Discussion topic: Sky Glass Picture Quality

This message was authored by Justin_A This message was authored by: Justin_A

Sky Glass Picture Quality

Hi All,

I have been a Sky TV customer for 22 years.

Last 5 years had Sky Q with entertainment (Signature), Ultimate add on, Sky Cinema, F1 Channel, HD & Multiscreen. Was very happy with Sky Q, we were out of contract, despite talking to customer services several times since black Friday and retentions last week, I was only able to achieve a £8.00 per month saving for a signing up to another 18 month contract.

I have looked at Sky Glass since they were launched, up to now, they were cost neutral so continued with Q.

Last Friday, I took the plunge and ordered a small Sky Glass with Cinema, Sports, whole of house etc. It was delivered yesterday, loving the stream and playlists, sound quality, but wish I had done more research on this forum with reference to picture quality. The Sky F1 uhd channel is very good picture quality, standard HD is not as good as our 5 year old Samsung smart TV even when set to vivid.

So after 1 day we have a decision to make. Do we keep the Glass or return on the cooling off period? One option would be to move to Stream and purchase a new Samsung 4k smart TV. Looking at the cost of stream, this will increase my monthly payment a little.

Will continue to yesterday tonight, I am due a telephone call from Sky tomorrow so will express my disappointment and see what happens.

All Replies

This message was authored by TwoBit This message was authored by: TwoBit

Re: Sky Glass Picture Quality

Was thinking of changing from Q to glass as could do with a new tv, plus I believe the multiroom with the puk is UHD, but after reading your post I think I'll stick with Q as was curious as to what the picture quality was like.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You will be better off buying a better branded TV for about the same price as Sky charge. These TVs will be more up to date and have better components in them.

im not really sure what the glass market is nowadays unless Sky bring out new models every year like most manufacturers they will always be outdated and that they are overcharging people for dated tech. Sky should just keep to what they are better at which is concentrating on the boxes.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

@TwoBit you don't need to get a Sky Glass TV to have UHD via Pucks... You just need to switch to Sky Stream with Pucks🤔

You can still get a good quality TV and connect a puck to it😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Justin_A @TwoBit 

The current Glass model has been on sale for more than two years, is a pandemic manufactured product, and actually more expensive now than at launch.  Spending the same amount on any 2022-23 non-Sky set of the same size and using that with a Stream puck will almost certainly get you a far 'better' product, possibly apart from audio output.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Justin_A and @TwoBit 

I was a happy Sky Q subscriber until I moved property 18 months ago and could no longer get access to a satellite dish.  Unfortunately at that time there was no option to have a Stream puck without a Glass TV.  The sound quality from Glass was excellent but not earth shattering as the adverts would suggest.  The picture quality was not so good but improved with some software updates from Sky. Mind you the technology is now 2 years old.

A month ago I took advantage of the Samsung Black Friday deals with £200 off a S90C 65" TV and a Samsung soundbar of my choice and half price.  I now have a stunning picture and sound experience and wonder why I didn't make the switch from Glass to Stream ages ago.  My advice would be to consider a new 4K Smart TV coupled with a soindbar and stream puck.

The streaming platform is not perfect but then neither was Sky Q.  My main critisism is the poor implementation of the continue watching function and the disappearing progress bars.

I have now got so used to the convenience of streaming that I would not even consider going back to Sky Q.  

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fothergill1 wrote:

@Justin_A and @TwoBit 

A month ago I took advantage of the Samsung Black Friday deals with £200 off a S90C 65" TV and a Samsung soundbar of my choice and half price.  I now have a stunning picture and sound experience 

To be fair, that's an OLED at a rather higher price than Glass, so really ought to be an improvement ; )

My main objection to Glass is that sets which now cost considerably less are also better....

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Andrew+Oldham This message was authored by: Andrew+Oldham

Took the plunge and ordered the 65" Sky Glass.

What a disaster from Panther appauling delivery drivers who would set it up or take the box.

They arrived an hour and twenty minutes before the earliest delivery time i had been given. Two men who were down right rude and offered no customer service at all.

As for Sky Glass its either a very cheap screen or it was faulty.

Picture quality is so poor compared to my LG OLED TV. Vivid does nothing and Sky Customer service was the worst ive experienced in over 25 years. I have now requested a return its flat and lifeless and beyond poor if youve paid £200 for a TV you will probably get a better picture. Dont waste your time its zero out of 10 for Panther and minus 100 for Sky Glass

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion