Discussion topic: Glass Tv Motherboard gone after 2 years

This message was authored by 65jspur This message was authored by: 65jspur

Glass Tv Motherboard gone after 2 years

Had my sky glass tv for just over 2 years and yesterday it kept telling me I had a technical issue. I had a totally blue screen and nothing else. Spoke to sky and it turns out it had not loaded the software update correctly and after many attempts by the man at sky, he was helpful, it was discovered my motherboard needs replacing for, wait for it. £659. I only paid that for the tv in the first place.

cannot believe after 2 years tv is virtually worthless. Obviously not built to last. To add insult to injury was told I could not just buy another tv and go back to sky Q as I am still in my streaming contract. So no tv, but do still have my streaming contract for a tv I cannot watch.Terrible service from sky, thought they would change my contract. 

Has this happened to anyone else after such a short time???

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Glass Tv Motherboard gone after 2 years

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@65jspur wrote:

it was discovered my motherboard needs replacing for, wait for it. £659. I only paid that for the tv in the first place.

I suspect that is the cost of a whole replacement television: the board in a Glass television is a fairly tiny and frankly antique ARM unit with correspondingly low cost.  There are typically a few around on eBay, and obviously rather more inside second-hand Glass units: in theory a transplant from a set with a smashed panel might be viable.

1000000144.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Hi @65jspur 

Sky offer a 2 year warranty after this they will only offer a replacement: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/warranty-sky-glass

However Sky do have a repair partner called ServiceTech. See: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-glass-tv-repairs

They might be able to replace the board. However just to checkz did Sky go though the recovery proceedure etc with you?

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@65jspur wrote:

Had my sky glass tv for just over 2 years and yesterday it kept telling me I had a technical issue. I had a totally blue screen and nothing else. Spoke to sky and it turns out it had not loaded the software update correctly and after many attempts by the man at sky, he was helpful, it was discovered my motherboard needs replacing for, wait for it. £659. I only paid that for the tv in the first place.

cannot believe after 2 years tv is virtually worthless. Obviously not built to last. To add insult to injury was told I could not just buy another tv and go back to sky Q as I am still in my streaming contract. So no tv, but do still have my streaming contract for a tv I cannot watch.Terrible service from sky, thought they would change my contract. 

Has this happened to anyone else after such a short time???

Outrageous. At the very least they should provide you with a Stream puck which would allow you to receive and view your subscription channels on a different TV. Have you suggested that to them?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@65jspur wrote:

it was discovered my motherboard needs replacing for, wait for it. £659. I only paid that for the tv in the first place.

I suspect that is the cost of a whole replacement television: the board in a Glass television is a fairly tiny and frankly antique ARM unit with correspondingly low cost.  There are typically a few around on eBay, and obviously rather more inside second-hand Glass units: in theory a transplant from a set with a smashed panel might be viable.

1000000144.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
65jspur
Topic Author

Thank you so much, might be worth looking into

65jspur
Topic Author

Yes he did go through everything and do not qualify after two years for. Replacement unfortunately 

65jspur
Topic Author

Just plugged in Ethernet cable and all working, sky never told me to do that, everything back and working ok

65jspur
Topic Author

Just thought if I plug the Ethernet cable in would it work that way, well I does and it was never suggested I plug it into tv directly, but everything up and running now, thanks for suggestions 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

I'm glad it's working ! For anyone who has a faulty tv after the warranty period you can pick up very inexpensive glass tv s on the used market and add them to your account (you may have to call sky to swap the main device on your account if you don't have whole home package)

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion