Discussion topic: Ad Skipping Ending?

This message was authored by WoodyQ This message was authored by: WoodyQ

Ad Skipping Ending?

Got an email today that my free ad skipping will be ending in about a month. I've had Sky Glass + Stream for a little over 2 years I think now. Ad skipping was free for 12 months, then it just got continually extended to the point I had honestly (I admit naively) started to think they'd realised that charging £5/month to do something that has been free on every recordable Sky product since introduction was a little much.

Now, it seems, they may actually be ending the free ad-skipping. Probably just as we've all come to think of it as second nature. And around the time it seems lots of channels like My5 have massively increased the number of ads shown before and during shows. Was 2, then 3, then 5, now it's usually 7 ads per ad break.

Can't lie, I'm not happy they're ending it especially as an additional £5/month is a bit steep. Personally I'd rather get the ad skipping and have to pay to have Netflix. I never use it, don't want it, but it's part of my sub like it or not. Shame the Sky Glass is pretty much useless without a sub otherwise I'd just dump them.

---------------------------------
Sky Glass 55" Ocean Blue Wall Mounted- 5ghz WiFi; (Crossgrade from Sky Q)
Sky Streaming Puck (x1) - ethernet
FTTP 900/900 internet connection (non-Sky)

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Ad Skipping Ending?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Sky have been charging for ad skipping for a while. I could be annoyed that I didn't get it extended for free. You got it longer than expected and knew that you would need to pay for it at some point.

You say Sky glass is useless if you cancel, which is partly true. But you could use a. STB provider by another provider with your glass TV.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
WoodyQ
Topic Author
This message was authored by WoodyQ This message was authored by: WoodyQ

@mikealanr Ok, I honestly didn't know the ad-skipping wasn't being extended for everyone as a general "we really can't charge for this" type attack of conscience. Should have realised, that being Sky that wouldn't be the case.

Regarding using the TV with another STB type device, the Glass isn't really at the better end of 4k TV displays - we have a £200 ASDA one, same size, that has a much better image - and if having to use third party hardware I'd rather have a better TV on the wall.

I think my biggest gripe, especially considering constantly rising costs for everything, I just think £5/month to gain the ability to FF through adverts - something that we've been able to do for free since the days of VHS - is a bit steep. Especially considering ITVX remove adverts completely, no need to FF them, and give you Britbox for £5.99. Yeah, I get that that's their own channel, with more control over the infrastructure. As I said I just wish there was an option for ad-skipping OR Netflix. I know which I'd choose.

---------------------------------
Sky Glass 55" Ocean Blue Wall Mounted- 5ghz WiFi; (Crossgrade from Sky Q)
Sky Streaming Puck (x1) - ethernet
FTTP 900/900 internet connection (non-Sky)
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Mine is also ending after the extended period .... try and look at it as you have saved £5 a month for 2 years .... glass is half full etc 

on the plus side a lot of other users have historically cancelled a package then been offered a discount on that package to take it back ...... 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Isn't part of the Netflix deal ...Sky pay Netflix whether the subscriber uses Netflix or not🤔

Whereas Sky have to pay ITV if you skip ads😉

Exiled in HH

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion