Discussion topic: HDR10+ Support

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: HDR10+ Support

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SlenderRobert wrote:

@nigea99 wrote:

I was unaware of how much HDR10+ was on Prime

Prime Video have been big on HDR10+ for several years. They did some sort of deal with Samsung (who have never had Dolby Vision on their TVs) so that the Prime app on Samsung TVs would offer it.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-and-amazon-prime-video-first-to-launch-hdr10-content 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@rapmo 

It would have done the world a favour if Samsung supported Dolby Vision which is way ahead of HDR10+ in quality.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
rapmo
Topic Author
This message was authored by rapmo This message was authored by: rapmo

I appreciate your opinion but I have to disagree. 
HDR10+ is open source and it's dynamic metadata. 
Samsung only did it because Dolby behaved as spoilt brat and said they would be no one if don't pay and adopt DV. 
has been years since and Samsung still beating any other TV manufacture in sales, and even made studios adopt the format. 

but I respect your opinion 😉

@rapmo 

Dolby Vision has dynamic metadata with a depth of twelve bits whereas HDR10+ is only ten bits process, and almost every other TV platform supports Dolby Vision from studio to UHD HDR TV apart from Samsung hence the comment!

And it is hard to beat an OLED screen...

The format should be ditched the war has already been won and DV won it years ago... 😉

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
rapmo
Topic Author

Samsung and have OLED, NO TV can use 12bit or even close to that, welcome to marketing. 

the world should never win to one thing, options are always better than forced to one thing. 

Again, happy you love your DV - I have a Sony OLED A95k and prefer my Samsung S95C, but hey, just my preference 😜 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@rapmo wrote:

the world should never win to one thing, options are always better than forced to one thing.

No, not really.  Domestic video would never have been so widely adopted (and hence cheap) if the format war hadn't come up with a definitive winner and no subsequent 'choice' because that creates a single global mass market and so generates extremely effective competition between manufacturers trying to get a share of it.  Likewise DVD, Blu-ray, 35mm film, 'floppy' disks, 7" vinyl singles, mains electricity...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Format_war 

rapmo
Topic Author

It's online world now - no more physical demand for formats. 

I'm not here to say A or B is better, that's not my goal. 

Sky is part of Comcast, the mother company adopted the format, I just want to understand if Sky is having it for OnDemand and Apps, that's all. 

Google Chromast supports it, Amazon Fire TV supports it, Apple TV supports it, even Roku supports the format. 

Sky can we have an update? Thanks 😊 

@rapmo 

With 20th Century Fox now on the DV with Disney and Google rumours of supporting Dolby Vision, it is over for HDR10+ and is an extra stage for downgrading the picture quality from DV to HDR10/HDR10+ for studios. Everybody masters Dolby Vision even an iPhone!

It is only Samsung that is holding on to the format that nobody masters the original for these days, so an extra process for conversion and manpower to do so from DV to HDR10/HDR10+.

-------

@rapmo wrote:

Sky can we have an update? Thanks 😊 

'Sky' typically never comments on such things here.

This message was authored by Mazitron This message was authored by: Mazitron

Nope not all TVs support dolby vision. Samsung TVs only support HDR10+ its qctually a lot better format in many ways. 99% of TVs that claim to have dolby vision cant even reach 1000nits so its pointless having dolby vision in the first place if HDR on the tv is practically non existant.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion