Discussion topic: why does SKY discriminate against peolple who are deaf or hard of hearing

This message was authored by lenshackleton This message was authored by: lenshackleton

why does SKY discriminate against peolple who are deaf or hard of hearing

If someone activates subtitles it is more than likely they want to see subtitles until they cancel them. Why do I have to press 6 buttons on my remote EVERY TIME I want subtitles.

Best Answers
This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR Answer

Re: why does SKY discriminate against peolple who are deaf or hard of hearing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lenshackleton wrote:

Wow that touched a nerve, why the adversarial defensive reply?

I watch on a second box and need subtitles   it is fairly obvious tha that someone without a hearing deficiency is treated differently they don't have to do anything wheresa I am continually forced to go through hoops to get subtitles. What was wrong with the previuos method that triggered such an unhelpful change.

They had to provide Welsh subtitles. You do know that if you go into accessibility you can leave the subtitle selection to on? Or go via the ? Button.

No nerves touched, I use subtitles all the time- don't have a problem 

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@lenshackleton  I'm not sure why you think Sky are discrimating against you, subtitles are being provided as they should be, how you get to them is a different issue, but certainly not a case of discrimination, which would be hard to prove.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR

@lenshackleton wrote:

If someone activates subtitles it is more than likely they want to see subtitles until they cancel them. Why do I have to press 6 buttons on my remote EVERY TIME I want subtitles.

Do you have SkyQ? Hold the voice button and say "subtitles on". Voila. It is not discriminatory to provide Welsh subtitles.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Sky Glass - No Puck
lenshackleton
Topic Author
This message was authored by lenshackleton This message was authored by: lenshackleton

I watch on a second box and need subtitles   it is fairly obvious tha that someone without a hearing deficiency is treated differently they don't have to do anything wheresa I am continually forced to go through hoops to get subtitles. What was wrong with the previuos method that triggered such an unhelpful change.

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR Answer

@lenshackleton wrote:

They had to provide Welsh subtitles. You do know that if you go into accessibility you can leave the subtitle selection to on? Or go via the ? Button.

No nerves touched, I use subtitles all the time- don't have a problem 

Stuart R
Sky Glass - No Puck
lenshackleton
Topic Author

No I wasn't aware of the settings change - not publicised by SKY. Thanks for that solves the problem much obliged

This message was authored by Solair This message was authored by: Solair

I agree. It's one reason I'm thinking of cancelling Sky. It's an extremely annoying change.

This message was authored by Solair This message was authored by: Solair

Using voice commands isn't very straight forward if you're deaf btw!

lenshackleton
Topic Author

Try setting subtitles on in settings. Then you only need to switch them off when you don't need them.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Solair wrote:

I agree. It's one reason I'm thinking of cancelling Sky. It's an extremely annoying change.

Seriously? The functionality is still there. It's a minor change.

This message was authored by DaveAccess This message was authored by: DaveAccess

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

Sorry if the change to subtitles settings caught you by surprise or caused any difficulties. You can absolutely still switch subtitles on permanently by going through to the main Accessibility section in Settings.

For clarification, we published an article on Sky Community on 09 July, admittedly a couple of weeks after the change, which fully explains it:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-TV/Why-are-subtitles-not-staying-on-or-off-on-Sky-Q/ba-p/3726602

We also updated the Help article on sky.com:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/enabling-subtitles

I hope that helps clear up any queries.

Many thanks,

Dave

This message was authored by dixydetorit This message was authored by: dixydetorit

They still DISCRIMINATE to the deaf communities with Sky store movies and its unacceptable!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@dixydetorit wrote:

They still DISCRIMINATE to the deaf communities with Sky store movies and its unacceptable!

In what WAY?

This message was authored by dixydetorit This message was authored by: dixydetorit

For not having them available on sky store movies especially on premium/premier films as standard. They are able to do audio description but exclude  deaf/hearing disabilities  and for over a number  of years with fob off answers that it be later of that year and for over 2 +years is not resolved.   When paying for a Premier film at the high price it should be assessable for all not excluding.

Discrimination to the deaf and hearing disabilities.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion