Discussion topic: Why does Sky / Sky Community refuse me access if I am on VPN?

This message was authored by AJH This message was authored by: AJH

Why does Sky / Sky Community refuse me access if I am on VPN?

I like to keep my Internet activity protected by using a VPN.

For some reason Sky is refusing to allow me to log in using VPN. It states I don't have permission.

So to connecto to Sky / Sky Community I have to remove a level of protection.

Surely this is in contravention to safe browsing?

Regards>
Tony

Best Answers
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

Re: Why does Sky / Sky Community refuse me access if I am on VPN?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

There are some sections of the Sky website that won't work when you are behind a VPN.

Ultimately this isn't uncommon with websites and known VPN IP addresses are typically blocked due to geolocation restrictions. Whilst Sky are happy for parts of their website to be accessed globally certain functionality which is typically subscriber related parts tends to be blocked due to the geolocation restrictions as you need to be in the Uk or ROI to be a Sky customer.

An example I've seen if being able to activate Sky Stream or link it to other apps (e.g Netflix). I've had to disable my VPN to reach those those parts of the Sky site in order to complete my setup in the past.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

AJH
Topic Author

I correct myself. 

I find I can connect to sky.com.

It is only when I try to connect to helpforum.sky.com page that I seem to have this problem.

(Which makes sense as I haven't previously had a probelm with sky.com).

Regards

Tony

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith Answer

There are some sections of the Sky website that won't work when you are behind a VPN.

Ultimately this isn't uncommon with websites and known VPN IP addresses are typically blocked due to geolocation restrictions. Whilst Sky are happy for parts of their website to be accessed globally certain functionality which is typically subscriber related parts tends to be blocked due to the geolocation restrictions as you need to be in the Uk or ROI to be a Sky customer.

An example I've seen if being able to activate Sky Stream or link it to other apps (e.g Netflix). I've had to disable my VPN to reach those those parts of the Sky site in order to complete my setup in the past.

NOT a Sky Employee

AJH
Topic Author

@MarkGoldsmith . Thanky you for your response. I'm aware of VPN restrictions and turn off VPN when I have to. However, I was surprised that Sky Community didn't allow me to connect through VPN.

Having said that, I have just signed in to Sky Community and I am currently on VPN. So I'm not sure what happened before!

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Strange - I've never had an issue accessing the Sky Community on a VPN just some parts of the main Sky.com site.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@AJH wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith . Thanky you for your response. I'm aware of VPN restrictions and turn off VPN when I have to. However, I was surprised that Sky Community didn't allow me to connect through VPN.

Having said that, I have just signed in to Sky Community and I am currently on VPN. So I'm not sure what happened before!

The Sky community gets attached by spammers at times, to stop spammers from countries Sky do not support from gaining access Sky geo lock and VPN lock the forums this reduces the likelyhood of spammers getting onto the forums

Sky support for Sky+HD and earlier systems has ended, you can still get support if you already have Sky Protect insurance otherwise you'll have to find your own 3rd party company to get support from at your own expense

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion