Discussion topic: Ad skipping

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Re: Ad skipping

@Southbynorth What Sky have done with Sky subscription channels on Sky Stream is a revenue switch from HD to Ad Skipping compared to Sky Q😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Paul+Dray This message was authored by: Paul+Dray

The thing I don't like about it is it being called Ad 'Skipping'...it doesn't 'skip' them (ie. Press a single button once and it takes you immediately to the next part of the program) , it merely allows you to 'fast forward' through them and at sometimes fairly slow pace too (depending on the app being used).

When I first got Sky Stream I expected the Ad Skipping feature to be like the equivalent of skipping to the next chapter on a DVD or Blu-ray movie.

————————
Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 50in Plasma TV | Yamaha DSP-AX863 SE AV Amp
Sky Stream Puck; Build: QS030.521.00P | Sky Broadband Ultrafast
————————
This message was authored by Ruthie73 This message was authored by: Ruthie73

Re: Ad skipping total scam

I literally just realised it didnt skip ads! And they made me cancel my ITVX premium subscription making me believe I was getting a good deal with the  £5 🙄! I have renewed my ITVX Premium. 

This message was authored by BlondishChimera This message was authored by: BlondishChimera

Exactly which channels are and are NOT included in Sky's ad skipping feature ? I've found most of channels I watch are NOT included. But I had know way of knowing until I subscribed.

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BlondishChimera 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ad-skipping-sky-glass

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Well,  non of the channels worked, in the sense that the ads were skippable and all you could do was fast forward the ads. Not impressed at all! I've gone back to ITVX premium and CH4 premium. It's worth it for me.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

@Ruthie73  What do you mean none worked. The ad skipping doesn't remove the ads, it allows to fast forward them. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick

It's not what I was led to believe when I signed up. Had I known I wouldn't have opted for it.  Happier now with my ads completely out so all good!

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Jason+Golding 

I have watched a few programmes where the ads have been removed, Curse of Oak Island is one that springs to mind.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@BlondishChimera wrote:

Exactly which channels are and are NOT included in Sky's ad skipping feature ? 

No 'channels' are included, because fast forwarding to content which hasn't been broadcast yet is a logical impossibility.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MPE This message was authored by: MPE

Shouldn't be callsed skipping then, should be called forwarding. + all other channels nor linked to sky you can sort-of skip. press the fast forward a few times and it skips to the end of the adds. Sky are rubbish everyone else can do it better. - they lie

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

Semantics - read what the service offers - no matter what it is called.

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick
This message was authored by stumby This message was authored by: stumby

Interesting subject is there any depth that companies will not go for this is double dipping and just for the fast buck, BT Pro box still has fast forward and is cheaper, done deal.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@stumby wrote:

Interesting subject is there any depth that companies will not go for this is double dipping and just for the fast buck, BT Pro box still has fast forward and is cheaper, done deal.

But note that the BT TV Pro box used in internet mode will not allow you to skip ads on ITV channels...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/ee-and-bt-tv-customers-can-no-longer-skip-adverts-on-i... 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@stumby wrote:

But note that the BT TV Pro box used in internet mode will not allow you to skip ads on ITV channels...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/ee-and-bt-tv-customers-can-no-longer-skip-adverts-on-i... 

And that business model can be retrospectively applied to any such service: see the recent application of unskippable advertising to Prime Video, for example.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion