Discussion topic: Serious issues with Sky glass

This message was authored by Clive+C60 This message was authored by: Clive+C60

Serious issues with Sky glass

Had our Sky Glass now for three months and things are not getting any better.

we have the top broadband with Sky and yet we still have programs hanging, screen going blank, speech not syncing with the sound. If you have a lot of black on the screen it is very patchy with the clearest picture only coming from looking directly head on, if you are at the side the picture is not very clear. If you are to quick on the remote control the tv looses itself and you have to wait for it to catch up.

Are other users experiencing the same issues as it seems they have brought Sky Glass to market before all the issues have been sorted. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

Re: Serious issues with Sky glass

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Clive+C60  Unfortunately the picture quality on the Glass TV has never been very good.  As you have found the viewing angle is also important.  I found if we were not almost directly in front of the TV the picture looked washed out.  Using the remote to give too many commands in fairly quick succession does confuse the Glass TV and I found it would lock up and would need a reboot to clear it.

I no longer have Glass and have moved to a Stream puck combined with a new Samsung TV and soundbar which although a little more expensive is way better viewing experience.  Also the puck  seems to give me less issues than Glass.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Clive+C60 wrote:

Had our Sky Glass now for three months and things are not getting any better.

we have the top broadband with Sky and yet we still have programs hanging, screen going blank, speech not syncing with the sound. If you have a lot of black on the screen it is very patchy with the clearest picture only coming from looking directly head on, if you are at the side the picture is not very clear. If you are to quick on the remote control the tv looses itself and you have to wait for it to catch up.

Are other users experiencing the same issues as it seems they have brought Sky Glass to market before all the issues have been sorted. 

The viewing angle issues are not fixable - they are a limitation of the panel type used in Sky Glass.

Sky Glass uses a mid-range, VA type, backlit LCD panel. These panels are well known to have limited viewing angles on all TVs from all manufacturers who use them. They can offer slightly better contrast than IPS type panels (which have wider viewing angles) but it's always been the case that unless you view straight on, you will get some degradation in colour quality. 

If image quality is high on your priority list in a TV then Glass may not be the wisest choice I'm afraid. 

Any half decent OLED or MiniLED TV combined with a Sky Stream puck will give you a much better picture quality and a more versatile streaming experience.  

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1 Answer

@Clive+C60  Unfortunately the picture quality on the Glass TV has never been very good.  As you have found the viewing angle is also important.  I found if we were not almost directly in front of the TV the picture looked washed out.  Using the remote to give too many commands in fairly quick succession does confuse the Glass TV and I found it would lock up and would need a reboot to clear it.

I no longer have Glass and have moved to a Stream puck combined with a new Samsung TV and soundbar which although a little more expensive is way better viewing experience.  Also the puck  seems to give me less issues than Glass.

This message was authored by peter-marlow+1966 This message was authored by: peter-marlow+1966

How is the tv connected  to  the Internet,  and what speed are getting ?the best connection  to the Internet  is an ethernet  cable  more reliable 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@peter-marlow+1966 wrote:

How is the tv connected  to  the Internet,  and what speed are getting ?the best connection  to the Internet  is an ethernet  cable  more reliable 

This ! If you have a poor wifi network reaching your tv it will affect all sorts 

the tv is hungry for speed and signal consistency.....

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Andy190 This message was authored by: Andy190

We have Sky Glass and have similar issues, eg Subtitles disappear particularly on BBC and ITV.  We have to switch off at mains and re-boot.  Screen freezing and then going into double speed to catch up, sound disappearing for a few seconds.

we have Sky Internet and a puck feeding a Samsung TV with no issues. Our signal is via Bluetooth, to run an Ethernet cable from the Router to the TV would be impractical.

Sky Glass is certainly better than it was a couple of years ago but still very frustrating.

@Andy190 wrote:

We have Sky Glass and have similar issues, eg Subtitles disappear particularly on BBC and ITV.  We have to switch off at mains and re-boot.  Screen freezing and then going into double speed to catch up, sound disappearing for a few seconds.

we have Sky Internet and a puck feeding a Samsung TV with no issues. Our signal is via Bluetooth, to run an Ethernet cable from the Router to the TV would be impractical.

Sky Glass is certainly better than it was a couple of years ago but still very frustrating.

Cheap option is powerline adapters .... the tv is limited to 100mbs on Ethernet so the cheapest set will be fine 

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Fra This message was authored by: Fra

Hi my sky tv voice recognition doesn't work on my tv. I have made sure it's connected as a blue tooth device.

when I hold the button down all it does immediately appears on the screen I can't do that. When I also use the home button the tv guide is also

missing and play list. Can someone please advise me what to do.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Fra Try rebooting your Glass TV as this will clear most software glitches.  To do this just unplug it at the wall socket for a couple of minutes and then plug it in again.  It will take about a minute to reboot.

If that doesn't work try resetting and re pairing the remote as follows:

1. Press 7 and 9 together on your Sky remote for three seconds (This resets/clears the remote)
  2. Press 1 and 3 together for three seconds (bluetooth mode).  A connected message should appear on your screen, press continue and it's all done.

This message was authored by Fra This message was authored by: Fra

Hi there thank you 

I've tried both unfortunately it hasn't worked.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Fra you need help from Sky so I have escalated your post to the Sky team who support the forum who should be in touch soon to offer you a private chat session to get this sorted. Keep an eye onnthe forum as if you miss the message just click the chat icon which will be added to the forum pages for you to use.saving a long phone call.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you @Fra . If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Neil19761 This message was authored by: Neil19761

Hi Lisa could you please contact me regarding an issue I'm having with my sky glass tv not happy and want.this sorting before I cancel tnx 

@Neil19761 wrote:

Hi Lisa could you please contact me regarding an issue I'm having with my sky glass tv not happy and want.this sorting before I cancel tnx 

What's your issue? We can try to help before escalating it to the online team 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion