Discussion topic: Sky stream and F1 - watch later - does it work

This message was authored by Mega+jobby This message was authored by: Mega+jobby

Sky stream and F1 - watch later - does it work

Hi all, new here.

Thinking about getting Sky stream basically for F1 first and foremost.

Ive seen other post here saying that Sky Stream due not let you playlist a race and watch it until many hours after the event is over.

Has this been fixed?

Ideally I'd like to be able to rewatch the whole race as live say around 7pm on the Sunday - so maybe 4 hours after it has ended. Can I do this or is it not possible or flakey?

Thanks in advance 

All Replies

This message was authored by Kevjs This message was authored by: Kevjs

Re: Sky stream and F1 - watch later - does it work

In 2021 (last couple of races) it worked fine, but it was an absolute mess in 2022.

Got better as the season went on but couldn't be relied on - some sessions would be there within minutes, others missing the following morning.

4 hours after the race is more likely to work than not though (but Ted's Notebook and the Post Race often became available before the race!)

Didn't succeed once in going out on a Sunday morning and watching the F2 feature race in the hour before the F1 as it was never available, only about a 60% chance of being able to watch it straight after the F1.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mega+jobby wrote:

Thinking about getting Sky stream basically for F1 first and foremost.

If you can get Sky Q and so set a local recording of the live broadcast coverage, that's likely to remain the most reliable method of time-shifted viewing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Agree 100% @Kevjs.  I was so fed up with the F1 coverage that I cancelled Sky Sport at the end of the season and will rely on watching the highlights on the terrestrial channels later in the evening.

I believe you can watch the races live on the Internet but I have never been able to find them so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by 82bit This message was authored by: 82bit

This will be my first season relying on Glass/Stream so I hope there will be minimal frustration. Most races I'll be able to watch live, but there'll be the odd one I'll have to catch up on. 🤞🏻

~-~-~-~-~-~
Sky Glass 65” with Sky Live
Sky Glass 43” with Sky Live
Sky Stream Puck + Sky Soundbox
Sky Stream Puck x3

BT FTTP:
↓920Mbps
↑110Mbps
~-~-~-~-~-~
This message was authored by Kevjs This message was authored by: Kevjs

@Fothergill1 wrote:

Agree 100% @Kevjs.  I was so fed up with the F1 coverage that I cancelled Sky Sport at the end of the season and will rely on watching the highlights on the terrestrial channels later in the evening.

I believe you can watch the races live on the Internet but I have never been able to find them so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Unfortunatly F1 TV Pro is unavailable in the UK, so it's Now TV, Sky or a cable operator.

For watching live Sky Glass has been flawless - much more reliable than Now TV was, and to be fair the on demand is much less sloth like than Now TV ever was (Qatar 2021 still not being avilable the Monday afternoon after the race!).  Not even had the random quality drops Now TV did!

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

Got Glass/Stream in November so didn't bother with the Sports as the season was nearly finished. Just added Sports ready for the upcoming season. Hoping they've had time to work out the issues by now and I can use Sky Sports for this season, but judging by posts on other sports, I'm not too confident and I can see myself cancelling a few races in and going back to highlights on C4.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@ChrisC29 and @82bit , as @Kevjs has said in the post above live coverage was never a problem. On the occasions I had stop watching live mid race and pick it up later it was never there so ended up watching the highlights on C4 later in the evening.  This happened with the last race of the season which was particularly annoying. 

If they have sorted the issues I will consider resubscribibg to Sport at a later date.

The one major problem they resolved in update Q013 was reversing the order of the listings. The latest races are now at the beginning of your playlist and not at the end.  Towards the end of the season you were having to press the right button on your remote well over 100 times to get to the latest races.  If it had appeared correctly in your continue watching rail it would not have been a problem but it never did.

The same problem also applied to the T20 world cup cricket.

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

I'd be watching catch up, not very often I can catch the race live. I did notice the change in the order towards the end of the season which is an improvement. Just hoping the races are going to be there the same day as I normally watch it about 8ish on the Sunday 🤞

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Fothergill1 wrote:

https://www.formula1.com is the legitimate home of information on that: as @Kevjs indicates, in countries where there's an 'official' broadcast partner the F1 app doesn't carry live race video.  By definition, given Sky paid an interestingly large amount for exclusive rights, anywhere offering this to the UK which isn't Sky shouldn't be doing so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

It was extremely hit and miss with how it worked in the months i had it if it's not good this year i will be quite annoyed it shouldn't be that hard.

This message was authored by F1Jon97 This message was authored by: F1Jon97

I had problems with buffering during the Japanese GP last year while watching live.  It did cloud record and each race and watching from the cloud recording at a few mins behind life fixed the buffering problem.

I've never had a cloud recording of an F1 race go missing but I always had to reboot the puck to see it.  Have had some FP's go missing and Teds notebook never got cloud recorded.

In the end I went back to Q and have it all set up for this season ready to go.  Cant be dealing with the hastle of Stream and I like recording things and skipping ads the old fashoned way.

Mega+jobby
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mega+jobby This message was authored by: Mega+jobby

Thanks very much for the responses everyone, appreciate you all taking the time.

In the end I went ahead - a bit of a gamble based on the comments in all honesty but fingers crossed it works better than last year.

Based on this forum it seems like it might be the case that customers are being used as beta testers for products - I've had an electric car that charges at half speed, drones that do their own thing, gps that need firmware from the box etc etc. Seems to be the way of it these days - get the product to market and fix it later.

@Mega+jobby Good luck, only just over 3 weeks to the start of the season 🏎😀.  You should be fine with watching live but catchup is not always available right away. A few times last season I watched the highlights on Channel 4 later in the evening as the race was not yet on catchup.

Sky Glass / stream is improving all the time 😀 so fingers crossed 🤞

This message was authored by Sauzee4 This message was authored by: Sauzee4

Sport continues to be a shambles. Total lottery what events you can watch later. 

8pm Sunday night and the first of the Super Sunday football games not showing yet. The later one is there though...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion