Mirroring / casting Sky Q

Researcher
Post 1 of 28

Mirroring / casting Sky Q

Sky.  Come on, you need to unlock screen mirroring / casting for the app. 

I pay my subscription,  I have the app on fewer than the allowed number of devices. 

If I want to watch it on my bedroom TV I have to either move my minibox upstairs, buy another minibox,  or put a playstation up there.  

I know you want to take another hundred quid off me for another box - and if I had a shelf to put it on I wouldn't have a major objection to that - but I cannot see the issue with unlocking screen casting to a smart TV.  

I know it's possible because I can get My Sky Q to cast from my xperia to bravia.  I could plug a laptop in and do it that way,  so I cannot for the life of me fathom why you won't let us cast wirelessly...

For what you charge it's not on.... 

All Replies
Boom Operator
Post 2 of 28

Re: Mirroring / casting Sky Q

Yes I totally agree!! Sky when will u bring out an update so we can cast? Loads of free apps do it so y dont you when we are paying customers????

Julie b
Oracle
Post 3 of 28

I doubt it will happen as it will under value the Sky Q Mini.

Annie Sky+HD Customer since 1989 I DO NOT work for sky!
Sky forum Oracle since 2012, Public beta tester for Sky, Apple & Microsoft, Computer analyst/programmer, Web designer, Xbox One X Gamer, I love technology
Executive Producer
Post 4 of 28

@Mycompliantname wrote:

I know you want to take another hundred quid off me for another box - and if I had a shelf to put it on I wouldn't have a major objection to that - but I cannot see the issue with unlocking screen casting to a smart TV.  

The issue is that content viewed via the app on mobile devices (phones/tablets) is only licenced for the device's built-in primary display. This has always been the case for Sky Go as well.

If they were to allow casting/AirPlay etc. then there would be nothing to stop people going to friends houses, pubs etc. and just hooking up their subscription to a big screen TV or projector for all to see.

We all know there is no technological reason why this can't be done. This is about content licencing and nothing else. 

Runner
Post 5 of 28

you can use Sky go on a laptop and then use HDMI to display on a TV, theres really no differance.  

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 28

There's every difference.

You'll notice I deliberately stated phones and tablets. I didn't mention laptops because they are classed as a PC. Since HDMI is a valid monitor connection method on a PC, that cannot be blocked.

As far as the licencing goes, phones and tablets are treated differently to PC's/Macs and Consoles.

While we're at it, why not just unplug your Xbox or PS4 and take that down the pub with you? We're talking convenience here, lugging your laptop to the pub, fiddling around hooking up an HDMI lead to their big screen TV mounted 7 feet up on the wall - it's hardly made easy for you is it? Casting or mirroring from your phone or tablet, well that would be an entirely different matter.

Can other apps do it? Yes, of course they can.

Do other apps have access to all the same content as Sky from all the same providers? No, they don't.

Virgin TV Anywhere - same restrictions.

BT TV app - same restrictions.

Before anyone mentions BT Sport - they own and/or produce all that content themselves so are free to do what they wish with it.

As for Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, neither of those show live TV content, so again - totally different agreements.

These TV apps are designed for convenient viewing on the go, out and about. They are not designed for pushing to a big screen, that is what your set-top box is for.

Researcher
Post 7 of 28

If it's just live broadcasts which fall foul of the license, block output of that but let us stream downloaded or on demand content. 

Personally I don't watch any live TV,  I don't have time and most of it's rubbish anyway,  I basically pay £60 a month for Sky Cinema on demand. I fail to see why the app can't be brought into line with Netflix,  Prime Video etc and enable wireless streaming of on demand content. 

Realistically,  the only thing anyone would conceivably want to live stream down the pub would be football,  so if wireless streaming live broadcasts was blocked,  how is it a problem to allow wireless streaming on demand? 

I can put Prime and Netflix on as many devices as I like and watch it anywhere. Both of those services are under a tenner a month. Sky costs me 4 times as much as I pay for those 2 services combined, but let's me do less with what I've paid for... 

Three is no reason why sky cannot enable wireless streaming of on demand services. 

Oracle
Post 8 of 28

@Mycompliantname wrote:

Three is no reason why sky cannot enable wireless streaming of on demand services. 

This has already been answered above.

Annie Sky+HD Customer since 1989 I DO NOT work for sky!
Sky forum Oracle since 2012, Public beta tester for Sky, Apple & Microsoft, Computer analyst/programmer, Web designer, Xbox One X Gamer, I love technology
Executive Producer
Post 9 of 28

I've already said that we know there is no technological reason why Sky can't enable it so there is clearly another reason. I'll try and explain it in simple terms.

Sky source content from multiple content providers and each one will have their own licencing agreements with restrictions/limitations on what Sky can or can't do with that content. It only needs one of those providers to stipulate in their terms that Sky's mobile apps cannot be capable of outputting content to external displays and that is it - end of. You either accept that condition or you don't carry their content.

Also, given that the Virgin TV Anywhere and BT TV apps are subject to the exact same restrictions (including the limitation on number of concurrent devices) it would suggest that the issue is not with Sky's unwillingness to provide the feature. It is far more likely that one of the major providers (I've no idea which) is making the above demand.

This is also supported by the fact that BT Sport, who own all the channels and content that their app shows, are able to support casting/mirroring.

Whether you personally watch or are interested in live content is of no relevance - the app shows live content so must meet whatever conditions are placed on the provision of that content.

Like I said, the apps are designed for on the go convenience, not to be used as a primary viewing source on a large screen.

Researcher
Post 10 of 28

All very impressive Sky knowledge, but you're missing the point.

Netflix and Prime - and no doubt other platforms - can wirelessly cast on demand content to a smart TV. 

I understand why we can't stream live content wirelessly, and I'm not interested in live content. The only channel which gets watched live in my house is Cartoon Network. 

What I want Sky to do is enable wireless streaming of on demand content. If I go on holiday and download some films onto my phone for the kids, it would be nice to be able to put them up onto a TV for them. 

We we all know, as you rightly say, that it's technologically possible for the app to be as selective as it likes. We all know that if content has different licensing terms, the DRM could easily enable or disable casting on a case by case basis. 

We all know that there is no GOOD reason why the content which CAN be streamed wirelessly, currently is blocked. 

What I want Sky to do is update the app so that it doesn't block content which can be streamed. 

Oh, and bring back the remote control function to the app.

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about Sky Q. In many ways Sky+ HD was so much better...

Executive Producer
Post 11 of 28

I do believe I already explained that as well.

It only needs one content provider to require that the app not be capable of connecting to or using external displays and the entire feature would have to be disabled/unavailable. It doesn't matter if the app can be selective about which content is "castable", if the condition says that the app cannot be capable of it at all, then that is that. Sky either have to accept that minor limitation or not carry the content.

Like I said, this isn't just Sky being bloody minded, other providers are subject to the exact same restrictions. It is quite clearly a condition of (at least) one of the content licencing agreements.

Researcher
Post 12 of 28

I haven't seen the licensing agreements between Sky or anyone else, but knowing what is available on both prime and Netflix, I cannot believe that it's a blanket ban. There's not much stuff on Sky which doesn't come from the same providers as the content on other services. 

Take the film Child 44. It's been on the Sky Store for ages but not on Cinema. It showed up on Prime for free and I cast it to a TV. 

There aren't THAT many film distributors and I'd be highly surprised if there was JUST ONE, and who ONLY distributes to Sky, who says we can't cast downloaded movies from a device.

So defend Sky all you like, but what we ask for is feasible, I suspect it is simply just that Sky won't do it. 

Oracle
Post 13 of 28

That one title may be available from other sources, but many aren't. 

Also, BT have added Chromecast support to BT Sport, yet not on BT TV. If anyone were likely to support it,then it would have been them. I think that shows the technical hassles (maintaining an extra data field in the EPG to indicate whether casting is allowed) isn't worth the hassle.

New Viewer
Post 14 of 28

What if you have a projector that has android wifi etc. Could you download the sky go app onto the projector, sign in and watch it from there? 

Runner
Post 15 of 28

What if you don't have a laptop lol

@Scud2012 wrote:

you can use Sky go on a laptop and then use HDMI to display on a TV, theres really no differance.