Discussion topic: Sky Glass

This message was authored by Mr+rightxx This message was authored by: Mr+rightxx

Sky Glass

Can i just purchase theb sky glass tv without the package? i already have sky tv but i dont want to have another sky subscription. 

I just want a tv so i can use it as a smart tv only.

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Re: Sky Glass

@Mr+rightxx wrote:

Can i just purchase theb sky glass tv without the package? i already have sky tv but i dont want to have another sky subscription. 

I just want a tv so i can use it as a smart tv only.

You'd have to buy one second hand. Sky only sell them with the streaming subscription attached. 

Oh, and they're not a smart TV without a subscription. They become a very limited monitor with a fairly decent speaker system. 

Mr+rightxx
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mr+rightxx This message was authored by: Mr+rightxx

Thats good to know thanks for that i may just purchase a normal smart tv which would be cheaper in the long run.

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Mr+rightxx wrote:

Thats good to know thanks for that i may just purchase a normal smart tv which would be cheaper in the long run.

Yes. Most modern smart TV's are cheaper and offer much more versatility than Sky Glass. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mr+rightxx 

As indicated, you should only consider a second-hand Glass set if you can obtain it at a small fraction of the retail price or you really like the design aesthetic.

Having said that, owners are now discovering they basically have to give the things away to get rid of them, particularly as shipping is essentially impossible and it has to be 'buyer collects'.

Sky describes the television without a subscription here but note their use of the word 'normal' is somewhat questionable.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

There is a significant design defect with Sky Glass TVs without a subscription.

To access apps the TV must be connected to the internet!

To access DTT channels the TV must be disconnected from the internet!

A normal TV does not need to be disconnected from the internet to access DTT🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

There is a significant design defect with Sky Glass TVs without a subscription.

To access apps the TV must be connected to the internet!

To access DTT channels the TV must be disconnected from the internet!

A normal TV does not need to be disconnected from the internet to access DTT🤔

It's likely by design rather than a defect. Im

sure Sky knew exactly what they were doing implementing it this way, all about trying to make it inconvenient so people don't cancel their subs.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

That would make it defective design🤔

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Well it's not defective if sky purposely did it this way.

i can't see how this isn't by design as it's completely stupid and is something they would have noticed from the outset.

NOT a Sky Employee

Do you know of any other Normal TV .... with the same defective design😉

The fact you have to disconnect from the internet to active DTT is an hilarious piece of defective design🤣

Exiled in HH

"defective" means it isn't working as intended. I'm pretty sure this is exactly as Sky intended it to work when designing it to encourage people to not cancel their Sky sub if they purchase a glass 😛

Shouls it work like this - no-  but doesn't mean it's defective at all

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

I imagine the logic is thus :

users don't need freeview as they have a tv guide 

let's build one in in case their internet goes down ..... it will only kick in as a failsafe !

the bit missing from the logic is what if the user cancels their subscription......

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

Which certainly does mean it is defective design🤣

It is not good design... it is not just bad design it is absolute defective design🤔

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion