Discussion topic: SKY GO Desktop App Won't Load/Open

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Mr+Benn This message was authored by: Mr+Benn

Re: SKY GO Desktop App Won't Load/Open

Squeels  - can i ask what browser  (Chrome ? )  , and version of that browser your using ?  Thanks 

Sky go should be a nice easy to run app   You get the feeling Sky have it just to say ' we have it'  , but dont care if it works or not. 

This message was authored by Trevor-F This message was authored by: Trevor-F

Hi Yeah I'm Using the most updated Chrome Browser.

Also I had to be sure my internet speed is above 4mbps.

Anything below that it won't work.

This message was authored by SM909 This message was authored by: SM909

Hi All, I was having iussues with the new sky go app working for ages, just would'nt start after initial intro screen. 

My issue was solved by uninstalling both skygo and cisco video guard then manually deleting two folders in "appdata".

Then I reinstalled skygo app and everthing works fine. 

Two folders are:

1) C:\Users\"choose your user name"\AppData\LocalLow\Cisco

2) C:\Users\"choose your user name"\AppData\Roaming\Sky Go

This message was authored by lucyrokket123 This message was authored by: lucyrokket123

I followed all your instructions to no avail I'm afraid to report. I have been trying to get the SkyGo for months since it changed. Never used to have any bother. I think that's me and Sky finished. Thanks for your input, just thought you would appreciate some feedback.

Hi Bud, sorry to hear that didn't work. Can you describe the issue you re having?  I.e. have you down loaded the new sky go app and has it ever worked?

If it has never worked then you may need to uninstall it and uninstall cisco videoguard (which is a load of crap anyway). Then use a programme like cc-cleaner (which is free) to clear all your junk files and also scan your registry for errors and let cc-cleaner fix that too.  Then manually search for any left over skygo or cisco videoguard related folders/files in c: drive and user folders and manually delete those, before then restarting and doing a fresh install of skygo.  Also worth checking if a firewall or antivirus is interfering with the install.  Anyway let me know more about the issue you're having and i'll have a think?

This message was authored by wheil007 This message was authored by: wheil007

Hello SM909,

I am having all the same issues as everyone else. I have a HP laptop with Windows 10. I get as far as the blue screen with green arrow, it states checking and downloading updates then freezes. I have spent the last few hours following your instructions exactly then different variations.

After uninstalling everything including searching for left over files and removing them, I installed the suggested CCleaner (great free program by the way), and removed, scanned and cleaned as suggested. Then when I download sky go again, it just downloads and installs CISCO with it anyway, and I get the exact same issues. So I then removed CISCO and all related files on their own, leaving sky go, did another CCleaner remove and scan, and now it won't even start the app. Restarted the pc and still same. I use Express VPN too, and I have tried all the above with it both on and off.

I have also added the CISCO and sky go files to the firewall and ticked both public and private boxes.

I used to use the app with no issues, then my hard drive died. I've just had it replaced, hard drive only, and now I'm getting nothing.

If your super puter brains can work something out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi bud, sorry you are still having issues with it starting, btw what you explained about it loading was the exact same issue I was having. I will have a think about how to resolve another way. Ps you definitely need to have Cisco video card along with sky go app for it to work, I know the Cisco part is trash, but it is part of sky's drm so the sky go app needs it to run on back ground. 

Couple of other questions:

1) When you reinstall the apps apps can you change the file location on your new hard drive I.e. Just slightly altering the file path so it is in a new folder?

2) btw what firewall and antivirus are you running? I run comodo and it allows me to choose what apps can do I.e. Run like updates or limited access etc?

3) your out put Is not a projector or anything like that is it?  I used to do that but sky go then stopped working on projectors?

Hello again,

Thanks for replying.

1) I've never tried changing a file path, but I can't see why it can't be done. Just under the properties of that file I presume?

2) The firewall is the standard windows defender, that comes with windows 10. And I use Avast free anti virus, which I've used for years with no issues - the sky app used to work before with no issues, hence my confusion to why it's no longer working - I didn't have to do anything, it just worked.

3) I don't use a projector, just the simple HDMI to my TV, again as before. However, it doesn't even work just on the laptop.

Hope you can help, thanks.

This message was authored by JonW42 This message was authored by: JonW42

@wheil007 wrote:

Hello again,

Thanks for replying.

1) I've never tried changing a file path, but I can't see why it can't be done. Just under the properties of that file I presume?

2) The firewall is the standard windows defender, that comes with windows 10. And I use Avast free anti virus, which I've used for years with no issues - the sky app used to work before with no issues, hence my confusion to why it's no longer working - I didn't have to do anything, it just worked.

3) I don't use a projector, just the simple HDMI to my TV, again as before. However, it doesn't even work just on the laptop.

Hope you can help, thanks.

Your problem could be that you are using TWO AV programs. Windows Defender is AV, not firewall. Avast is AV. So you have two running scanning at the same time causing the CPU usage to jump too high. You need to dump Avast and then tell Windows Defender to ignore the Sky Go and Cisco directories. Running two AV is a rather bad idea. So uninstall Avast and deal with Windows Defender. One other thing, remove CiscoVideoGardMonitor from starting up when you boot Windows and after you run Sky Go, go to Task manager and kill the CiscoVideoGuardMonitor task. Now do all this and see how Sky Go is working for you.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini

Thanks for the info......you're a genius in my eyes.

All sorted now thanks, it was clearly running the two AV's that was the problem (which I didn't understand at first as it's never caused me any problems before)

For anyone else reading, I uninstalled Avast, Sky Go and Cisco, cleaned up with the CCleaner (cleaner and registry), then removed any remaining files from the appdata folder. Restarted the laptop, re-installed sky go and then allowed both sky go and Cisco videoguard through the firewall BEFORE I started sky go for the first time after the re-install. I finally checked that Cisco Videoguard Monitor wasn't starting up when the pc did (in my case it wasn't selected anyway), and when sky go was running, I checked the Task Manager to turn of the Cisco Videoguard Monitor, but it wasn't running anyway.

Thanks SM909, I'm up and running, you're a star - hope everyone else gets it going too.

Glad to hear it's working bud. Ps if you don't have a firewall I would recommend getting one, and comodo free version is class. Can be a pain having to always grant programmes access etc but it will protect your computer.

@SM909 wrote:

Glad to hear it's working bud. Ps if you don't have a firewall I would recommend getting one, and comodo free version is class. Can be a pain having to always grant programmes access etc but it will protect your computer.

I used to use Comodo. But it ended up beibg a big piece of bloatware. It noticable slowed down the computer. So out it went. I just stick with Windows Defender and Windows Firewal (if needed). The problem is a lot of AV is bloat and slows down the computer. Norton, Avast, Comodo are just three that are pigs.

This message was authored by John674 This message was authored by: John674

deleted all the Cisco stuff and its working now.

Didn't have to remove Sky Go - just the Cisco.

@John674 wrote:

deleted all the Cisco stuff and its working now.

Didn't have to remove Sky Go - just the Cisco.

The Cisco stuff did get reinstalled. Maybe you got a newer version that works better.
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Videoguard is built into the latest update now and is version 11. You should be okay to uninstall version 10 as the Sky Cinema and Sky Sports players still use version 9.

If you're on app version 10.4.5 you'll still need videoguard 10 installed.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion