Discussion topic: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t be s

This message was authored by SammyNagle This message was authored by: SammyNagle

Re: When will Sky change the subtitle font it is terrible?

I have Sky Stream also and one minute the subtitles are large ruining the show am watching and the next thing  the subtitles are small. Can't adjust the size of the subtitles. If Sky want money off their loyal customer then they have to add the option to resize the subtitles. Am paying £50 a month to sky and yet I can't change the size of the subtitles. Its so annoying. Am new to Sky Stream. There's nothing on the puck about resizing the subtitles 

This message was authored by Sarah+Yorksher This message was authored by: Sarah+Yorksher

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

I have emailed AccessibleCustomerService@sky (as appears at the end of Sky subtitled programmes):

Hello

I use subtitles across all platforms that I use.
Sky subtitles are invasive and frequently take up a good portion of the picture. It makes viewing frustrating and takes away from the pleasure of watching Sky programming.

When I watch, for example, BBC iplayer I can choose the size of the text.

The text on Sky is too large. 
There is a thread on the Sky Community Site under Accessibility that has people complaining about this since 2020!
I imagine there is more than one thread.

I ask that you take seriously the difficulties of people with hearing impairments or neurodivergence. 
Kind regards

in the meantime ... Decided to watch Channel 4 news to make the most of the subtitling!

IMG_9343.jpeg

This message was authored by MatJ1970 This message was authored by: MatJ1970

With all the tech available today youd think this could be sorted. I still find this Forum a complete cop out for genuine customer service. Wish i hadnt bought SKY  Glass now im tied into a 5 year contract for a TV which is already obsolete. Upgrades in sound and vision are free on my LG through the app wish Virgin was available in my area.🤔😕

This message was authored by Sarah+Yorksher This message was authored by: Sarah+Yorksher

I honestly don't know if they care. High turnover of customers anyway I assume so some of those being from people with subtitle issues won't be on their radar.

The only changes I could ever see happening would be legislative level and why would that ever happen given that it seems all other platforms (that I've tried) are doing the job properly.

This message was authored by Toto53 This message was authored by: Toto53

Re: Subtitles are far too large and intrusive. Friends and family are furious that subtitles can’t

Subtitles are awful. We are in 2024. That's totally unacceptable.

I have no other choice than using Sky, but it's clearly an awful company.

I will not recommend Sky and will only have bad words for you. Abysmal.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Toto53 wrote:

Subtitles are awful. We are in 2024. That's totally unacceptable.

I have no other choice than using Sky, but it's clearly an awful company.

I will not recommend Sky and will only have bad words for you. Abysmal.

You could read a book, so Sky is not your only choice 🙄

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent - ASD )
This message was authored by Toto53 This message was authored by: Toto53

I do that too thanks. 

But I need Sky to work.

Honestly, I am pretty sure that it is just a matter of goodwill here. They are not willing to spend the money to sort the problem. Technically it can't be that difficult.

They just prefer to ignore all the deaf, hard of hearings and millions of non-native English speakers.

Plain stupid as it would certainly not cost much to do properly.

This message was authored by MatJ1970 This message was authored by: MatJ1970

Helpful. Could appreciate your comment if the service was free.🙄

This message was authored by Bullyforme This message was authored by: Bullyforme

Re: Sky are not interested in this as many have asked for 4 years

Paying VIP customers have been ignored for years. why would they start now. ?

This message was authored by Paulmckendry This message was authored by: Paulmckendry

I've been a Sky customer for over 15 years. Its diabolical that despite the huge number of requests from customers for improvements to be made to the MASSIVE subtitles, they have stubbornly refused to do anything about it. 

So thats it for me - over this one issue I'm cancelling my subscription. 

This message was authored by stephenjames This message was authored by: stephenjames

Sky - please can you fix this... it's embarrassing.

This message was authored by Alexier This message was authored by: Alexier

Has this changed yet for sky q?

Having subtitles is important for enhancing viewing but this is taking over the picture. I’m guessing I can change the sizing since this became an issue? 

This message was authored by BlueJD This message was authored by: BlueJD

Nope, still the same old teletext format - everyone needs to write a complaint letter or email rather than complain on this help forum !

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more
This message was authored by Kat70 This message was authored by: Kat70

Thanks for the link. I have emailed my complaint this morning. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion