Discussion topic: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch & Technical Enquiries

82bit
Topic Author
This message was authored by 82bit This message was authored by: 82bit

Re: Sky Live Glass Camera Launch

If only I knew someone else with Sky Glass I could watch along with! Literally no one in my social circle has, or wants Glass. 😂

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Glass 65” with Sky Live
Sky Glass 43” with Sky Live
Sky Stream Puck + Sky Soundbox
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@82bit only affects the watch together function the video calling uses zoom so is independent of whether people have Sky Live or not.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@TimmyBGood 

Yeah bit annoying as well if you have things already in your HDMI sockets as well I have 4 devices plugged into mine yes one is stream but I can imagine lot of people have 4 HDMI devices they normally plug in. 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

First impressions from what hifi

https://www.whathifi.com/features/ive-tried-the-new-sky-live-camera-for-sky-glass-and-its-better-tha...

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

@Chrisee 

That limits it even more though more people will have an iPhone then they will have a Sky Glass TV so if you want that experience just get an Apple TV box and save yourself money and get additional features. 

@CardiffMan1992 dont follow your logic there is a Zoom app for ios devices and Apple TV are excellent streaming boxes but lack a camera. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee 

Oh you haven't heard Apple announced the new update for TVOS coming September will support continuity camera which means you can use your iPhone as a camera for Apple TV for FaceTime and Zoom calls and other bits on TV. 

basically what you can do now with Macs but for the Apple TV box

@CardiffMan1992 no I hadn't but given Apple's likely pricing that is going to be more expensive than even Sky's. 😀

There are many alternatives of course for messaging etc and the point I have seen in the reviews is Sky may have missed the Covid messaging boom. Time will tell. However Sky Live is not a closed messaging system.

@Chrisee 

Err it's free if you have a iPhone as it uses that camera all someone would need is a little mount for the iPhone to either sit on top of the TV or tripod sit on the side. I've used continuity for my MacBook in past.  

But I agree the video calling boom is defo over at this point. 

82bit
Topic Author

@Chrisee can you ask why Sky insist on running a credit check when the pay in full option is selected? Is this a mistake or intentional? Can't proceed with the order until the box is ticked confirming you consent to this credit search? 

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~
This message was authored by Tim+Adams This message was authored by: Tim+Adams

@82bit 

It's more to do an ID check and verify those details, also happens if you buy Glass outright and some other Sky products.

Thanks,

Tim

Sky Glass with Sky Live, Sky Stream & Sky Protect - FTTP 2Gbps
82bit
Topic Author

Seems a bit obtuse, what with payment provider verification too. Regardless, ordered! 

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~
This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

@CardiffMan1992 wrote:

@Chrisee 

Err it's free if you have a iPhone as it uses that camera all someone would need is a little mount for the iPhone to either sit on top of the TV or tripod sit on the side. I've used continuity for my MacBook in past.  

But I agree the video calling boom is defo over at this point. 

You're right - all free if you have compatible Apple kit. I'm running the latest betas on 2 Apple TVs, an iPhone 12 and an iPad Mini 6th gen  and I've tested it and it works really well. Of course, it uses Apple's FaceTime so whoever you're calling will need to be running Apple kit with iOS and tvOS 17.

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Chrisee wrote:

the point I have seen in the reviews is Sky may have missed the Covid messaging boom.

Zoom themselves appear to think so:

The firm's revenue more than tripled in 2020 and grew about 55% in 2021. But last year, the gains slowed to the single digits and its profits dropped sharply.

Shares in the company have plunged more than 80% from their 2020 peak.

" Zoom cuts 15% of staff in post-pandemic 'reset' " (BBC News) 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion