Discussion topic: Poor sky glass experience

This message was authored by Squirrel172 This message was authored by: Squirrel172

Poor sky glass experience

Had sky glass for few months and have to say massively disappointed in the whole experience. The tv itself is average quality at best. Not even a smart tv as you cannot access the internet on app.  So many annoying problems with the remote, try adding programs to the playlist that are ignored. Subtitles are appalling for the 20th century let alone 21st. I had hoped we would get to know the system better as time went on. I would give it up but had rehomed our old tv. I would welcome our skyq to run alongside it as insurance for a wifi blackout can sky send me one @Sky 

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Poor sky glass experience

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Squirrel172 

You aren't talking to Sky, this is a public customer to customer forum. If you are in your 31 days you can reject Glass and return it, if you have had it longer than this sky may allow you to get Q back and pay for the TV, but you will need to contact Sky Customer Service.

As for insurance for WiFi outage, Glass comes with TV aerial socket so you can use Freeview if the internet goes down.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Squirrel172 wrote:

The tv itself is average quality at best.

That's pretty much what every independent review concluded back at launch in October 2021: so far there's not been any hardware revisions so the sets are fundamentally the same (although software is undoubtedly improved)

Not even a smart tv as you cannot access the internet on app. 

As above.  It's perhaps worth noting that Glass is of course accessing the internet all the time for every app: what it doesn't have is a web browser.

I would welcome our skyq to run alongside it as insurance for a wifi blackout can sky send me one 

No: it's not possible to subscribe to Q (and so legitimately possess a Q box) while having a subscription on Glass at the same address.  You could choose to cancel Ultimate TV on Glass (keeping the set and making the loan repayments, if applicable) if you were outside a minimum contract term, then subscribe to Q.

Another 'backup' for Glass would be a Freesat 4K box on the satellite dish cable and connected to Glass over HDMI.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Squirrel172 wrote:

Had sky glass for few months and have to say massively disappointed in the whole experience. 

After a 'few months' you would need to successfully argue under consumer protection legislation that the system was not as described / of adequate quality / fit for purpose in order to reject it and return to Q without penalty.

Squirrel172
Topic Author
This message was authored by Squirrel172 This message was authored by: Squirrel172

Never knew about thd aerial. Can thd old sky q satellite dish plug in to give me free to air channels?

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

No it an aerial connection not a dish connection😉

Exiled in HH

@Squirrel172 wrote:

Can thd old sky q satellite dish plug in to give me free to air channels?

No: as @Exiled-in-HH indicates the tuner in Glass is for digital terrestrial television (typically referred to as 'Freeview') which is transmitted from a local mast and received through a traditional rooftop 'bent metal' aerial, or possibly an indoor antenna in a strong signal area.

As I mentioned above, the appropriate product for the equivalent satellite dish reception is a Freesat 4K box: note that older Freesat and Freesat HD boxes will not work with a Sky Q LNB on the dish.

Squirrel172
Topic Author

So how do i access thaf on scredn,does it just take over the tv guide?@TimmyBGood

@Squirrel172 

You'd select the appropriate HDMI input for the Freesat 4K box through the Glass interface: the box will have its own remote control, EPG, apps and a hard drive if you opted for a model which records.

Squirrel172
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood how about freeview,does that need a freeview box or straight form wall via aerial cable?

@Squirrel172 

Either of those, but an external box is more flexible when used with Glass.

Squirrel172
Topic Author

Thank you for the tips@TimmyBGood

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

To use the aerial connection on the Sky Glass TV requires disconnecting from the internet, which activates the Sky Glass DTT epg.

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion