Discussion topic: Sky Go Hotel and Motorhome TV

This message was authored by Howsmydiving This message was authored by: Howsmydiving

Sky Go Hotel and Motorhome TV

I'm a long term Sky VIP Diamond Customer.  I use Sky Go when I'm away on business but I can see no good reason why I'm prevented from using Sky Go on a hotel TV when it's only myself in the room watching it.  Instead I have to watch my Premier League on my iPad and not the large hotel room TV.  I understand that there's some legal reason for this but why?  I'd happily pay a bit more to be able to do this.  

I'm now in the process of buying a Motorhome, same scenario, I want to use Sky Go when I'm in the move in my Motorhome to cast to my Motorhome 12V Smart TV.  Is there a good, permanent way I can do this.  

All Replies

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Re: Sky Go Hotel and Motorhome TV

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Howsmydiving I understand your pain.

I was away earlier in the week and took my Apple TV to watch Sky Go on the TV in our lodge.

This was possible because:

1. I have a Multiroom/Whole Home subscription and 
  2. I have a device that supports Sky Go and can connect to hotel WiFi or similar

However, before Sky Go was made available on the Apple TV, when I travelled for work I would plug my laptop into a hotel room TV with an HDMI cable, then shut the lid, making the TV the only screen from the laptop, then use a Bluetooth mouse to open and then watch Sky Go.

If you try to do this with the laptop screen open, it recognises a second screen and the protection kicks in.

Sadly, there is no way I have ever found of "casting" Sky Go as it uses a wide range of protection technology to stop the content being shared.

I agree that using it on a bigger screen when travelling should be much easier, especially for the price paid and I would add the picture quality should be increased dramatically as well.

This is a big advantage of NOW TV v. "full Sky" in my view, as you can use the app on multiple devices very easily and in better quality.

-------------------------

LG OLED | Sky Q | EE TV Pro | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Howsmydiving 

It isn't possible to do this with a tablet like an iPad as it is blocked due to rights restrictions but you can connect a laptop to a TV as there is no restriction on doing this. Casting either device isn't possible either.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

@Howsmydiving 

I too am a Platinum VIP and am fairly sure that I have no such restrictions on my Sky Go...

I watched sky when I was in hospital in 2016 !

This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

What device did you watch it on @Wibbly-Woo?

This message was authored by Wibbly-Woo This message was authored by: Wibbly-Woo

Android Tablet

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

Android Tablet

So you were not casting from your tablet to a TV, which is what the OP was asking? 

@stereohaven 

You are correct - but I have used cast from my tablet at my fathers house and using his TV.

@Wibbly-Woo wrote:

@stereohaven 

You are correct - but I have used cast from my tablet at my fathers house and using his TV.

Interesting.

As the Sky Go app doesn't support casting to or from any device to another as far as I have ever been able to establish, then either you are a genius, lucky or we are getting crossed wires! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion