the replacement SiM from Sky, and it still doesn't work. I'm not surprised. 

I agree this is definitely a porting issue at their end. Why else would you be able to make calls from the number? Why doesn't it divert to voicemail? 

Hopefully someone from Sky will read this and be able to help. It is potentially a huge issue as I imagine Vodafone customers are a huge market for them..

Sadly the guys on the phone seemed to be all out of ideas. 

Very frustrating!

J

Sound Supervisor
Post 9 of 23

Got my new SIM card and it worked!

For one phone call.

Now the Chinese recorded message is back. Sky want me to completely erase my phone and start again. I have little confidence that it's a phone problem but we'll see in a few minutes. 

Researcher
Post 10 of 23

@AJM1972 Sorry to hear that. 

Sky have told told me that they think it might be a split port. They informed they would pass it on to their tier two engineers and get back to me in two days time. 

Still holding on to some hope, but think I'll have to pull the plug if it isn't resolved before end of the week. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 11 of 23

Well it gets stranger. 

On the advice of Sky, I put my SIM in another phone (an iPhone 4s) and it worked pefectly and reliably. Put it back in my iPhone 6s and it stops working again. Looks, unbelievably, like it might be a handset problem. Goodness knows what's triggered it though. Off to Apple to see what they say. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 12 of 23

Progress: It's a 4G problem. The SIM worked in the iPhone 4s because that only supports 3G. If I force the iPhone 6s to use 3G in 'Mobile Data Options -> Voice & Data' then it works perfectly. Sky still reckon it's an iPhone issue and they've no further troubleshooting steps to try, so I've got a Genius Bar appointment next week with Apple.  

Hope this helps. Andy.

Researcher
Post 13 of 23

Hey @AJM1972

have turned off 4g and it works! Thank you! If you were able to let me know how you get on with you Genius Bar appointment that would be great. Personally I'm still not convinced it's a handset issue!

thanks again. 

J

Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 23

More progress:

I've been out and about testing incoming calls on my iPhone on 4G and it works, but fails again when I get home. I think it must be the local mast, but Sky say it's fine. There's definitely nothing wrong with the phone so I've cancelled my Genius Bar appointment. 

The correct phone behaviour seems to be the following:

- Phone handset displays 4G symbol. 

- When it detects an incoming call, the phone switches to the 3G network, and the call is received successfully. It then returns to the 4G network after the call. I think this may be because you can't do voice calls over 4G.

When at home:

- Phone handset displays 4G signal.

- Phone detects an incoming call and switches to 3G network, but not quickly enough, and the call does not arrive. It doesn't go to my voicemail either, it goes to a random recorded message.

- Phone displays 3G signal, then symbol disappears completely. The number of signal bars does not change. 

- After a few seconds, the 4G symbol returns.  

At home I've got 2 bars of signal, so maybe that's not enough for the system to work correctly. It's still a mystery why calls don't go to my answerphone if they can't get to the handset, but Sky can't help any further.  I'm resigned to having to switch to 3G when at home to guarantee calls can get through.

Researcher
Post 15 of 23

Im having exactly the same problem, just moved over from 02 and now cant receive calls from friends on 02. all other networks are fine! Think i'll have to go back to 02!